Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean out the fridge and pantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean out the fridge and pantry

We are all extremely active in the kitchen but do we pay attention to what we have in our fridges and pantry's.
    Around here it seems we just keep pushing food into the fridge and pantry to the point that if one puts something in there two or three things fall out on your toes.
    So we went thru the fridge and pantry.
    What we found was at the least, science experiments right on up to stuff so dated as to be possibly harmful to ones health.
    We moved into this house in 1999 and there was stuff with Best Before dates back to the early 2000's.
    Mason jars with jams and/or jellies and such that we had no memory of when they were made.
    Boxes of dry goods a quarter used, bottles of liquid ingredients brought for one recipe and forgotten about and sitting for years now.
    Out it went.
    We're not slobs or dirty people....we could be border line hoarders....food ingredient hoarders....
    Todays a new day!!!!

We go through the fridge when it gets packed, and the pantry maybe once a year or so. Yet we still find things that are out of date every time we do this. Several months ago we found a small can of tomato paste that expired in 2004. There must have been a leak in it because it was dried out to the point that it rattled when shaken, and I don't think that's normal...

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      You sure that wasn't astronaut tomato paste?

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya could hydrate it & find out how it held up.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan - too late - it's long gone...

Around our Thanksgiving we have something called "Scouting for Food", where the cub and boy scouts come around and collect non perishable food to bring for people in need. It appears some people use this as a chance to unload all of their expired foods. Come on people. Really???

Comment

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah it got so bad for our pack\troop we have resorted to partnering with the local grocery store. we set up a both outside their door and ask for donations, people buy a few extra canned good and drop them in our cart on the way out the door. going door to door was just a mess.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I guess donating is out of the question now. Geeze.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! That's uh...well...hardly surprising somehow. SMH

I just did a pantry clean out two weeks ago. Highly therapeutic. Freezer is next.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      We did the freezer and he panty is next.

I hate wasting food, so I don't stock up on canned goods other than the ones I use frequently (canned whole tomatoes and tomato paste). I buy the small condiment bottles, so nothing ends up in the trash.

I really, really hate wasting food.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd hate my guts then, the amount of un-opened dated food that went out of here yesterday was both tragedic and, in some cases, down right funny.
      When stuff is on sale we stocked up but now with the Flipp app on our phones price matching at many stores is much easier. so we don't buy four ketchups.
      With the amount of vendors on Flipp someone will have it marked down.
      We are taking the pantry and fridge down to bare bones, only then will we shop again except
      for perishables

A couple of weeks ago, I did a complete reorganization of my spices. I had smaller bottles in one place (and too high for anyone but me to see) and spice bought in bulk (usually at ethnic grocery stores) in another in tons of plastic bags. I bought bottles to transfer the bulk spices into and some pull-out drawers to put into the pantry for organization. Of course, this meant going through everything, and there were indeed some items that seemed prehistoric. I'm loving the new setup. The pic is a bit misleading, that lower drawer with the bottles is around waist height.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	797009

Comment

With a chest freezer and 3 refrigerators and 3 pantries (yes, three), this is a constant problem with things getting put in a place that you forget about it. The main fridge is in the house, a spillover fridge for food and meat out in the garage, and a "beer/wine" fridge in the garage that catches even more stuff during the holidays and such.

Over the holidays I dumped a bunch of big containers of spices, that while probably still good, were unopened and had a "best by" date of years in the past. This is why I'm now going to make a policy of not buying the big containers at Sam's Club of spices that are not just BASIC stuff. Yes, I'll pay more per ounce at the grocery store, but the smaller bottles might actually get used before they lose their flavor, and they take up a LOT less space.

I just purged the chest freezer of vacuum sealed leftovers that were over a year old. I had a surprising amount of BBQ that found its way in there, never to come out again. While it was technically still edible, I don't want to eat leftover turkey from a Thanksgiving ago, or year old pulled pork.

Comment

I stand back when I open the freezer in the garage. This last Christmas I let sons daughter and grand kids raid the freezer. They kept says are you sure you don't mind if I take this? No, please do was my response. Getting some new storage racks in the garage and hopefully will organize and sort out all my piles.
        I'm not a hoarder, I'm not-I'm not!

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I keep trying to convince myself of that too. I'm early in the process of cleaning and reorganizing our entire house and garage and I'm being slowed because I have the garbage and recycling overflowing every week. I just hope I endure to the end and don't regress back to this point again.

No need to worry, cooking related excesses will be sold or donated.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, we are to the stage in our life when we are starting to purge the things we don't need or haven't used in years.

I'm sure I need to do this with my freezer(s). I have a big stand-alone freezer, the beer fridge freezer and the house freezer, all full. I know there's over 100# of pork shoulder in there.

Might be time for a party/BBQ...

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been there with a freezer full of butts before! All the butts I smoked in 2019 were purchased on sale in late 2018, and I vowed to ignore meat sales until I cleaned out the stockpile in the deep freeze.

• Chief1232
          Chief1232 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's really hard to ignore it sometimes! I'll buy whole ribeye primals when they go on sale and then cut and vacuum seal them for later use... All the Butts were from a cash-and-carry sale for about .99/LB... Might be time for an intervention lol

George Carlin
        “But, y'know, leftovers make you feel good twice. D'ja ever think about that? When you first put them away, you feel really intelligent- "I'm saving food!" And then, after a month, when hair is growing out of them and you throw them away you feel...really intelligent- "I'm saving my life!"

https://genius.com/George-carlin-ice-box-man-lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg3viTvOzhI

Comment

On the topic of old food items...One time about 10yrs ago we bought a fancy pepper grinder. We were at my parents and my wife described it to my mom, it was pewter and had the little crank on the top, antique style. Anyway, my wife casually said we just need to get some peppercorns. My mom, excited, said 'I have some you can have, I never use 'em'. She got the bottle from the cupboard and I immediately recognized the faded old looking label. I'd seen it for years as a kid growing up there. I looked for the expiration date, and there it was, 1987. They had expired roughly 23 yrs prior. This bottle of peppercorns had been in my parents' cupboard since I was in grade school, since MacGyver and Newhart were the cool new shows on antenna TV... How old were they really, since peppercorns gotta have a generous shelf life. 1982? '85? Anyway, I think we used them. They really don't go bad. Funny story.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG that’s hilarious!! One of the funniest yet

I hate to waste food and am always complaining when we throw food away. Vacuum sealing and freezing sure helps.

Comment

"Dad, is it OK to eat Kraft Macaroni and cheese from 2007?" - Son

Comment

I don't have this problem so much, as I refuse to purchase more food in general until the food already purchased is eaten. My SO is diabetic, and so I must give in and purchase dry foods, such as a variety of noodles, elbows and the sort, and keep the sugar container full for her emergency sweet tea. When I was single, my fridge and pantry were holding about a weeks worth of food at any time.

Having typed all of that, my SO will push items back when placing new items in the fridge/pantry. Whatever happened to FIFO?

Comment

My main battle is with the freezers. I am on a continuous mission to weed out the oldest items and use them up. Problem is that I like to smoke and cook in bulk--enough to freeze and take to the girls (daughter and stepdaughter) when we visit their respective homes. Stuff piles up between visits.

Plus I'm a sucker at a butcher shop.

Kathryn

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc ditto on that one. All my friends really love me.
                  And I thought it was for my sparkling personality.

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Boy you got me there. My butcher sees me coming and sends in another truck payment.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis