Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Frito Man has a gripe (not about this website tho)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Frito Man has a gripe (not about this website tho)

My fellow ... what do we call ourselves? Ribbers! I dunno... I come to you all with my venting gripe.

I have spent tons of time and money on perfecting how to cook things and finding recipes. What kills me is when it comes time to sharing recipes. I've had people come to me and say OH this is so great can I have the recipe and in my head this arguement happens: Hell yah it's great this is like my 5 th time trying to get this dang recipe right. You shoulda seen the first time it was black on the outside raw on the inside! Oh now all this blood sweat and tears is just going to be given away to this person.

I don't like to give recipes but I like to trade. I also hate it when I break in and give the recipe or referr someone to a site like this and they don't even follow it or go! You just can't win! For example I gave my sister this shrimp marsala over rice recipe and you know what she did. She goes and buys a rotisere chicken... BLASPHEMY. The shrimp and the flavors all went together like a shrimp cocktail does. There is no CHICKEN cocktail... Chicken seviche...

You can hand people the keys to the kingdom but I swear if one more person BOILS their ribs, rotisere chicken, and well decides to put their spin on a recipe they've never tried... I'm just doing a strict NO sharing policy.

That actually applies to life in general, it's human nature. LOL

Comment

The importance of being ernest.

Comment

I share quite a bit on here, and don't mind sharing lessons learned to friends and such, but I do have a hard time letting go of some of it. If I show you exactly how I cook it, and what equipment to buy etc it somehow makes all the work you did kinda meaningless.

Comment

I don't stress it. No one ever makes the recipe you shared anyhow, and if they do it's just once. I have a great simple bbq'd chicken recipe that I've been sharing for years, no one has ever made it that I know of.

Now, someone offered a crab cakes recipe here. As soon as summer comes and I'm in the swing of things cooking, I'm making that one.

Comment

My problem is I rarely create recipes. I just sort of wing it and go by instinct. To whatever extent I have recipes I am willing to share them. At the moment, the only actual recipe I've created, that I am not inclined to share, is my hot sauce recipe. I bottle and sell it every once in a while and once it's perfected (it's really close) I may try selling it commercially.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I don't mind sharing here! Most of my food comes from other website's recipes or here and I don't want to repost the post of someone elses post... post. Just the fact you all paid for a membership speaks volumes (no matter how affordable it is). I dunno.

Comment

For me, sharing recipes and techniques is something I like to do. Sure, I've worked hard to develop some of them, but everything I've done is the result of past experiences in my life. Yes, I can be creative and develop something new, but it all comes from my past experiences and knowing what I think will work. Just like Mosca, I've shared many a recipe/technique and very few take the time or effort required to do it. Especially with our "I want it now" mentality in today's society.

Comment

FF, I don't share very much anymore except on this site. Unfortunately most people are not motivated enough to use your recipe. Also it is an individual thing. I know people that go to a favorite dish supper and will have the recipe available next to their dish. Lately I smile and tell those that want my recipe that it is a family heirloom and that my family would come back to the grave and get me if I shared it. You are absolutely correct when it has taken several times to get something perfected and then someone ask for it and most of them are not going to follow the technique that is needed to make the ingredients turn out properly and then they say you gave them a bum recipe.

Anyway enjoy your cooking and don't worry about those that don't.

Comment

I'm not good enough to share anything. YET.
                    But, i've been reading a lot of Harry Soo's stuff lately. He is of the attitude that everyone should help everyone (I paraphrase). The main thing i like about that is it just makes life better. I hate it when something gets stuck in my craw and I go around grouchy. It impacts me in ways that I can actually physically fill. I'd just as soon be happy and enjoy life. Especially when it comes to food and smoking!

Please don't tell my family I like being happy. The grandkids are afraid of me and the kids/wife tell me that i'm a grouch. This is how it should be!

Comment

• IrondeQuer
                      IrondeQuer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's funny! And I agree, Harry Soo has a great perspective on it. Plus, his WSM techniques really work!

I don't mind sharing... however usually the people that ask me simply don't have the skills, techniques and equipment to pull it off. When I start talking about applying a dry brine 24 hours in advance... well, eyes cross and sometimes glaze over... lol...

I don't mind sharing and or teaching but at the end of the day they usually are happier if I just invite them over to dinner once in a while...

Comment

I don't share my 'secret' recipes with my friends (since then I'm not cool anymore), but I'll make them my stuff and give it to them either free or donation if they insist on paying me for ingredients. Then they can have it if they want it, and it's still my 'secret' recipe. However I'm glad to share every technique I know with all who'll listen. Most of my friends don't care about techniques though, they either do it their way at home or come to my house for the 'good stuff'!

Comment

Reading this kind of makes me sad. I have also spent a lot of money on cooking equipment and kitchen gadgets - i love food. I am gifted in other ways but when it comes to food i don't seem to have a lot of imagination to develop recipes - don't have the talent for it.Yet i can fix and manufacture almost anything out of metal or wood - i've made my own furniture and also restore cars etc....good with my hands. I really wish i had something to offer here as far as original recipes but the only one's i can offer are other people's from cookbooks and online research. But that is not genuine. Having said that i always follow the exact recipe and i never change or tweak anything and i always have great appreciation for people sharing - i appreciate the time it takes to perfect recipes - i do have great cooking skills and equipment - i can replicate recipes perfectly - just sad to read about how some of you feel about sharing ... but i do understand...fair enough..

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'll share with anyone here. But my local friends need me to keep stuff secret so they can have me make stuff for them, so it's mutually agreed!

And I bet You really enjoy making stuff for them as I do for my friends. They don't know that I get my recipes and techniques from all over the net - they think it's all me ( my little secret )....I plan to share some of my favourites here - maybe someone can benefit....

Comment

I tend to follow the old adage: freely you have received, freely give. So many people have taught me so many things I feel an obligation to openly share. What people do with what they've been given has been a study in human nature for millennia.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis