Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backyard nirvana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard nirvana?

So I was cooking up a handful of burgers tonight and got to thinking...
    I'm not certain that I need to add ANYTHING to my outdoor cooking arsenal. Say what?! O_o

Have I beat the MCS bug?
    Is that even possible?
    I don't know but I can't think of anything that I NEED to add...
    Ok, perhaps a new shawarma machine, but even that isn't entirely necessary yet seeing as the "dying" one I have still trudges along.

Grills I have covered. Two charcoal and one gas.
    My WSCGC also covers smoking...and even my Summit gasser can work in a pinch.
    And I could steal my father's Traeger if I were so inclined and he wouldn't notice for weeks...perhaps months.
    I've got a griddle & a Somerset IV stove...with a pizza oven.

I thought about adding a Bayou Classic deep fryer, but don't do enough of that to warrant the extra space. An 8-qt CI pot handles everything I need. And I already have a turkey fryer...

Yes, an offset COULD be added...but keeping that thing fed with wood could turn into an expensive part-time job. It would mean lots of online ordering and/or driving up to the Woodshed in Anaheim. Not out of the question...but I don't cook quantities that would justify a GOOD stick burner.

The only thing right now that really piques my interest are the Napoleon Prestige Pro 825 (because it just looks freaking amazing) or one of the FireMagic Echelon Diamond grills...which even I can't justify and I don't answer to anyone but myself. LOL Perhaps when one of my kids gets a place that can handle/allow a big gasser like the Summit D6...I can gift it...

I have friend that has the same Dyna-Glo grill that I have and craptastic electric smoker. Given that he smokes something maybe three/four times a year, it works for him.

Anyone else feel like they've "nailed it?" Heck, even if it's just one or two cookers.

Here. BGE and Weber Performer. A gasser would be nice, but not worth the space used nor money spent.
    Last edited by Mosca; February 6, 2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Camp chef taho stove, 18 wsm, 22 kettle, traeger scout pellet grill, uds in the garage i don't use. I'd like to trade the traeger for a grilla chimp, but really I don't need anything else. Want is another thing altogether though

Comment

I need an LSG Santa Maria, a Primo oval XL, A Genesis, a dedicated rotisserie/shawarma machine and a Backwoods upright.

I also want to be skinny.
        Just saying.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the idea of a Santa Maria grill...but am a bit concerned I might burn the neighborhood down at my current location. Some would find that rude. LOL I would want something like an AZ BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale because it has a lid. Kinda large for a couple tri tips though.

A vertical rotisserie is a nice thing to have.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed you need all the equipment, but just want to be skinny lol

"Beat the MCS bug"? Oh silly boy. You've done a good shot at the patio surface, though time will tell.
        But there are other "necessities" to augment all that hardware.
        There's always a need for temp measurement; and not just one, but a battery of choices, for, well, you just never know. 2 channel, 4 channel, 6 too, with cloud data logging...…...you know, for history sake.
        A chamber vac sealer for all those left overs that would be a shame to waste. Or, that incredible sale price on ribeye.....
        Double mean grinding machine, because, who doesn't want to control the actual fat content of their burgers, or make their own sausage.
        And then there's the necessity of a...……...……......……...……….

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Temp measurement I’ve got covered: Thermapen, ThermaQ High Heat, ThermaQ Meathead, ThermaQ WiFi, ir gun, Thermo Pop, & a Pro Needle.
          Perhaps a chamber vac if my regular sealer ever quits.
          I don’t grind enough to justify a stand alone grinder and simply use my KA.

Traeger pellet pooper, Napoleon gasser, Napoleon 22" kettle, Weber 22" kettle, Big Steel Keg, and a PBC. I'm mostly set though I'll be selling the Traeger in the spring and replacing it with a Weber SmokeFire EX6. I'm pretty much happy. Even if I weren't I don't have any more room under the gazebo and I know SWMBO would put the kibosh on any plans to add another gazebo. :-)

Comment

I'm kind of at that same place right now. It's not unlike back in the days when golf was my passion, and I was never satisfied with my clubs. I have custom-built irons, but driver, fairway woods, wedges and putter were a revolving door. Then I finally realized it was better to just work on my game and do more with what I already had. It's not the wand, it's the magician.

So I have gone back to that mentality with cookers. Today, my Weber Ranch and 26" kettle handle anything I need to grill or smoke, and we were gifted a big Ducane gas grill by my FIL when the in-laws were downsizing a couple of years ago. I sold my Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse to a buddy who lives two streets away, and borrowing it wouldn't be a problem if needed. It's dangerous to declare victory over MCS, but I'm at peace right now with what I have.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I did the same. LOL I even looked at getting new clubs last year, despite having a custom set of irons and my other clubs fitted. Then I came to my senses because I don’t play enough to warrant doing that all over again.

And that’s kind of where I’m at with regards to cookers. I have a bunch of great stuff that doesn’t need replacing/upgrading. Time to concentrate on getting the most out of them.

My needs are fairly simple. With my Yoder YS640 which i love, a Weber 22/SNS, and a Jumbo Joe, I have all I really need. Would like to upgrade to a Weber 26, and might enjoy a Fireboard setup, but not at the level of “need.” SWMBO certainly agrees🤣.

Comment

Since when did addiction become about NEEDS?

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              True that! One certainly could argue that nobody NEEDS thirty guitars. But they didn’t get here by accident. LOL

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha the honesty!!!!

I feel pretty close with the WSCG, Spirit E-330, Camp Chef SmokePro and Q100. When my SmokeFire ever arrives and replaces the Camp Chef and if it is half as good as the hype, I'll be in the same boat feeling pretty darn covered in the outdoor cooker department. I can cook about anything and multiple things at different temps simultaneously. If it's really as good as the hype, I might not even need the Spirit anymore.

...unless I keep watching Project Smoke/Fire and BBQ with Franklin episodes. Those dang shows really stoke the MCS...like I really want to split and sling logs on an offset or need a $5000 Kamado

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              I get that...every time I see one of those big offsets I think, “That is so cool.” Not enough to actually get one, but still think they’re cool.

The only pellet cooker I’ve used has been my father’s Traeger. I just haven’t felt the want or need to get one myself. The Weber is intriguing though. If it lives up to their hype/promises, I may have to rethink that. LOL

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Running a stickburner is really satisfying. It appeals to the caveman in me. But I finally got to the point where the hands-off approach became even more appealing. I have a fire pit for when I really want to tend a fire.

Santa. Maria. Grill.

Comment

I've had those moments of satisfaction also. Sitting there watching the smoke rise and smelling the goodness. Yes, the Yoder and my charcoal grill with the coming cabinet is enough, I'm good.
              Then I think.................!

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                So I was cooking up a handful of burgers tonight and got to thinking...
                I'm not certain that I need to add ANYTHING to my outdoor cooking arsenal. Say what?! O_o...
                This post is missing pictures.

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m terrible about posting cooks. It’s always an afterthought. I guess I just get caught up in the cooking...and then eating. LOL

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Line up the gear! We need to see the perfect backyard so we all have something to aspire to.

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My backyard is FAR from perfect...and not something to aspire to. There are several outdoor kitchens posted around here that truly are impressive. That’s my aspiration...to one day have really organised outdoor space.

MCS has crept into so many areas of my life. I'm happy with my Webers and Kamado, but if I had a larger freezer I could have bought several more of those prime ribs I found on sale for half price. I want a fridge of my own for dry aging and pastrami making. I had to have that Lodge CI pizza stone for blackening steaks and fish. With the new daylight LED lights I installed on the back patio I can smoke all night like it's noon. That new cooler I found at the hardware store is an incredible faux Cambro. Now I hear Sous-vide calling my name. MCS has many faces. The only common denominator I see is the constant drain on my bank account.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's only money, you can print more….

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ComfortablyNumb That’s always been my attitude. If the bills are paid and all the other needs are taken care of I always say go for it.

+1 on the outdoor LED lights Oak Smoke
                  Wasn’t sure how I felt about them at first because they are SO bright...but I’ve come to really like them.

• Uncle Bob
                  Uncle Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  surfdog, the older you get the more you'll like how bright they are...………..

I’ve got a lot of smokers/grills and there really isn’t anything out there that I would buy, except for probably the “new” PK product that is coming out. I love PK’s. Pricy, but the best (IMHO). Oh, and maybe a Santa Maria grill. Hey, I’m a California boy....

If I knew then what I know now, I’d probably not buy the backyard Jambo I purchased 4 years ago. Great offset smoker, but I don’t use it for what I had envisioned. Thinking of selling it.
                Last edited by TripleB; February 6, 2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis