Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fiction books: What are some of your favorite reads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiction books: What are some of your favorite reads?

Reading a great fiction (or heck, even a really good nonfiction, but primarily fiction) novel is one of my guilty pleasures which I can't partake in very often having a family a home and 2 jobs. Recently we went to the Carolinas and rented an Airbnb home for 9 nights and it had a fireplace with a stack of wood. Being a nightshifter, I don't sleep well, so I woke up early often and started the fire and read 2 novels fire-side. It was grand. I love John Grisham, not for the lawyer speak, but for the great storytelling and twists. I read Paper Towns by John Green and The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. Always wanted to get that one read.

What are some reads you'd recommend to a guy like me? I like the page-turners that you can't put down. Not too big on old-world flowery speak so much. Great Gatzby was nearing my limit on that. For the non-readers out there- do you like a good movie? With a book, you're not the writer but you are the director and casting director. A good book is FAR better than a good movie.

I have a collection of over 1000 pieces of chess literature, not exactly 'page turners' for the general population!

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      I was not expecting this! I was on the chess team in high school, went to tournaments in Chicago and New York from Iowa. This winter I installed Lucas Chess on my pc but I just couldn't get into it.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I like chess, I like to think I'm fairly good at it, but gotta be honest probably will never read a book about it.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark V I was a tournament player all through high school. About 20 years ago I re-entered the tournament scene and eventually began instructing for the Berkeley Chess School. When I went full time with UPS it cut into tournament life. Now I'm still on the ICC, but mostly just pass time watching games or solving problems. Never heard of Lucas, I had Chessbase and Fritz.

Ken Follett, Pillars of the Earth.
    With Tom Builder and family.

Always been a favorite of mine.
    Oldie but a Goodie.

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic!

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Put me down as a huge fan of that book too! Good call!

Clive cussler, is one of my favorite authors , he writes of action packed adventures and significant treasure findings. The cool thing about that author is he actually has been on many treasure hunts and found historical pieces, and sunken ships. He runs a nonprofit organization that searches the oceans for shipwreck sites.

Comment

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      my Dad hooked me on Dirk Pitt and his adventures with NUMA as a kid. I always loved how Cussler worked himself into a cameo in the stories.

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Sam6687 have you read treasure? It was a great one!

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Sadly, we lost him on 24 Feb.

If you like the movies, you can pick up books they were made from. Garp, Catch 22, etc etc. All better than the movies. The Bourne novels are especially better than the movies. All those books turned into movies were for a reason.

Comment

Ken Follett for historical Novels; Pillars of the Earth (series of 3 or 4 books)
      Lee Child - Jack Reacher series
      Ayn Rand Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. (Eerily foretelling the way things could turn out)
      Jonathan Kellerman - Alex Delaware series
      Daniel Silva - Cabriel Allon series

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I read most of Rand's books numerous times, for the most part I enjoyed them but at times she just prattled on making her point making the read arduous to say the least.
        Then again maybe I missed something in the translation.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Love Daniel Silva! I started reading his books once I ran out of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series novels. I also enjoyed those Jack Reacher books for a bit of lighter page turner material.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Just bought Blue Moon - Lee Child haven't started yet. Good light reads.

I'm not much of a fiction reader. All I remember about the last novel I read is that it was about baseball. For non-fiction, I love Bill Bryson's books.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        "The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid" by Bryson has one of the funniest chapters in written history. I read this and laugh until I cry every time about Mr. Milton going off the high dive in a lake.

http://members.tripod.com/martin_lee...ryson2006.html

As an Iowa kid (born later than Mr. Bryson) with some familiarity with Des Moines and the surrounding region it makes me chuckle.

• Bill P
        Bill P commented
        Editing a comment
        Bill Bryson is a terrific writer. Read two of his just recently.

Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, and Louis L'Amour are some of my favorite authors. I like historical fiction and history books the most.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to go dig up the box with all my old Louis L'Amour novels... I liked the "Sackett" saga I think it was - covered one family from off the boat around 1600, until modern times, in 15 or 20 books.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I also like the Sackett series and the Talons too. I think his autobiographical books were interesting as well. I had all of Louis L'Amours paperbacks. I gave them to my friend's teenage sons a few years ago. I am now subscribed to the Louis L'Amour collection, they send a hardcover once a month (I got them to send two) - but they are discontinuing this subscription service after 2022. The hardcovers can be found on ebay though.
        Last edited by 58limited; February 25, 2020, 09:27 PM.

David Weber - Safehold series. Start with "Off Armageddon's Reef"
      John Ringo - "Live Free or Die"
      Robert Jordan - Wheel Of Time 14 book series. Start with "The Eye of the World".
      Louis L'Amour - anything he has written. If he writes about a location of something in his books, it truly exists, (the location). The Walking Drum is a great historical fiction piece.
      Elizabeth Moon, Robert Heinlein, and L. E. Modesitt, Jr. - pretty much anything they have written!
      Last edited by SmokingSteve; February 27, 2020, 12:59 AM. Reason: Added a few more

Comment

The Stand, IT, Christine, The Shining- Stephen King

The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand

Extreme Measures & Memorial Day- Vince Flynn

The Cardinal of the Kremlin -Tom Clancy

For Whole the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, A Fair Well to Arms, The Old Man and the Sea -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Do like Vince Flynn and the the "Mitch Rapp" series!
          Clancy always fun - I especially liked "The Hunt for Red October" and "Without Remorse."

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you read King's The Outsider? Loved that book and The Stand is one of the few books that I can read over and over again. In fact, every time I see a news story about the coronavirus all I can think about is Captain Trips. :-(

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha, that is exactly what I was telling people in my office today. Captain Trips! I have read the whole thing about 5 times. I keep going back to it again and again. Randall Flagg is one of my favorite characters ever. pkadare I have not read Outsider yet. Not sure why.

My favourite fiction writer would have to be Franklin W Dixon.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Hardy Boys, eh? Read a lot of those a very long time ago.

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          JCGrill Indeed, got a few copies at each Christmas growing up, which were blue with a picture on the front. When I got older I began collecting the originals, which were a tan cover.

J.R.R. Tolkien, Ayn Rand, Alister MacLean, biographies when I did read.
        Now I just wait for the movie.

Comment

Authors with too many books to list but almost anyone will be enjoyable: John Sanford, Bernard Cornwell, Charles Portis, Simon Scarrow, Ken Follet, Paulette Jiles, Larry McMurty, John Steineck. And everyone mentioned above.

If you like page turners try the John Sandford Lucas Davenport series or his Virgil Flowers series.

And a really special book : Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford.
          Last edited by Donw; February 25, 2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            If you haven't read Cell 8 by Roslund and Hellstrom I strongly recommend this excellent read.

Really liked the books by Daniel Suarez. Only sci-fi ones I've enjoyed so far.

Comment

• Sam6687
            Sam6687 commented
            Editing a comment
            i am surprised Netflix or Amazon haven't made Daemon and Freedom into a series yet. those books were great.

Don't forget Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath is one of my all time favorites followed by Tolkien's Lord of the Ring trilogy. However, I read mostly Sci-fi now with Asimov probably at the top of that list.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Authors like Asimov and Bova introduced me to sci-fi, and I think because they were on the first shelf of the public library, haha! One of my prized possessions is a signed Easton Press copy of the Fondation Trilogy by Asimov, and a signed first edition of Prelude to Foundation, probably one of the last books he put out while alive.

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            I am in the third book of "The Three-Body Problem" trilogy by Chinese author, Chixin Liu (translated, of course). Science fiction and thoroughly enjoyable. Recommended to me by a friend because I never would have chosen to read it on my own...

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I almost fort one of my all time favorite books is Old Man's War by John Scalzi. It's sci-fi and there are three follow up books that tell the same story from three different perspectives that are really fascinating.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis