Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

I Need a Raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pkadare
    Club Member
    • Jun 2019
    • Bobcaygeon, Ontario
    • My gear:
      22 Weber Kettle
      Napoleon PRO Charcoal Kettle Grill
      Broil King Keg
      Traeger Pro 34
      Napoleon Prestige Pro 500
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Blackstone Range Combo Griddle

I Need a Raise

So in Microsoft's org chart, I'm only 6 levels below Satya. Certainly not reflected in our pay differential. All kidding aside, as a stockholder and an employee, IMO, he deserves to be well compensated.

https://www.crn.com/news/cloud/micro...as-cloud-booms
  • crazytown3
    Club Member
    • Jul 2019
    • Stansbury Park, UT USA
    • Weber Performer (AH) - Black
      Weber Smokey Mountain 18
      ThermaPen Classic - Red

IN the post Steve Ballmer era, I would say Satya has done very well. He has refocused the company, and brought people 'back in to the fold'.

EDIT: On a complete tangent, and just for memories sake, I used to work for Microsoft back in the day. 1998 - 1999-ish. I worked for a game company (Access Software) in Salt Lake City, which was acquired by Microsoft. MS built a new building for us, and we had new resources available to us that we had only dreamed of before. Among other things, we helped 'test' the Xbox system before it was released to market.

I left my job there to be a stay at home Dad when my son was born, and was able to enjoy his first year of life being a house Dad.

I have fond memories of that time of my life.
    Last edited by crazytown3; October 21st, 2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Club Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Texas Gulf Coast
      • Grills:
        Weber 22" Kettle Premium w/Slow N' Sear 2.0
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        W.C. Bradley & Co. Char Kettle CK-115 ~1980s Vintage Grill (inactive)

Accessories:
        Thermopop (Instant Read)
        Thermoworks Smoke

I'm running Linux servers in Azure. I'm running PowerShell on my Mac. I'm running Windows Subsystem for Linux on my W10 box.

Definitely no longer the Ballmer era.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        • Jun 2014
        • East Texas
        • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
          Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
          Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
          Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
          Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
          Weber Smokey Joe Gold
          Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
          Vortex
          Maverick ET-732 White
          Maverick ET-732 Copper
          2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
          Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
          Thermoworks Timestick
          Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
          B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
          B & B Pellets

I hate when people bash CEO's for their pay. rant over

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          CEO pay bashing? That's nothing. Get a few of us in higher ed together and ask us what we feel about head football coach salaries.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Or the 40% of all major league baseball players, or 60% of all NFL football players, or 80% of all NBA basketball players who are broke and bankrupt after their careers are over after having made millions.....
      • mountainsmoker
        Banned Former Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Bryson City, NC

Ah yes the endless discussion of are the CEO's worth the compensation they are paid. Having worked for a Canadian multi-billion aluminum company, I would say that 70 - 80 percent of the CEO's deserve what they earn. The rest are marginal or don't deserve there position.

Microsoft has developed a consistent level of high level managers that they can train to be the next CEO. It is one of there greatest successes and no one in the industry can berate it.

Comment

• tbob4
          Charter Member
          • Nov 2014
          • Chico, CA
          • BBQ's
            Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
            Cherry
            Peach
            Apple

I think he can afford a Kalamazoo grill! He is not allowed to post how well it works, though.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 A gold plated one at that!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            ofelles - Gold Bullion!
        • au4stree
          Club Member
          • Aug 2018
          • Birmingham, AL
          • Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC), PK360(graphite), Jumbo Joe and PBC. Weber kettle @ the hunting camp.

You know, many of the millionaires we see on tv have garages full of cars. I'd have decks/porches/patios just for all my grills. I'd probably have a couple of garages for them too.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            au4stree Cars garages and cookers oh my!
        • pkadare
          Club Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Bobcaygeon, Ontario
          • My gear:
            22 Weber Kettle
            Napoleon PRO Charcoal Kettle Grill
            Broil King Keg
            Traeger Pro 34
            Napoleon Prestige Pro 500
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Blackstone Range Combo Griddle

When Satya took over in 2014 Microsoft's market cap was about $300B. As of today, the last time I checked, we now have a market cap of slightly over $1T. I'd say that he's doing pretty ok. Plus, look at the recent Surface related announcements. When's the last time Microsoft was the company that made sexy hardware?

Comment

• radshop
            Charter Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Orange County CA
            • Lone Star Grillz 20x36 offset
              Weber 26" kettle
              PK Classic
              Weber Genesis gas grill
              Lodge Sportsman Grill
              Weber Smokey Joe Silver
              Smoke Hollow 44 gas smoker
              Cheapo Brinkmann charcoal smoker with DIY propane conversion

As a Linux guy, I agree with Michael_in_TX that Satya is an upgrade over his predecessors. For a lot of us who built careers on the open source stack, Steve Ballmer and Orlando Ayala were the Devil and his Viceroy.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Come on, now. I am an open stack guy. As long as the air-flow between the meat is sufficient, open stacking is a very good way to maximize space in a smaller cooker.

• radshop
              radshop commented
              Editing a comment
              tbob4 - that's a good one
          • Bogy
            Club Member
            • Mar 2016
            • North Central Iowa
            • Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron
              Weber Genesis E-310
              Original Grilla
              Smokey Joe® Charcoal Grill 14"
              Thermoworks ThermoPop
              Thermoworks Thermapen Mk4
              Thermoworks Smoke Thermometer with gateway
              2 iGrillminis - from before they were Weber.

I don't know what my son in law makes, at least not exactly. But he likes working for MS, and it's enough for my daughter to be a stay at home mom while they still have one of my granddaughters at home. I have to admit, I was a little surprised when he told me they were sending him to the Red Hat Summit, because he was going to be working on the Open Source Team for Azure.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Bogy - according to Payscale, the average salary at Microsoft in the US is $118,000.
              https://www.payscale.com/research/US...ft_Corp/Salary

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              pkadare, I know he's somewhere in that range, but I haven't wanted to get real specific about his position, since I might give him a membership for AR for Christmas.
          • Greygoose
            Club Member
            • May 2019
            • South Shore,MA

Don’t give a shit either way

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, live and let live.
              Could I do any better....Nope!!!!

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
          Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
          See more
          See less
          Working...
          X
          Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
          Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
          This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
          Stylish and Affordable
          Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
          A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order