Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a weather station??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a weather station??

Looking to get a not too expensive one soon. Be testing out a new product, so I would like one to hang on the back porch (where the cooking takes place, most times), so I can actively monitor ambient temp and humidity.

Should also help nail down lighting times for the PBC more accurately under various weather conditions. Which lately has been rain, rain, hail, rain, more hail. Almost got stuck 3 times on the zero turn today. It starts raining again tomorrow, so it was definitely go time.

start here Jerod

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...uyingguide.asp

Red

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh, love me some wunderground....thanks!!

Due to my current location, I'm going with a "RPWS" aka Rudimentary Personal Weather Station, then I can upgrade when we move........

Thanks again!!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles You a truck driver or somethin'???

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard yes, my wife and I have been driving together for over 25 years

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Wow, I lived with my first wife for about 14 months, she then took a LEFT turn to someone else. hahaha

Jerod, it's not a weather station but if your smart phone has a barometer then at least you could check the atmospheric pressure.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm, not sure it does. I know having temp AND current humidity will help.

Hi Jerod,

I have a small weather station in my back 40. The company is AcuRite. Bascially consists of a 5 In 1 sensor mounted on an 8' ft tripod and a "bridge" that captures data and sends it to a website so you can monitor everything. I have about $300.00 invested. You can spend more than $1000.00 if you so desire.

Station has been up since 12/20, and after manually adjusting the barometer and the forecast, the readings are pretty consistent with other local stations. I do have issues with temperature spikes, but have not really done anything to mitigate them. I don't publish to Weather Underground, but do look at close by WUGS to compare readings and get the forecast.

I've been lucky with my station thus far, as you can go to their forum and read horror story after horror story. You can also do the same with the $1000.00 (e.g., Davis, Oregon Scientific, etc.) Click image for larger version

Name:	5In1_Mounted.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	79129 setup.

I really do like my WS, but don't expect it to last beyond the year warranty. Below is a picture of the WS. You can find me on the AcuRite forum as "Medusa".

HTH,

--Ed

Comment

Cool. I been reading up on it. I don't have the room here. For now, $50-75 will get me what I need.

Comment

Hi Jerod,
        Did you ever manage to determine if humidity impacted your burn rates / temps?

Mike

Comment

Not yet. In the process of moving, and here at the new home I have a covered patio where I can get exact measurements, pretty much out of the wind and everything
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 20, 2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you get a weather station? If so, which one?

I think having a weather station under a patio cover will adversely impact some data, especially temperature. I thought about buying a weather station, but reading the reviews led me to suspect that one within the price range I was willing to pay would not be very reliable. I ended up finding out that a fellow down the block has a good set-up that reports continuously on wunderground. Maybe look at wunderground for folks reporting in your immediate area? You'd get good data for no expense.

OTOH, if "patio" conditions are what you want. Lowe's and Home Depot sell nice units by Acu-rite for $20-$50. They'll give temp and humidity, but not rainfall, wind, etc.

Comment

I won't be putting it underneath the patio, it is going to be in a well ventilated shaded area. I do check with the local weather station and things are pretty close but our internet goes in and out so I have the weather station.

In the sun it matches up with the heat index most of the time hahaha

Comment

You can always goto www.wunderground.com and check stations that are local to your area. I do this for comparison and forecast info. I don't publish data, ( = don't pay $$ ) so I just look at the one closest to me.

Good luck with the new homestead!

--Ed

Comment

www.noaa.gov, then type in your zip code. Same reports that your local airport issues.

http://darkskyapp.com This is supposed to be a good app.
                Last edited by Munch; July 23, 2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis