Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait, wait! WAIT!! Don't throw that out!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, wait! WAIT!! Don't throw that out!!

OK, you CAN throw it out but throw it in the right place. NOTHING political, here but, this planet is, scientifically speaking, a closed system. ever have a terrarium? you seal it up. nothing in, nothing out. the planet is a giant, (to us) terrarium (hence the name OF the terrarium, but I digress) Nothing drives me more barking than to see someone go to the garden shop and buy a plant treatment to prevent blossom end rot, then watch them make breakfast and toss the eggshells in a garbage can.

I don't every expect everyone to know the next step of everything. no one can. but you can find them. read, talk ask. but, more importantly, look at what is in your hand. what is it made of? where did it originate, what was around it/ No, NOT in the grocery store!!! Guatamlan gooey stuff isn't going to help you here. but, grab it anyway, it might taste yummy in a meat rub or dessert. or other spicy entertainment

<ahem> where was I? Oh, yeah, eggshells. so, eggshells are nearly all calcium. if your dog is having trouble and needs calcium, feed them the shells. not all dogs will eat the shells. mine don't they just lick out the juicy yummy and spit out the crunchy parts. Dogs. picky eaters. Never fear. grind them up, mix with the dog food and fido gets a calcium supplement. Growing tomatoes. first, never plant tomatoes in the same place two years in a row. they are a high nutrition demand and deplete the soil fast. just pick 2 or 3 spots in your yard and rotate them yearly. meanwhile, all year long, grind up those egg shells (if there is no Fido) and distribute them through the tomato patches.

BBQ. OOOOHH! OOOHH! OOOHHH! that sweet seduction that brings us, in particular, together. but, (cue the black & white with the frustrated guy who can't manage to tie his shoes ) What a MESS!! Ashes everywhere! cleaning out the grill is SUCH hard work. and WHAT do you do with all those ashes? Oh, that's easy. and we're back to Fido, again. We have a little hole in the back yard. every few days, we clean up the lovely gifts left by the dear Tovi and lives up to her name, Tangle. and put them in the hole. yeah, that gets nasty, fills up fast and then, you gotta dig a new hole. but, there are some things you learn living rural with no running water. like how to keep an outhouse sweet. ashes.

Wood ash is very high in a chemical called potassium Hydroxide. this stuff has LOTS of uses! for our purposes, we are going to use it to break down the doggie waste. It is also an essential ingredient in soap making. a very tedious process when made from the scratch of ashes. simple, fun, and fantastic gift opportunities if you buy the chemicals clean. so, when wandering about cleaning the yard, take the leavings to you conveniently dug latrine, dump, add ashes, wet. done.

there are more. and more, and more. simple things that make life in the big city (or ChattaVegas) better, cheaper, closer to the land and easier. just look at what you are about to throw away. How could it be better used.

Oh, and buy some Redworms. Love those little guys, too. My life is all about the bugs!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis