Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treating Burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treating Burns

I am WHOOPED! I also managed to burn the fritter out of the pad of my left ring finger. A safety tip, important burn tip, if you are burned, any kind of burn, put vinegar on it. For my fingertip, I used a custard cup and put a couple of tablespoons of vinegar so I could just soak the fingertip in it. because the burn was hot and deep, it was trying to blister. You will notice immediately, the pain backs off. a burn is awful because, like the meat we love, out own skin continues to cook itself with carryover, cooking and burning deeper layers. our meat browns because of a chem reaction called the Miallard reaction (science types, did I spell that right?) If you happen to see your burger trying to burn, put a bit of vinegar on it and it will slow the surface burn down, allowing the inside to cook while slowing surface burn.

Anyway, I had to soak my fingertip for quite some time. t became that pruny thing you get after swimming or a long bath. I hear some folks have that reaction washing dishes. I wouldn't know ;-) Anyway, that much vinegar soaking in, finally made it as deep as the burn. I think I may avoid a blister, after all. at lest it isn't burning, anymore but it still smarts!

this is great for cooks but, with summer coming on, it is even more of a big deal and family tip for sunburns. Sunburns are the result of over exposure to the skin of Beta radiation and Gamma radiation. it burns the surface of the skin, and then, holding the heat, radiates the heat further to lower layers of the skin. that is what causes the sunburn to still be hot and painful even after you are out of the sun. your skin is still cooking itself.

My Grandmother Opal, who had a 3rd grade education, taught me this. probably didn't know why, but knew how to fix a burn and a sunburn. Probably had no idea why, just knew it worked. For a sunburn, dilute your vinegar 1:1 with water. use washcloths or hand towels, whatever size needed to cover the entire area that is burned. wet the towel or cloth and drape it onto the burn. hen the towel becomes warm to the touch, change to a second towel and keep going back and forth until the heat is gone. Since I learned this, I have never had a sunburn that bothered me longer than it took to do this, have never, ever, no matter how bad the day in the sun, blistered or peeled.

Doesn't make it OK to be in the sun too long but makes the immediate pain a little less. I hope this makes your summers a little better!

I know I posted this part twice, but I wanted to put this part in the general area. I have known this for years but, since leaving Texas, I had forgotten it until I was in college and was reminded how this worked. that was when I remembered my grandmother doing this for me. It is just one of those tips that I like to pass along whenever I can because I know how much this hurts and I want to help folks feel better anywhere I can.

Interesting regarding vinegar. I do know that if you burn, say, your finger if you immediately immerse it in cool water and keep it there for a good 20 minutes you will end up pain free and will not have any sear marks or other visible signs you were burned.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Never had more than momentary relief with cold water, but, yes, definitely the best first step. you really don't need vinegar so much unless it is a deep burn, trying to blister or a radiation burn like a sunburn that continues to do damage, even when you have left the offending environment. I know my finger was trying to blister yesterday and is just vaguely tender, today. I wish the internal application of alcohol would help me. I rarely drink. I'm always the designate driver. Generally, when I burn a finger, I might go between the vinegar bowl to holding a cold soda. easiest way to keeps the cold, moist against the fingertip. for those that prefer, I suppose beer would be as efficacious ;-)

Ethanol alcohol, internally applied, until the pain goes away. lather rinse repeat.

Comment

I have grabbed a hot cast iron skillet out of the oven on many occasions, spoon that got hot while resting on the side of a pot etc. That's why I keep a glass of whisky handy while cooking. LOL!!

Comment

I was just talking to my Dad yesterday about this. He read an article, I think in the Wall Street journal about putting your hand in flour. It's even better if you keep some cool in the fridge. I have heard of this before, it not sure where.

Jim

Comment

Yellow mustard works wonders too. Just apply, let completely dry and then rinse or lick it off. Just be careful not to eat your fingers.

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            yellow mustard has a hjigh concentration of vinegar. and the spices don' hurt.

Once, when I was young, by accident I grabbed the exhaust header of a running motorcycle (BSA 650 Lightning, I'm a old guy) right where it came out of the engine. I grabbed it so hard that my hand left a palm print on the pipe. I ran inside and plunged my hand into a pitcher of just-iced tea, and left it there for about an hour; every time I took it out it started hurting again.

At some point I was able to take my hand out of the cold pitcher and wrap it with gauze, and I'm sure I used CurlingDog's suggestion. What probably would have been a huge third degree burn was instead a big blister; painful, but nothing like it could have been.

We tossed the iced tea, no one wanted to drink it after that.
          Last edited by Mosca; April 15, 2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis