Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dreading Your Friend's BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreading Your Friend's BBQ

So, tonight my wife and I will be at a friend's house for our monthly dinner party. Unfortunately, the couple hosting this month opted for a BBQ themed dinner.

How many of us dread a friend's BBQ knowing full well that the ribs are gonna be boiled and the brisket will be tough?

For my contribution I am taking Meathead's Kentucky Bourbon Baked Beans ... holy hell these things are already righteous and still need another hour, or so, in the oven.

That'll knock their socks off!!!

Comment

It's the best baked beans I've ever tasted. I haven't played with the recipe at all, yet. Next time I make it, I'm going to tinker.

Comment

I can see the cigar bobbin' and weavin'..."little of this, wait, what was that (sniff)? What the crap, it smells half decent."

Comment

Haha, you know me too well Jerod!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            A picture can literally tell a story.

I had to run out to the store and grab some beer (hate when I run out and don't realize it) .... walked back in and the whole place smells of Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans .... OMG I'm in heaven. I tossed 1/4 cup of Guiness into the pot on general principles. Next time I will be tinkering, and cooking them underneath 3-4 racks of ribs. Think I might throw a ham hock or two in the pot, too. maybe smoke the hocks first, then add them in.

Comment

You can do it eco. Good friends and some food on a nice spring day. Sounds like an awesome way to spend a Saturday. Your beans are going to carry the day.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Jon ... it will be fun. And the beans are gonna rock.

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              That recipe ROCK! I get request for those beans all the time. I've heard "I'm not a bean person but can't you make me a pan of those" all the time.

Well, you have inspired me!

Comment

I need to get on a batch of these, I am trying to redeem myself on the Ultimate Grilled Corn tomorrow. The first time my brain translated tarragon to tumeric and thought Meathead was off his rocker. Luckily I rechecked and found my error, that much tumeric tastes like a pile of dirt.

Edit to answer your question. A friend of ours thinks brisket should be cooked like a steak, just a few hours to a nice 150 or so. Other than that my friends just have me bbq.

Comment

Haha. How about everything is baked on the oven or cooked in pan and then it's "BBQ" because they added BBQ sauce on top.

Comment

• _John_
                  _John_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey, there's liquid smoke in there which is essentially the same thing.

Eh. Free food and good friends. I can find a way to enjoy that. Small portions, eat slow, wave off seconds, and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Comment

Fortunately everyone I know took my advice and got on amazing ribs.com. What I have a problem with is pretty much all restaurants that think they can BBQ. First of all, water is for spritzing, not for drowning meat. If they could just start there, life may take a turn for the better. They hate me when I ask "do you boil your ribs?" They reply "yes sir but then we put them on the grill" My reply is ok, I'll have the fish. Lol

Comment

• _John_
                    _John_ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We sous vide without the bag.

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great shot Bill!!

• Karon Adams
                    Karon Adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    not just restaurants. I no longer eat out as I cannot afford any restaurant in town where I would consider the food worth eating! Why waste the calories AND money. though I AM saving up for a trip to Atlanta to Morimoto. I am not huge on Asian Cuisine and I cannot think of a better place to start.

meanwhile, the neighbors aren't too hairy bad. and I don't mind when THEIR BBQ isn't up to snuff. they have other passions and they are my friends. but, yes, the restaurants, even one in my town that advertises "Award Winning BBQ". and yes, they have probably won some competitions. but they are not making the food in their restaurant the same way it is made in competition, guaranteed.

the other day, I saw an annoucerette talking about her FAVORITE way to make dinner with her husband is to make BQ. my ears perked up! turns out, she loves it cause it is SO easy! you just throw a pork loin in the slow cooker, throw in a couple of cups of BBQ sauce 9she can't mention the brand) and when she comes home, dinner is ready!

now, I love my slow cooker as much as the next person but, come on. Oh, well.

here's to the Morimoto fund!!

So true! None of my friends will cook BBQ anymore, however...I'm the designated smoker dude forever, it seems.

Comment

Those beans are now on my list of recipes to try. Looks fantastic!

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They were outstanding! Everybody wanted the recipe.

Tell your friends, for a small membership fee, they can HAVE the recipe!

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL, good idea

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis