Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dishwasher Advice - pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dishwasher Advice - pls

Hi Folks!

First, Thanks in Advance to anyone who replies to this post. It's time to replace our 14 yr old DW. Lord knows how things have changed.

I've spent a few days agonizing over numerous reviews on various DW's. The common theme seems to be various breakdowns within a few months to a year + mainly due to cheap plastic parts, blah, blah, blah. You know the story, 50 great reviews and 50 horrifying 1 star reviews. The MFG's that I've looked at include Kenmore Elite: ( horrible ), Whirlpool ( pretty good ), Bosch ( pretty good ), Frigidaire Gallery ( forget ), KitchenAide ( forget ) and a few others.

I have subscription to CR, but in many cases they say ( highly recommend ), but consumer reviews are awful. It really seems like trying to buy the lesser of the evils.

I really like the Whirlpool Gold ( seems to have the best reviews ), but #1 really likes ( I like it too) the Bosch 500 series. We're going with all Stainless. I'd also consider the Thermadore Topaz, but this is high dollar. I'm not really concerned about "automatic filter cleaning".

You know that you can't trust all "reviews" that you're reading on-line, so I appreciate anything you care to share, but also respect your privacy and that fact that your experiences are personal.

I can't believe that our cheaper little GE Profile has held up so well after 14 years!!

--Ed

It's been a while since I sold dishwashers, but my favorite at the time was the LG. Be aware that Kenmores are made by Whirlpool, which is also Kitchenaid, Maytag and many other brands. A lot of people like Bosch, I was unimpressed. Thermidor is part of Bosch. I would avoid Fridgidaire/Electrolux.

Comment

There are four manufacturers of dishwashers in the US. We purchased a KitchenAid about 6 months ago on the advice of our neighbor who repairs appliances and it is an awesome dish cleaner. We thought the Maytag we owned for 10+ years was good at cleaning dishes but it doesn't even come close to how this KitchenAid performs. I can't speak to how it will perform over the long haul but based on our experience with a high end clothes dryer a couple years ago we now get the extended warranty when we purchase appliances so we know we are covered for 5 years. That is what I know.

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        I generally stay away from extended plans on electronics like TV's, computers; however, I am considering it regarding appliances. Seem like MTF ( Mean Time to Failure ) is built in to expire immediately after a 1-yr warranty.

Thanks!

We have a Maytag, it's about 2 yrs old and has performed flawlessly. The gal at home depot (or was it ABC Warehouse? Can't remember) recommended it, said she's had the exact same one for years and it's held up better than her last one. A lot of that kind if thing is "yeah right, sure you do" but we had to pick one. We love it so far. Gets fairly heavy use, family of 5.

One time my wife forgot to tighten the cap inside that goes on the rinse solution, and it fell onto the heating element during the wash and melted. She called their (Maytag's) CS and they sent us a replacement cap for free.

I call that great customer service if ever there was such a thing. Like most things, every brand is made by another brand so what really is a Maytag? I don't know but it's a great machine so far FWIW.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0129.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	78517
      Attached Files

Comment

The one I have now I like pretty well, a Whirlpool, but I can't say I have a lot to compare that to. We bought our house new in 2007 and it is the only appliance I have not had to repair/replace.

Comment

We have a Bosch. It had the best combo of price and low dB (quiet) since the GF is sensitive to noise. It's all stainless (inside and out). It doesn't have a hot air drying cycle so you need to open and let the dishes air dry or wipe them quickly with a rag. It was in the neighborhood of $800 at Lowes when I redid the kitchen 4 years ago.

Comment

We had a Kitchenaide for about 8 years and worked awesome. At the time we bought it, it was the middle of the three offerings. Not the cheap one and not the most expensive. About a year ago one of the spring assemblies broke and the door fell when opened. Bent it bad enough that it wouldn't close. I priced out replacement parts and it was almost as much as a new dishwasher. So I bought a Bosch - Model #SHE65T55UC. We really like it so far and haven't an issue with it yet and we've had it more than a year. It is so quiet you can barely hear it run and most of the time you only know it is running when it drains. Like Dewesq said above, it doesn't have a hot air dry cycle (no heating element in the base) which allows you to put plastic in the bottom shelf. I find if you just let it sit for a while the dishes will mostly be dry.

Comment

I had a $1000 KitchedAid stainless steel inside and out very nice unit. After 5 repair calls on that piece of garbage I took it out, under warranty, threw it away, and bought a new one. The new one, Whirlpool, has been good. You just never know what you'll get these days. I will add that out KitchenAid side by side fridge with ice and water in the door is also a pile of shit. The icemaker freezes up all the time. We bought the extended waranty on this one so they have been out 15 times in less than 2 years. Say it is just how it is. I figured a 3 grand fridge ought to not perform like a 2 year old designed it.

Comment

I hand wash all my dishes and use my DW as a drying rack. Yeah I know but I don't trust DWs

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Too funny. I have a small Haier countertop dishwasher in my vacay home in Va. My gf does the same thing with that one. I use it as a dishwasher and it works well. It has a pretty quick cycle so the fact that it doesn't hold that much is mitigated by the fact that you can run a second load pretty quickly.

Brenda and I went through this about a year ago. We had a 3 shelf Maytag that we really liked but it was getting long in the tooth so to speak so after much teeth gnashing and review we got an LG with the live steam feature and it had 3 shelves.. Very quiet, does a pretty good job, and after I modified the top shelves it is more than satisfactory.

I read all the reviews and some of them were absolutely horrifying. So we looked and mostly ignored the reviews both personal and commerrcial and got some piece of mind.

Comment

The 17 year old Kitchenaide is again working like a champ! Took some effort to get it fixed, the model number had corroded in the door -- had the owners manual. Got the pump replaced and the upper spray arm assembly broke! 6 weeks later the Sears repair guy had it back as good as new. Told me that "they just don't make DW like this any more!"

Comment

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CandySueQ, I would agree with you!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis