Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of questions...

First,
    I cooked 2 7# butts on my SmokinTex 1400 electric smoker. In the firebox, i had 2 chunks of mesquite and 1 chunk of pecan, along with 2 briquettes. I ran it between 200 and 250. The bottom one, closest to the element and smoke, came off at 22 hours. The top one went 24 hours. The 22 hour one had NO chunks of fat that we could remove. The 24 hour one had 2 chunks about the size of a nickle.

Now, it was DELICIOUS. The only thing lacking was the smoke ring was VERY thin.

now the question...
    I've been reading about folks putting a couple of butts in a WSM, and they are coming off at 7 hours or so.

What is the difference? If I'm reading right, i think they average 225*.

Will they be as tender and moist at 7 hours?
    I'm guessing the 7 hours will leave more fat.

I'm getting ready to pick up a 22" WSM, so i'm real curious about the time difference.

Do you know if the 7hr ones you're referring to have crutched (wrapped?) I am guessing so, since 7hrs is very fast in pork butt land. I also assume you did not wrap, if you went 20+hrs? Wrapping or crutching at the stall will significantly reduce cook time, but at the expense of bark formation. Also, the 7hr butts, are they the same size as yours? I highly recommend to all who'll isten cutting your butts in half, and smoking ~3-4lb butts. Quicker cook, more smoke/rub/salt contact and more bark:meat ratio.

Regarding smoke ring, electrics tend to have little or no smoke ring since they operate on a whole different combustion principle. Dr Blonder has some great research on the subject, check out: http://www.genuineideas.com/Articles...ctricfuel.html

Comment

If you want a bigger smoke ring using an electric, before adding your rub, liberally rub the HOM with tender quick and let set for 2-3 minutes and then rinse with water. Apply rub and smoke as you normally would in your electric.

Comment

Thanks guys. Huskee, when you say cut in half, is there any special place/way to cut? Parrellel with the slit/flap, or perpendicular to it, or ???

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1buba View Post
          Thanks guys. Huskee, when you say cut in half, is there any special place/way to cut? Parrellel with the slit/flap, or perpendicular to it, or ???

Thanks!!!
          1buba No, just whatever feels right. If you follow the muscles it can lead to two oblong pieces, so typically I will just hack it wherever looks about center-ish. It's not perfect, since the bone can be in an inopportune place, but I still do it.

Comment

Thanks Huskee. I'm trying to decide on butts again this weekend or a brisket. I haven't done a brisket yet, and haven't tried to source one here in town yet - that could be a problem!

Comment

Bear brisket....yum

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis