Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left overs & Dim Sum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left overs & Dim Sum

Dim Sum is a steamed bun, usually filled with Chinese pork BBQ. the pastry is China's version of hot pastry dough. REALLY easy to pull together. then filled, closed (in a REALLY cool little technique), then steamed to cook.

So, made up the pastry, as soon as I put down the keyboard, I'm going to go put them together for dinner, tonight. Since I have no Chinese BBQ to hand, and I DO have BBQ from the last cook, I'll use that for my filling. Pics and taste reports to follow.

Dim sum is any of the small plates of food served in the dim sum style. Buns (and there are various types) are bao. The steamed ones with barbecued pork are char shiu bao.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; April 3, 2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Sorry Folks but Dim Sum has evolved into so much more than food filled steamed buns. We live in Southern CA. last week we went to our favorite Chinese restaurant (capital sea food) for a dim sum lunch. Prepared meats, mini egg rolls, buns of course, dumplings stuffed w/pork or chicken or veggies, chicken feet, etc. We've had the same selection offered to us in NYC, San Francisco, Miami.
      We've had the same selection served to us in NYC,

Comment

I agree with you but I was bitten by autocorrect disease

Comment

OK, I claim absolutely ZERO experience or expertise in Chinese cuisine. the extent of most of my Chinese cooking experience is egg drop soup (my go to when ill) and sweet & sour chicken. I have never made either of these 9though I likely will) just from the local take out. sadly, most of the Chinese take outs in ChattaVegas are owned and operated y Mexican nationals with neither English nor Chinese language skills.

This particular recipe came to me courtesy of the weekly e-mail from Fine Cooking. there was a lovely Chinese woman on video making them. She did everything, of course, from making the pastry and made the BB in the wok as she went. the most interesting part to me was the dumplings themselves.

For those who are new here or simply new to my own patented brand of insanity, present me a challenge, catch my interest, and ath me feed everyone I know the same dish for weeks until I get it RIGHT

Well, by didn't of my own ingenuity and laziness, I was able to do these without too many mistake. easily fixed and upgrading the next dumpling. We made 16 of them. we cooked 8 and the other 8 will go cool their heels in the freezer until we decide to try them. more than likely this will be next Friday. cause we'll have BBQ & Bacon on Saturday, and Ham for Sunday.

THE most fun of making these is doing it all by hand. well, in some cases I can handle certain things. other times I find that trying for the first time

the pastry was way sticky,, hard to handle and needed some work. so, back to a bit of kneading to toughen up the pastry. it worked. that was the beginning.

Next, portion the pastry. nothing too tricky one pie cutes to four, those four also cut to 4 now, with sixteen to cook.

again in my time I love to try something new, it helps is you. I have a GREAT tom trying New Stuff, lodes of fun, and fewer left overs, I may use this a standby for leftover BBQ

Well, here is the wonderful Steamed Pork BBQ dumpling in this case, I think it will keep this as a recipe as a way to impress people\

Finish dinner with nice sugar and my cherry pie came out very nicely do a 'house

always, using VERY soft flour a mlx I new deduct the water and bade back in pastry

I have always like trying new thing, the chicken

PS this look the quickest and easiest when you are looking for a new way to use last pork. As other so, this will fallow into using everything excpecting BBQ & sauce, as the sauce will be inside the dumpling> I thick I wan use I nee do post all my pics.

So, here's the start: roll fault (I like my Tortilla press) after takin off in sheet

Here are the several pictures HWMO took as I made them. notice the upturned bowl incredibly handy. elevates the dumpling, making it easier to handle, put the small 2 1/2" square of parchment paper. put the bun in your steamer WITH the parchment paper used to carry the bun.

Meanwhile, at the moment the tuna cans are being used. so,instead, we are making our deserts in soufflé cups. tonight is Cherry, my favorite. we chose to use more sugar and put a few whole berries in, then a couple of handfuls dried, topped again with more frozen cherries. the dry cherries offer the opportunity for those cherries to soak up the juice. the Pielettes were baked at 350 for 35 minutes. hot and bubbly. I hope you all enjoy the pictures as well as the we enjoyed eating it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gathering.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	76332

Name:	closing.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	76335

Name:	closed.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	76336

Name:	twist off.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	76337 Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished dumpling.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	76338

Name:	ready to steam.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	76339 Click image for larger version

Name:	3  & 4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	76340

Name:	steamed & not.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	76341

Name:	dinner.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	76342
          Attached Files

Comment

You definitely have a pastry party of some sort going on!!!

Comment

And, I also need to proof read. I get to typing fast, trying to take notes as I go, then not checking to make sure my cursor hasn't moved (which, apparently It randomly does) this is NOT an issue on this website. it may be that my keyboard has trouble keeping up with my changes combined with the fact5 that I failed typing maybe 4 times in high school. thank goodness for deletes, backspace and spell check! But, sometimes, this thing will move my cursor from the end of the line to the middle or even back to the beginning. and the next phrase gets moved and nothing makes sense. which is kind of appropriate since, I often don't make sense.

Oh, well, call these little buns whatever you like, I loved em. HWMO wasn't so enthusiastic (whaddaya want from a guy who's mom thinks the height of cuisine is making lasagna with cottage cheese and her 'secret' ingredient, wait for it, a French's Spaghetti Spice Packet! WOOT!) anyway, I loved em. the pastry is a bit on the sweet side. that is, I suspect to accommodate the sweet & soy flavor of Chinese BBQ. but it was certainly an excellent way to finish off the last of the left over BBQ. I don't know that I would make it as a dish unto itself for steamed dumplings but will mostly use it as another way to do left overs.

HWMO said it wasn't really distinctive to him. just BBQ in a bun. harrumph! I thought it was a very cool technique if nothing else.

so, give them a try. if anyone wants to link, I'll post it to Fine Cooking. this lovely lady doing the demo I believe is their go to for Chinese cooking. she was very good at demonstrating the technique. I had few lazy lady adjustments. one of the, if you take a look at the pics of gathering the dough, I upended a cereal bowl and set my little parchment square on it. the depression in the bottom kept your dumpling where you want them, having it on the paper makes t easy to turn as you go. the bowl, tself, allows you to get all the way around the dumpling from nearly all angles since you are on the elevated and tapered surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
                sadly, most of the Chinese take outs in ChattaVegas are owned and operated y Mexican nationals with neither English nor Chinese language skills.
                This is very funny. In NYC we have a whole bunch of Tex-Mex tortillas joints owned and operated by Chinese.

Comment

I've put smoked brisket and made empanadas and they were great! I've always wanted to do a brisket bao!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis