Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Chile, Dang It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Chile, Dang It!

I'm a newbie here and I'm thoroughly enjoying this site. Nice job, all! I do have one complaint: I see some recipes calling peppers "chilis", which just ain't right. They're "chiles" with an "e", not an "i". Chili is a Texan meat and chile stew that some say can't have beans, although I'm fine with beans. Chili powder contains chile powder, plus other spices like cumin. I recommend ancho chile powder for use in homemade chili powders.

Now, I just hope I can find my way back to this thread to see if anyone has any comments.

Age old argument, I personally side with Wikipedia, though I think English is pretty terrible about spelling all around.

Way to start a flame war with your first post.

Comment

Green chile cheeseburgers FTW! Seemed crazy to me at first when I moved to New Mexico, now burgers are boring without the chile.

Comment

It is all right here http://amazingribs.com/recipes/my_in...of_chiles.html

Comment

• ontheranch
          ontheranch commented
          Editing a comment
          Where else but Wikipedia could you get pages on the anatomy of a chile pepper?! Which BTW my spell checker tells me is incorrect lol And ALL this for a tiny membership fee. You have created something "amazing" here.

Aw man, I thought we had a member from Chile. My daughter lives down there. They grill constantly, cooking out is a ritual of familial love for Chileans. I sent him back with a suitcase full of rubs and recipes. Here's Felipe's dad cooking out using Tasty Licks Smokin' Guitar Player rub (from Fred's Music & BBQ Supply):

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          And down there it's pronounced CHEE-lay.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Music & BBQ supply?? Some people have dream jobs.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Fred is quite a character. I think Warthog knows him too. Link does not constitute endorsement, for information purposes only.

Fred's Music and BBQ

What drives me crazy is the people who mispronounce chipotle. It's chi pote lay, not chi pole tay.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I've honestly never heard that. I would shudder if I did.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          What about ch-pO-tl

• jmott7
          jmott7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. That one bugs me as much as ree-la-tor. Maybe more. I once knew a guy who would insist on mispronouncing all the Spanish names of places out here (California). He'd call San Jose, "San Joes"--that kind of thing. It was weird.

I was going to add my $.02 as to the pronunciation of the country Chile, but Mosca beat me to it above. I try to always say Chee-lay. In fact, I buy a lot of Chilean red wines, because they're excellent. When I do I tell people such & such wine is actually a Chi-LAY-an wine. I always feel like they think I'm being snooty for pronouncing it that way. Like I should have my pinky out. Then again Mexico is pronounced MAY-hee-co in Mexico, but we don't say it that way....

Comment

I'll reference the folks at New Mexico State U in las Cruces, the Chile Pepper Institute, who ought to know. They call 'em chilEs, Not chilIs! http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/.

Comment

mgaretz: I agree-CHEE POTE' LAY! It hurts to have someone say, CHEE POLE" TAY, especially a chef!

As for absolutely correct pronunciation of foreign words, I remember Ricardo Montalban, who tried to convince Chrysler to be authentic and pronounce the name of the car as COR' DA BA until he realized that, in Mexico, the popular toothpaste brand name was pronounced KOHL GAH' TAY, not KOHL GATE. He ended up being OK with COR DOE' BA. I think we can get up bit too hung up on proper pronunciation in the native language. Nonetheless, it's "chile", not chili! :«) PERIOD!!!

Comment

And one more thing--It's my understanding that the seeds generate NO heat. They can be hot due to proximity to the ribs, but, in and of themselves, they are not capsaicin generators. Any other thoughts on this?

Along this line, the first time I made homemade hot sauce with my garden grown habaneros and Ghosts, I blended them indoors. I won't do that again! Even the dog ran away from the kitchen. I may be dumb, but I am slow.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                it is the ribs that bring the heat, not the seeds.

• The Burn
                The Burn commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 - learned it from America's Test Kitchen

And I was hoping we were talking about the early Cambrian brachiopods from South Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                . I may be dumb, but I am slow.
                I like that one! I use a similar one sometimes- I may not be a great singer, but I'm loud.

Comment

Welcome Willy! Glad you're here. You're bringing a little heat to this place and I'm luvin' it! A bit surprised tho, that Huskee hasn't filled out your signature.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment

Perfect!

Jon, you're a hoot!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    just callin it like I see it girlfriend.

Speaking of chile, what is your favorite hot sauce? We just spent a week in New Orleans and, based on an awfully small poll--mainly of wait staff in a few restaurants--it seems that the preferred hot sauce in NOLA is likely Louisiana brand or Crystal, despite the big Tabasco name and LA connection (we did visit Avery Island and enjoyed it a lot). I've never been a fan of Tabasco straight; it's fine for kicking up the heat in a chili or stew, but kinda vinegary harsh on eggs, etc. I like Tabasco Chipotle and Cholula; reserving Frank's Original for wing sauce. Your thoughts?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis