Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A QUESTION OF TECHNIQUE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A QUESTION OF TECHNIQUE...

I'd like some advice regarding the placement of temp probes to measure "grate height" temps. Does the location of the probe inside the cooker get affected by the temp of the meat if the probe is too close to it? If so, how far from the meat do you recommend placing the oven probe?

Typically 2-3" away

Comment

Huskee Thanks Huskee. Normally this wouldn't be much of a problem but in my small pellet smoker, finding 2-3" can be a challenge if the cooker is loaded with meat. Guess it's time to get a bigger one!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        Smokers seem to be multiplying over here at my house...

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        you braggin' or complainin' Paul?

Ray Some things I've done when empty grate space is scarce is poke the probe downward, slightly under the cooking grate (held in place by small wad of foil as necessary), to get the air temp where it's less affected by cold meat's "heat shadow". I have also done the opposite- set the probe more upright, a couple inches above the meat (using a food probe as the cooker sensor). If you're 2, 3, or 5 degrees off due to placement that will not really matter much in the big picture, just do the best you can.

And yes, it sounds like another smoker is in your future!

Comment

PaulstheRibList ..I could easily be accused of coming up with another reason that I need to get another (much bigger) smoker!!

Huskee, thanks of the advice...use of foil is a very clever way to hold a temp probe.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the same space issue with my 14.5" WSM. You could also consider using a magnet and have the probe up above the grate by a couple of inches. basically the magnet would be affixed to the interior wall (or lower part of the lid) of your cooker.

JeffJ, buddy you for shore need a bigger WSM. Just messin with you.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          You ain't kidding! This summer I am going to run with my 14.5 WSM and my Performer w/ Smokenator (I am a BIG fan of the Smokenator) and see how it goes. I'll probably put a 22.5 WSM on my Christmas wish list this year (I have been agonizing between the WSM and PBC but I think I am just better suited for the big WSM). The problem is I am ALSO ogling the 26.5" OTG Weber. That beast equipped with the Smokenator and hover grill runs only about $50 more than a 22.5 WSM. That kind of casual weekend grilling capacity would be REALLY nice. These internal debates are becoming almost painful.

JeffJ You know you have a good point there. My next purchase will be a Yoder Loaded Wichita. I am building my wife a new master bedroom, master bath and large utility room. Once I get finished with that I am pretty sure I can justify the cost of the Yoder. Never thought I would spend that much on anything except a boat (my other weakness) but I think the Yoder will be it for me. I am retiring in a few years and fishing, gardening and cooking is what I will do besides piddling and fixing stuff for everyone.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis