Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm to Table: Honey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm to Table: Honey

I use my own honey for sweetining most things. Two vids I made to show the process.
    Not BBQ but fun none the less. Please don't throw tomatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3isw-2NBE "Would Bee Adventures"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIwRAI-ZgY " MY Honey"
    Last edited by troymeister; April 2, 2015, 06:22 PM.

Troy, Congrats on your Bee Hive project. The honey really looks great.

Comment

troymeister honey has its place in the BBQ world

Comment

Amazing little insects. Love local raw honey. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Love the brilliant geometric shapes they make to hold all that honey. I think fracmeister does the bee thing too.

My dad had a hive growing up. That stuff is off the chain, I mean hive.

troymeister what does that spinning do?
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 2, 2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard, the spinning thing is like a centrifuge. It basically throws the honey out of the comb against the walls of the barrel where it runs down to the bottom of the barrel for collection.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Alright thanks. Appears to work better than chewing the hive and spitting the honey out.

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            Not just or even because you don't want to spit out comb. more so that you can save the comb and give it back to the bees. that way, they can just make more honey rather than making more wax AND more honey. it seriously increases the Honey Harvest.

As for the honey comb shape, it have been proven by scientists that it is THE most stable way to build a structure. Nasa stole it for the ablative heat shields on the early capsules. Those honeycombs were all filled with the ablative material , then each cell x-rayed. any problem in a single cell, like a bubble or a crack, that cell was drilled out, completely with a dental drill, then refilled.

This has also been shown to be the most efficient of storage methods, ass well. they can store more honey in a honeycomb shape than any other shape.

Cool, interesting to get your take on this thing I saw not long ago, seems really awesome and innovative.
          https://youtu.be/WbMV9qYIXqM

Comment

• ontheranch
            ontheranch commented
            Editing a comment
            this is utterly brilliant!

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife wants one of these bad!

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! SO many millennia of beekeeping. there is rarely anything TRULY revolutionary in a trade that old, that close to nature. I mean, seriously, the girls know their business. hard to beat them at their own game. but WOW! this is even a way, if you live in the area, to keep a hive and not WORRY whether it is Africanized or not. they tend to produce far more honey per bee but are VERY defensive. not that I would ever intentionally cultivate them. that IS illegal. but for people in those areas, it means you don't have to open as often to make sure your have has not converted! requeen yearly and you're good.

the other thing that I'm seeing in this is the MASSIVE amount of savings in woodenware! Beekeepers invest SERIOUS money in supers and frames for supers. in the winter, we spend all of our storage space or freezer space housing comb, in the freezer so the wax moths and hive beetles can't get it. and, for people like me, dealing with health that makes it hard to deal with bees on their schedule (and thus cost me 4 absconded hives, last year and ALL their honey since they robbed it. OH MAN! I can see, right now, how economical this will be in the long run. and I LOVE the idea of being able to isolate the individual frames to keep the flavors separate. OH! Well, dew, as much as I am drooling over the Sous Vide, I have to try this, first!

$500 to repopulate these hives and all the woodenware they have to support, this would save me a fortune from another disaster!

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          Love the brilliant geometric shapes they make to hold all that honey. I think fracmeister does the bee thing too.

My dad had a hive growing up. That stuff is off the chain, I mean hive.

troymeister what does that spinning do?

I have a couple top bar hives. They don't take too much attention but I travel so much this year I am a little worried.

Comment

but, WOO HOO!! Moe Beekeepers on the forum! Always love finding more beekeepers. I started keeping bees during my exile in Atlanta. Installed my first hive in 1992. Should have seen me waddling around the backyard in my bee gear with a belly that would arrive in the hive 5 minutes before the rest of me. (Yes, I was pregnant. NO nasty comments about weight, please!)

Meanwhile, due to my health last year, my girls became Honey Bound. I was too ill to get into the hives. so, they absconded. the good news it, they robbed out the entire hive. so, put them all in the deep freeze for the winter. the recent cold spell was a gift to us. we pulled out all the hives from the freeze on a night when the temps dropped below freezing. that gave them an opportunity to thaw very slowly.

So, I am repopulating my hive soon! 4 packages coming on April 23. I'll have two Langstroth hives and two top bars. I can't wait to have my girls back. I DO miss them. Perhaps, for the sanity of the form mods, we might need to start another section on the forum (if possible) for us buzz folks.

Comment

anyone want to start a pool to bring over more frames? I am just going to start sending them money every month with a goal of at least 12 of these frames, more are going to be bonuses. with my health issues, this means my hives aren't dependent on me feeling well enough to tend them when HWMO has time to do the back labor! no more losing my hives to honey binding, no more having to process all at once, making a sweet but sticky, gets places you never thought were exposed. no swarming because the bees ran out of work space.

it is really incredible. a huge paradigm shift. Mother Nature has perfected bees, man has been trying to emulate and care for and harvest from for millennia. Dr Langstroth made the most innovative change in the management of bees. one of the first, real changes and innovative Bee management ideas since Langstroth. amazing. Dr Langstroth is ordering a set of these, wherever he is, and thinking, "Why didn't *I* think of that?"

Comment

Karon Adams Thanks for your opinion, it seemed to be one of those things that looked too easy to be true. I have a couple little girls and we all love honey, if this thing would really work it would be great for us to do our own and them learn all about bees without having all of the gear, suits etc.

Comment

I would still HIGHLY recommend personal protection gear. especially for the kidlets. this does NOT mean you'll never need to go into the hive. the brood chamber should be inspected at the beginning & end of every single season as well as at some point in mid season, especially if you have an exceptionally heavy honey flow on. (if you need I can explain how you can tell) during those peak honey seasons, you are going to have a queen laying her little butt off (literally!!) If she is running out of room to lay, you must give her another brood chamber or they WILL swarm within weeks.

what you are really getting out of this is FAR greater honey production with absolutely NO waste. it takes about 3 pounds of honey to make a pound of wax. every time you cut off caps or crush the comb, the girls have to go about rebuilding their home, plus, if you have crushed the comb, their is not enough real state and the girls get antsy when they are crowded.

In this case, no cappings removed, no comb crushed and no a single drop of honey wasted on the ground or in the various pots, strainers and so on. This frame is designed so that the honey drains down the center of the comb. an arrangement SO darned simple I cannot BELIEVE no one has thought of it! another one of those I coulda had a V-8 moment. these guys are ALREADY millionaires JUST on the crowd funding campaign. that's why I want to jump in ASAP. they could close this indiegogo project at ANY moment and then we have to wait for commercial distribution. I am NOT gonna do that. I have already raided ALL my sock drawer money and plan to reserve as many frames as I can right now, so I will at least have one set.

Even HWMO was impressed. and pretty much all he knows about bees is he's allergic to them but he sure does love mead!

Lastly, you have your honey going STRAIGHT into the jar. no big pots going to little pots going to jars. When you finish the comb, you put the top and bottom caps back on them. the bottom cap is another ingenious part of this device. you cannot put the top plug in unless you reset the comb, and when you plug the bottom hole, where the tube comes out, the last few drippings are directed back into the hive and the girls clean up the mess. I hate housekeeping but it is really one of the things they do best.

Yeah, I'm buying these. No more honeybound absconding bees for me just because iago is being an @$$!

PS, if you have any reason to suspect anyone in your family might be allergic, see an allergist ASAP. whether you install bees or not. HWMO is allergic. and now that I think of it, when he went to the allergist to start his treatment, the scratch test showed him allergic to EVERY stinging insect currently inhabiting the Continental US EXCEPT honeybees. great! but, that includes wasps, fire ants and SO many others.. if you are sensitive, today's reaction might be uncomfortable. but, these reactions are cumulative and can go over the edge with NO notice whatsoever.

Comment

• _John_
                    _John_ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to know, will definitely get them checked. Interested to see how it works for you in reality.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis