Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone from Minnesota? Good chance of me relocating there and no idea of what to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone from Minnesota? Good chance of me relocating there and no idea of what to expect

So, there is a good chance of the company relocating me to Minneapolis. I'm mexican, and never been to the place. What can I expect from the city? How good is the quality of life there? Cost of life?

any advice you guys can send my way on what to do/don't do?

Thanks in advance.

Spinaker

Comment

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Rancherstriker View Post
        any advice you guys can send my way on what to do/don't do?
        Thanks in advance.
        Don't root for their sports teams, it will save you a lot of disappointment. Do enjoy July and August, Minnesota's nice season.

Comment

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          C'mon glitchy, the Vikes and Twins are great teams. They often play into the postseason. I've even seen the Twins win a World Series. I'll admit after having my heart broken by the Vikings dozens (ok, 4 times) when they lost the Superbowl, I still hope to seem them win it before I die. BTW, we can't live to far apart, I'm in north central Iowa.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Bogy Just south of Des Moines. I really have nothing against the MN Teams, just jabbing. I root for all the Chicago teams because DSM has none and when I was 8-12 and getting into sports, you had Walter, Michael, and Ryne in Chi-town. I have visited MN enough to know more about it than almost anyone that doesn’t live there. Probably spent over a year there over the years.
          Last edited by glitchy; February 26, 2020, 12:57 AM.

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy, I grew up in eastern South Dakota, with no pro teams and barely any college teams. Twins and Vikings were all they covered.

If you think you have warm clothes, they're not.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that was damn funny!

One of the best places in the US for quality of life. #6 on US News and World Reports ranking list. We lived there for many years and probably would still if Uncle Sam hadn’t decided to send me elsewhere. Good schools and universities, plenty of shopping, recreation, and reasonable cost of living. Your heating bills will definitely be higher there than in Mexico.
        Yes it can get cold in Winter but this is one place that knows how to deal with it, and you will adapt quickly. The rest of the seasons are usually great. I personally found it was more difficult in the hot times of Summer than in the Winter. Plenty of year round recreational and outdoor activities. One thing to remember about Minneapolis-St. Paul is that they are surrounded by numerous unique towns and suburbs and you can find somewhere to meet your lifestyle and needs.

Comment

Heck, if y’all are gonna uptalk Minnesota that much I feel like moving there. And I live in Sweden, so I’m well adapted to cold winters :-)

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You'd fit right in! Lots of Swedes and Norwegians around these parts. (Myself included!) Actually my buddy's son's name is Henrik!

I have lived here pretty much my whole life, except for my college years. The summers are gorgeous, and the lakes make it even more enjoyable. In the North West corner of the state you have Lake Superior and some gorgeous wilderness areas. Most of the state is very agrarian, but beautiful as well. the winters can be cold, but we are well suited for it. The MN Department of transportation does a great job of keeping up with the winter. You will adapt quickly.

The state is pretty different depending on where you are going to be located. Have they given you any idea as to the area that you will be moving too?

There is a large Mexican contingency in Shakopee, Minnesota. I have quite a few Mexican friends that live there. (They are mostly from Mexico D.F) That is a nice place to live, is it just on the other side of the river from my hometown. (Eden Prairie) And it is about 20 mins to our largest city, Minneapolis. There are a ton of really cool towns and cities to choose from...Stillwater, Duluth, Minneapolis/St. Pau, Rochester and the surrounding suburbs to name a few.

If you let me know the general area, I can give you some ideas on what to expect and what towns or cities to look at.

Do you have kids? We have very good public schools with great activities and sports. Hockey and football are king in MN but many schools also offer Lacrosse, Baseball, Basketball, futbol, cross country running, track and field, wrestling, alpine skiing, golf etc and all for girls and boys. And most of the metro suburbs and city schools have great intramural sport and activities. That arts and music are also a huge part of the school programs. And Minneapolis has a great music scene all year around, especially in the summer months.

Looking forward to having you in Minnesota!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker What, you think he borrowed one for his avatar? ;-)

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, guess I didn't look that hard. LOL ComfortablyNumb

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Take a look at south Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Shakopee, Maple Grove, Plymouth. All great schools and nice areas. And they have really easy access to Minneapolis. All about 15-20 minuets away fro the city. Lots of lake and recreation in the area too. Rancherstriker

Less than a day’s drive to Canada. How good could that be!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            5 hours to Nester Falls!

If it was the most horrible place in the US, which it is not, does it matter, see’in yer employer movin ya there. The Q community is pretty good there. We’ve got quite a few members & there are a few Q joints in “The Cities” area. Fishin is great. You are in striking distance of the spectacular BWCAW- Quetico, that makes everything worth the price of admission. As everybody said,, dress warm fer the winters, and bein yer from Mexico, dress warm all the time til ya get used to it.
          Last edited by FireMan; February 25, 2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Since you're from Mexico, picture the most truest form of "polar opposite" weather-wise. Cold enough to hurt you face when you walk outside. Probably not nearly the amount of sunshine you're accustomed to. Lots of grey cloudy days for no reason.

I'm not from Minnesota, I'm from Michigan, and really the weather is practically identical to Minnesota and Wisconsin, so I'll describe Michigan's weather: We have 3-4 months of warmth, and by warmth I mean 70s-90s Fahrenheit. As Spinaker says, beautiful summers. Mosquitoes! Often humid, rarely dry heat, but that could be more Michigan due to being surrounded by the Great Lakes, not sure about humidity in MN. Rarely does it ever get above 92-95 and that's only for a few days at a time. Average summer temps mid 70s to upper 80s F. Late September it cools down until May. December, January, February and much of March are winter. Could be below zero, could be 40s. Sometimes winter last into April but if it's still wintry by then everyone is ready to move out of state. Winter stops being welcome around late February/mid-March! May and September/October are my favorite months. I prefer 60s and 70s, when it's neither hot nor cold.

Comment

A couple of things we learned about moving to a colder climate is walking and driving on ice. All of our vehicles are 4WD, my wife has very good snow/ice tires and I run studded tires on my truck for when it gets really bad. Quality, slip resistant footwear is a must and we recently bought Ice Bugs studded shoes. Of course the weather changed to a warm dry spell so we haven't tried the new shoes yet, but they're pretty cool looking. Made in Sweden so how bad could they be...

Comment

I don't live there, but have visited the Minneapolis area several times. My big takeaway is: great beer, and plenty of it. Also great people, and seems like a great place to live. The Scandinavian influence in the area always makes me feel like I am returning back home when I visit (Swedish/Norwegian).

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love to hear this!

• Elton's BBQ
                  Elton's BBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If i was to emigrate Minnesota would be my choice..

It does get cold here, but it gets cold for a few days at a time. Cold is relative, you will learn that! It is not below zero every day, very few days in fact. It gets cold and warms up. It is not like places that are hot as in over a hundred degrees every single day for 3-5 months.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  Editing a comment
                  What I've discovered since moving north is that after a while what used to be cold isn't any more. When I lived in California 40 was cold, now I find mid-30s balmy, single digits is cold.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, cold is like smoke flavor, pepper spice, or salt...all very relative.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like cold & winter to. Whatever these guys a sayin, I don’t have any cold relatives.
                  Last edited by FireMan; February 25, 2020, 11:23 PM.

It's flat. Also cold. Or hot. Very nice folks though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis