Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your 2015 Summer BBQ Goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your 2015 Summer BBQ Goals?

Does anyone else have goals set for this summer? Any particular things people want to master or try for the first time? For me, its nailing more than one brisket at a time. I have done a single brisket many times. But I would like to get to Jerod Broussard levels of brisket smokin'. I'd like to have a ton of folks over and feed the army. I've done more than one brisket on the PBC before and, I have always ended up with one brisket being much better than the other. More moist and tender etc. I know every brisket is different but, I would just like a little more consistency among the briskets.
    I am just curious to hear what goals and aspirations some of my fellow Pitters may have before this season ramps up into high gear!!!

KEEP CALM, SMOKE ON!!!!!!!

Pastrami. It doesn't really look that hard. It's a little bit time intensive, but otherwise it appears eminently doable.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca after brining, I soaked it in water, changed out the water and then on to the smoker.

I'm going to look for one of those crappy corned beefs in the store and try that. I was just not that happy with MY corned beef. But even with what I considered a deficient corned beef the pastrami was outragously good!

I'll update this comment in a few minutes wi the link to the AR recipe I used.

Oh, yeah, I WILL figure out what I did wrong with the corning (or that it was just a not so good cut)!

Link to recipe I used: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/..._pastrami.html
      Last edited by richinlbrg; April 25, 2015, 11:28 AM. Reason: Updated for link

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      A friend of mine who runs a restaurant made corned beef for a St Patrick's Day special, and they used Alton Brown's recipe:

Alton Brown's corned beef recipe

The two are very close. What I was thinking was to cure the beef, then desalinate, then rub and smoke.

• dereklhall
      dereklhall commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely want to try the Katz style pastrami. Sounds like a labour of love.

Get my catering business set up so I can do multiple butts/shoulders with smoked beans and start doing farmers markets as my intro to the business.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a fun project, What kind of rig are you going to use? Are going to buy a new rig.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm starting small. I have a Cookshack electric and will be getting a PBC in the near future to increase my capacity. I plan on cooking the meat in advance, vacuum bagging it ,and reheating at the farmers markets in a cooler full of hot water. I'll take my grill to heat water to add to cooler if it cools too quickly. I'll also have some smoked sausages if folks prefer those over pulled pork. I plan on offering plates for a set price. May also do bulk "to go" containers if the demand is there. The market is only three hours, and we're a fairly small town, so I don't think I'll sell a lot, but time will tell. First step is getting my alternate kitchen set up and inspected. You can't use your "normal" kitchen for catering in Nebraska, so setting up one in my basement.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool Plan! About a two weeks ago I saw a trailer ( racing car size ) that probably had about $10,000.00 worth of smokers on the back. Big upright and big horizontal.

--Ed

I'm going to build my cinder block offset smoker soon and then learn to cook with wood. Just trying to figure out designing with Sketchup and looking for a convenient source for expanded steel

Comment

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like fun. Good luck and take some pics as you build.

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      mackdaddy - my pickiness made me stop. Realized that I would never be happy with an impermanent creation. The smoke leaks would have made me crazy. So I'm back to waiting impatiently for an actual offset smoker.

• AllenW
      AllenW commented
      Editing a comment
      See if you have something like we do here, a Metal supermarket.

http://buynow.metalsupermarkets.com/...cEMaAl-A8P8HAQ

You might find cut offs that will work for you and at a reduced price.

Al

Do another pastrami flat, maybe some bacon. Got something to smoke in my kettle.

Comment

My goal is to try and actually have time off work to cook something more in depth than a cheeseburger. 7/12's will kill your free time.

Comment

I'm planning on cooking in at least three Eggfests this summer. I enjoy cooking for other people & meeting the other cooks. i look forward to having people over & cookin for them. I also want to get better brisket results.

Comment

I want to win a BBQ contest! Been a dry spell since 2009, it's time.

Comment

Getting another smoker of some type, I hope, I have multiple 50 person cooks planned and now 2 100 people cooks, gotta do it all on a PBC and 22" kettle.

That and burgers, my burgers are good but I really want to nail down a process I love.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              um, yes, you will need some more cooking capacity!

So fun deciding and buying and then feeding more peeps

Great thread. I plan on attending as many comps as possible, take Harry Soo's comp class and get my chicken to the point where I own it instead of the other way around. Next year I'll be ready to compete. No big hurry here.

Comment

• mackdaddy
              mackdaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Where do you find the info for the different classes or BBQ schools that they have. I would be interested in attending a few.

• scorched_porch
              scorched_porch commented
              Editing a comment
              Join your state BBQ association. They will have a good list.

Great thread! Some of you may have been wondering why I haven't posted my cooks in a while... as it turns out I have a pretty big goal for 2015 and if I shared pics of my cooks I'd be letting the "cat out of the bag" before it's time.

This is a great thread but I can't share just yet... maybe next week.

Comment

My 2 biggest goals are pizza on my weber and perfecting my own burger grind. 1st run at pizza was not to good. Trying my first home ground burgers tomorrow. Brisket with some bacon. We'll see.

Comment

• bslogsdon
                bslogsdon commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Burn. They turned out pretty good but need a little more fat. I will try the chuck and butt next time. Thanks for the info.

• mackdaddy
                mackdaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you do the pizza? Can one do a stromboli? Giant makes them and it would be interesting to cook it on a grill instead of an oven.

• bslogsdon
                bslogsdon commented
                Editing a comment
                Just been playing with different set-ups trying to fine tune the heat. Check out the Pizza section under recipes and techniques. I would think a stromboli or calzone would work the same.

Beans with rib meat, asian and cajun bacon, brisket.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have a recipe for Cajun Bacon? I would love to try that one. aarontbell

I'm deciding on which one to work on this summer as far as smoking goes: ham, brisket, or beef ribs. I am also wanting to work on a mustard sauce.

Comment

GREAT thread!

First, I am with Stoney. I need time, and for my just pulled back to heal. Kinda stinks, I just cleaned and re-seasoned my WSM, and haven't used it. ARRGGGHHHHHH.

I want to try a chuckie, re-create my [again] mis-placed pork rub recipe (think I have it), plenty of ribs and pulled pork. I want to try bacon next time a friend slaughters.

Oh, yeah, i need to replace my WSM door and get a better seal on the WSM lid.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis