Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hippity hop, all day long!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hippity hop, all day long!

Guess what the Easter Bunny brought to ME??? my VERY first cherry!!! I have a lovely Cherry Bush in my front yard but it has never made. I had been mentioning to HWMO that we needed a mate. without prodding, he forgets... so, 2 years ago, I just up and ordered some. no blossoms on the mate last year. this year, they bloomed. Yesterday, I took a little walk around the yard, just to see where everything was, confirm the placement for this year's straw bales and decided to take a look at the cherries. Lo and behold, my first EVER cherry about as big as the tip of my little finger. all green and fat and growing! I am SO excited! I have a small yard, but everything I plant makes something. Apples, pecans, pears, garlic, ginger, honey berries now cherry bushes and a multiple stone fruit tree just planted this year. 8 kiwi vines entering their second season, we'll probably see a small crop on them next year. and, of course the bees, who are returning to my life in two weeks. then, of course, the seasonals. I love growing things.

and all of this on a lot that is 75' by 150'. you can grow food anywhere.

Hey, I have 4 acres and a smoker if you ever want to relocate LOL. I just gotta get rid of the wife first...... If only the deer didn't eat everything in sight!

Comment

pee on your borders. or, should the neighbors object, collect and pour. tends to scar deer away. they don't like hanging around predators. also, do NOT ever be nice to a deer. yes, they are adorable and Bambi's story was tragic (if not a tiny bit yummy!) but deer can become acclimated to humans VERY fast. once that happens, their life span is usually measured in months if not weeks. I did some wildlife rescue, years ago OK, I had a squirrel in my wall, the dogs heard it and went ballistic! HWMO opened the wall and found a nest of pinkies. we raised them (cause Mom was NOT coming back) the wildlife center that helped me (illegally, I might add) was also rehabbing a fawn who's mother had been hit by a car. there were signs all over the privacy fence around the fawn, "ALWAYS act aggressively when entering the pen. the fence was 8 feet tall so the fawn could NOT see people coming and going. the reason was to give the fawn a chance when she was released. if they are domesticated, they'll walk right up to a hunter.

Now, the deer population where I live is getting out of hand. the state is actually soliciting hunters in some areas because of it. partly because most of the large predators are gone.

they didn't succeed with her. unfortunately, she was a smart little thing. Sadly, the state insisted she be released where she was, regardless of her domestication and likely fate. the woman who helped me raise the squirrels engaged in another ever so slightly illegal action. she saved that baby. there is a really neat place outside of Atlanta called The yellow River Game Ranch. what a COOL place, especially for the kidlets. General Lee (the groundhog prognosticator of the South) lives there. but they take in all sorts of wildlife which for one reason or another, cannot be released to the wild.

technically, ALL wildlife belongs to the sate. even if they are residing in your attic. so the disposition of any creature is their decision. of course, this goes back to ancient European laws regarding wild creatures and who has the right to hunt. Since we were not IN Georgia, she could not legally turn the fawn over to Yellow River. she had already contacted them and the ranch said,"sure, send her down" our state said "no" release her to the wild.

so, I gave her a suggestion. Call Yellow River. tell them when and where you plan to release her. they just MIGHT be in the area. Now, I'm not gonna say whether she took me up on the idea, but it sure would have solved her problem.

but, I digress...as usual....sorry. there are also certain plants you can put on the perimeter of your property to deter them. but, all in all, nature is the best manager of these things (kinda like the egg shells) Another great resource for this is hunters. no one is a greater conservationist than a hunter. ask them what they avoid, and do THAT!

warning, if you go to the Game Ranch, make CERTAIN you have enough to feed the deer (the ranch sells it at a pretty steep mark up but that is how they support the ranch). if you run out before you get past the deer, you'll find yourself being pushed around. by a dear. or 20.....

then, a little further down the path are the squirrels. and the chipmunks....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis