Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethnic

If you are lucky enough to have a population large enough to have a substantial population of old country Americans, you should be able to find an ethnic grocery. HWMO usually does the shopping. So, he goes in the local Mexican Grocery and buys meat. <sigh>
    Now ME, I FINALLY had a chance to go myself. first, nearly NO ONE at the grocery speaks English. but we manage. 2, there are SO many wonderful thins! some I recognized but not as they were intended. I told HWMO that you have to buy stuff you have never tried before!

I bought several things I had never tried and they were marvelous! Cheese and candies and sauces and fruits! TONS of fun! In the midst of all of it, I bought a block of Guava Paste and a package of little plastic envelopes of Tamarind pulp. I'm thinking the Tamarind Pulp will be some kind of AWESOME in pork BBQ and the following sauce. We are putting a butt on the smoke tonight. I think I am going to coat the meat with the tamarind sauce, then put the rub on that, using the tam as my paint/glue/undercoat. it should work really well with my rub. I also think some Pineapple syrup or cooked to syrup would serve that job nicely, too. next time.

I LOVE finding new things and I even more love finding ways to fold it into my own stuff!

You probably know this but tamarind is super sour. Just be careful with it.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      it is actually 'super sour' AND 'super sweet'. I had hoped to use it ON my meat but it simply would not stick to the meat. so, I am thinking of using a little of it in my sauce. I am going to try just some of the meat with JUST tamarind paste as sauce. it is complex, in and of itself, I was looking for 'ingredients' after I tasted it. But, it may make a great dip on its own and a nice kick to a sauce in place of the sour ingredients.

Tamarind paste is the "secret" ingredient in MH's KCBS barbecue sauce. You should try it if you haven't. Great stuff!

Comment

Pit Boss took the words right out of my fingers. I always add a generous amount of tamarind paste in my BBQ sauce.

Comment

It's also great in soups such as hot and sour, curries, or any others that have a citrus background.

Comment

If you love it you can get powder. it will make your stew yellow though. And rubber spatula. and Tupperware......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis