Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

My Smoker Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • popNerd
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Seattle, WA

My Smoker Dilemma

Howdy folks.

I have my Weber Kettle One-Touch gold, which at the time I figured was the best idea. Discovered the Smokenator through this site and have been mostly pleased with it. My latest run I had a beast of a time regulating the temp and the coals seemed to catch too quickly which, I'm sure is an air leakage problem.

I want to get the iQue or another fan regulator but because I opted for the gold I either need to remove the ash catcher at the bottom, which seems like a huge pain, or have a hole drilled in the side, also a huge pain and not something my ladyfriend is keen on having done to the grill.

As I already have the smokenator, I'm hesitant to go another route as I've spent that money and used it and it works with tending, but I'm really looking for an option I don't have to babysit quite as much. I do find the constant tending relaxing and the "true BBQ" experience, but in today's world I don't always have the time for it.

That's when I started looking at the Masterbuilt Electric 40. But then, electric. I read more and no, no I do not want electric.

The iQue or partyQ, seem like great ideas. Still can figure out which is the better option if I end up going with one.

All this being said, here's a few questions:

Is there a market for used Smokenators? I'd, of course, sell it at a loss, like $50.

The Smokevault looks promising, but that's going to end up being a pretty penny after propane tanks are accounted for and with all the rain we get in Seattle it might be a bad idea.

The Pit Barrel Cooker is something I'm starting to fall in love with, but can it take an iQue or other temp regulator? And what if I want to cold smoke, is that a thing?

I'm sure a lot of these answers can be found on-site with some digging, but I'd like to hear directly from y'all.

Modify my Weber? Sell the Smokenator? PBC with a regulator? Help me BBQ-Qonobi, you're my only hope.

• crvan
    Founding Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Largo, Florida
    • Rob Vantreese

Lang 48 Deluxe
      Weber Q series
      Weber Kettle Gold
      Old Char Broil with tempered glass front
      Digital Thermometer Master Forge
      Bayou Classic Deep Fryer
      Fire Pit
      Favorite Beer: Budweiser, Miller, Lite, Icehouse, Coors, Amstel, Samuel Adams, Guinness, Yuengling.... Aw hell my favorite beer is the one I have in my hand

popNerd

Relax, you just have to figure it out, do several dry runs... no food to waist... learn how much charcoal or wood chips to put in it at one time. When you first fire it up let the coals settle down to a constant, when you have a constant temp for about a half hour and the temp is too high you have too much coals and when the temp is too low... well you know.
    Depending on what your cooking and for how long depends on how much attention you have to pay to the grill.

Rob

Comment

• popNerd
      Former Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Seattle, WA

Thanks Rob I do appreciate your response.

I've had many successful runs with my Smokenator, but I'm really in the mood to upgrade to something new. That's kinda the direction I'm looking at for this thread. This was the first time in the year or so I've had it that it's giving me any sort of issue. And it wasn't a huge issue, the ribs were delicious and I didn't have to baby it too awful much, just more than I would have liked. Also, as we're closing out summer, I know my smokenator set-up in the backyard makes temp control that much more difficult.

I'm just a gadget guy, and I like buying toys. And it just seems to me to be time to upgrade my hardware.

Comment

• crvan
        Founding Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Largo, Florida
        • Rob Vantreese

Lang 48 Deluxe
          Weber Q series
          Weber Kettle Gold
          Old Char Broil with tempered glass front
          Digital Thermometer Master Forge
          Bayou Classic Deep Fryer
          Fire Pit
          Favorite Beer: Budweiser, Miller, Lite, Icehouse, Coors, Amstel, Samuel Adams, Guinness, Yuengling.... Aw hell my favorite beer is the one I have in my hand

I'm a gadget guy myself work in the home/office automation industry and understand the need to upgrade. Do your own research and get what you want for the type of food you want to cook. Many folks here will give you feedback on the cooker your looking at, more then likely someone here has one. My new cooker just arrived today from the great state of Georgia, will be posting pics tomorrow as well as my first cook on Saturday. Good luck on your findings

Rob

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Well? How 'bout some pics of that new cooker of yours?

• crvan
          crvan commented
          Editing a comment
          I will be posting pics of my new cooker as well as my first cook in general discussion under topic new cooker and first cook shortly

Rob
      • fredcanfly
        Former Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Kansas

If you are looking for something you can set-and-forget, the Pit Barrel Cooker doesn't need a regulator. It just cooks (my last brisket, I put it in, monitored the temp for about the first hour until it settled in, and then took a nap! Best brisket I ever ate). I use mine for most anything meat, and it rocks! Considering you already have the Kettle, you would be set on steaks and whatnot. I don't do salmon on my PBC (mostly because I have a lower-temp option in my GMG), and I do cook a lot of things outside the "normal" BBQ on my pellet smoker (cheesecake, cobbler, etc). PBC CAN cold smoke, but you would probably want to do like I did and get a pellet burner and some pellets for that. I just cold smoked some cheese on it today. What would you be trying to cold smoke?

I know you want a new toy, but next month, Harry Soo will be talking about fire control... maybe wait until after his talk? If you really want a charcoal-based set-and-forget, I recommend the PBC (you can't control temps very well on it, but you can just put meat in and get amazing dinners out). If you are really into controlling temps and don't need the charcoal flavor, then a pellet grill like a Rec-tec or something might be the way to go. It's up to you how you want to go. If you have any questions about the PBC or pellet grills, I will be happy to answer as best I can.
        Last edited by fredcanfly; August 7, 2014, 08:30 PM. Reason: Added "pellet" before "smoker" on the line that talks about outside "normal" BBQ.

Comment

• David Parrish
          Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
          • May 2014
          • Charlotte, NC

popNerd you can't go wrong with a PBC. If you're budget is $300, it's a no brainer. If you have more you're willing to spend, it gets complicated. Tell us how much you can spend and what you want to do with your new cooker.

Comment

• popNerd
            popNerd commented
            Editing a comment
            My budget is around $300-$400. I want something that I can feel comfortable using while watching the game and not running out to check every 30 minutes, but also isn't going to make me feel like the pit has done all the work for me. If that makes sense. I want a challenge, but I also want to be lazy.

The more I articulate what I'm looking for, the more I'm realizing how contradictory and ridiculous I sound.
        • Huskee
          Administrator
          • May 2014
          • central MI, USA
          • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
            • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
            • PBC
            • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
            • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
            • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
            • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
            • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
            • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
            • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
            • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
            • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
            • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
            • (7) Maverick ET-732s
            • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
            • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
            • Thermapen MkII, orange
            • ThermoPop, yellow
            • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
            • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
            • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
            • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
            • Instant Pot 6qt
            • Anova Bluetooth SV
            • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
            • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
            • BBQ Dragon
            • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
            • Weber grill topper
            • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
            • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
            • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
            • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
            • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
            • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
            • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
            • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
            • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
            • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
            Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

I don't think PBCs are designed for nor is it wise to attempt a T-stat controller. I second the PBC advice, unmodded. If you want a relative amount of set and forget the Smokevault has great reviews for a gasser.

Comment

• dicknodnfs
            Founding Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Kentucky

Adding Pitmaster110 and the right digital thermometer makes all the difference. Don't use the tape supplied by IQ to close the vents. Manually close the vents with your One-Touch. Don't ditch the Smokenator. Damming the charcoal and the radiant heat is a good thing.

Comment

• David Parrish
              Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
              • May 2014
              • Charlotte, NC

Originally posted by dicknodnfs View Post
              Adding Pitmaster110 and the right digital thermometer makes all the difference. Don't use the tape supplied by IQ to close the vents. Manually close the vents with your One-Touch. Don't ditch the Smokenator. Damming the charcoal and the radiant heat is a good thing.

This is excellent advice.

Comment

• popNerd
                Former Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Seattle, WA

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

This is excellent advice.

And the plan I originally wanted to use, but here are a few questions to clarify:

Because it's the One-Touch Gold, that ash catcher is an issue with the 110. I read up on how to install the 110 around the ash catcher hardware, but that again calls for drilling a hole in the side of the kettle. I'm assuming that's what you're referring to by not using the tape and just using the existing vents. Is there a different way to do this?

Am I going to have an air leakage problem with that?

And, is getting this hole drilled in the kettle as daunting as it sounds? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill.

Comment

• THoey1963
                  Founding Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • San Antonio, TX
                  • Terry - Learning more about Q every day...

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
                    Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermapen - Maverick ET-733
                    KCBS member

You have a great grill in the OTG. And it can be used as a smoker too. But if you are getting more into smoking and looking to invest in a stand alone smoker, how come you haven't thought of the WSM? It is considered by many as one of the easiest to take out of the box, put together, and start smoking. They run a little hot at first, but after about 10 cooks, they stabilize and lock into temps. Within thirty minutes after I fire mine up, she's stable at around 270* - 280* which is right where I like to smoke my ribs / butts / briskets. (You can manage it lower or higher, that is where me and the WSM like to run.)

I do have an IQ 120 for my WSM. I connect it to the pin wheel vent. I only use it on long / overnight cooks. It works great, but just not needed on the WSM for shorter cooks like ribs.

Comment

• jrobertson50
                    Former Member
                    • Jul 2014

PBC can't benifit from the regulator. However if you look into a UDS and the Big poppa kit you can use it on that. Its like the big brother to the PBC. lots more control and cooking area. And you can build it for under $200US

Comment

• popNerd
                      Former Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Seattle, WA

Good question. I've looked at the WSM and was one of my considerations, but then I started looking at the PBC and then back to the Smokenator with the IQ. There are just so, so many choices and variables here that I'm having a hard time even having a gut instinct about the right choice for me.

Then it leads into, "Well, I already invested in the OTG and Smokenator, so why not just beef that up? A lot of the hesitation for jumping into the stand-alone is the feeling that the Smokenator would then just sit dormant and unloved. And who wants that? I tend to over-analyze my gadgets when I'm in research phase and ALL of these choices have so many things I like about them. I want to be secure in my investment, not have instant buyers remorse, ya know?

I appreciate all of your responses, but I'm beginning to think I might be beyond help with this. I know I'm driving the ladyfriend crazy talking about all the different options non-stop, so I thank all of you for your patience and information.

Comment

• fredcanfly
                        Former Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Kansas

pop,

This all boils down to what do YOU want. Do you want to work with what you currently have (and spend that extra money on toys/gadgets/meat, etc)? How much do you want to spend if you want something new? Do you want to manage temps and feel like you are BBQing? Do you want to be able to crank out great BBQ with less effort? Do you have to have that particular temp? The smokenator could be sold to someone who would use it, I am sure, if you are really feeling like you have to get something new. These are all ideas and questions only you can answer. Once you have those questions figured out, come back to us, and we can help you narrow down what option is best for you.

I was the same way before getting the PBC. I realized once I narrowed down what I was willing to spend, that swept away a lot of options, which made figuring out what I wanted easier. I ended up on the cheaper side of what I wanted to spend (which let me get a Thermapen and some extra cuts of meat). It worked out great and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Just take a step back, a deep breath, and you will pick what's right for you (with this site's recommendations you cannot go wrong).

Comment

• Huskee
                          Administrator
                          • May 2014
                          • central MI, USA
                          • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
                            • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
                            • PBC
                            • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
                            • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
                            • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
                            • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
                            • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
                            • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
                            • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
                            • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
                            • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
                            • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
                            • (7) Maverick ET-732s
                            • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
                            • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
                            • Thermapen MkII, orange
                            • ThermoPop, yellow
                            • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
                            • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
                            • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
                            • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
                            • Instant Pot 6qt
                            • Anova Bluetooth SV
                            • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
                            • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
                            • BBQ Dragon
                            • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
                            • Weber grill topper
                            • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
                            • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
                            • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
                            • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
                            • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
                            • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
                            • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
                            • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
                            • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
                            • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
                            Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Good advice from fred ^

Pick budget boundaries.
                          Pick ease of use per your standards, and cooking capacity you'll need
                          Pick 3 of the models/setups that fit those ranges,
                          Then fret over how hard picking one of those 3 are! At least then it's not a choice between 300 models and setups.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
                          See more
                          See less
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                          The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                          The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                          The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                          The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                          The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                          We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                          Stylish and Affordable
                          Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                          Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                          A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                          Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                          GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                          The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                          This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                          A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                          FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                          Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                          Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order