Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First spring cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First spring cook

Beyond just the first Spring cook, yesterday was also my first cook on my new Lang 36" hybrid patio. The smoked menu consisted of 3 racks of baby back ribs and a 9 pound pork shoulder.

I've posted some pics that I hope you'll enjoy. The Lang delivered on everything I expected from it after researching smokers for several months. The unit holds great temps and cleans up even faster. One thing I would like to point out is the difference in temps between the built-in Lang temp gauge and my dual probe Redi-Check throughout the cook, the Redi-Check was exactly 30 degrees ahead of the built-in gauge. I knew this would be the case going in. As good as built-in gauges can be, this affirmed to me that you can't cook by them.

As for the fire, I held 240-250 for the entirety of the burn - adding one pecan stick every hour. One thing I have to figure out is, how to get the smoker into the 220-225 range. The stack damper was at 45 and the two firebox pinwheels were nearly closed, but I guess for the size fuel I was using 240 may have been as low as I could go. By the way, I used pecan mini-logs that you get at Academy Sports. I had a very efficient fire all day - thin blue smoke ruled the day.

Here in Knoxville, it was 73 and sunny yesterday - prime cooking weather.

I smoked the ribs for 4 hours and the completed product had roughly ~1/8" smoke ring. The shoulder smoked for almost 12 hours and it had about a 1/4" smoke ring. Truthfully, I've never seen a smoke ring that deep before - at least anything I've ever smoked, so this felt like the grand prize for a day's labor. :-)

In the end, the Lang held temps like I could have never asked for. The food product was excellent. The cleanup was even the easiest part.

Get a stick burner. Get a Lang. Done & done. :-)

Pretty neat. Since my son moved to Vegas, my main consumer of cooked meats, It's just the wife and I know. She likes Propane. So now I just smoke for the Beagle and me.

Comment

Looks good all around, good pick.

Comment

Nice looking smoker and a very nice inaugural cook.

Comment

That is nice!

Comment

WOA!! NICE!

Comment

Nicely done! At some point in my life I will own a Lang. For now, I am going to try and convince my wife that I need a 22.5" WSM, which won't be easy. Baby steps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis