Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days like this I wish I had a stick burner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days like this I wish I had a stick burner...

In-laws are in town for the next 4 days, sure would be nice to sit out with the logs for a solid 2 of those days. Unfortunately they know the PBC doesn't need that much tending.

You could just have a bonfire! Better yet, experiment with burning wood in your PBC.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't somebody on here do that, figure out it was too much BTUs or something? Since I brought that up, I have heard mention of a formula to calculate firebox to chamber size, know anything about that?

Huskee A cursory search shows that a pound of 0% moisture wood should put out about the same btu of charcoal briquettes, though it is more mass based than weight based. In theory it should work.

A rough guess would be that about 1 pound of charcoal is burning at any one time, though that is a very rough guess. So a couple of questions, do you have a primer for getting good clean wood fires going? do you do the initial burn of each log outside the cooker then put it? If half a pound of wood chunks flavors my typical bbq, how does burning logs not completely overpower the flavor.
    Last edited by _John_; March 26, 2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      you have to remember, there are two reasons to use charcoal. first, to drive off combustion gasses and some plant oils you don't want to eat, and 2 to make the following coals last longer. wood burners are more messy, sometimes more stinky and sometimes more dangerous. you have to be careful what wood you use.

Burning logs in a PBC may overpower things, I have no hands-on experience. The reason burning all logs in a stickburner doesn't is they have massive airflow and exhaust. In other words, they are tuned for burning logs. PBCs are specially tuned for burning charcoal as Noah's instructions dictate. Therefore, you wont get a fair comparison burning all logs in the PBC. My response was meant to be mostly a joke, although it certainly wouldn't be impossible to burn logs and find a way to get great results. Burning logs in a PBC would be like bringing home your prized buck from opening day in your corvette. Certainly possible with a little thought, but not at all meant for such a task.

Ernest has been experiment recently with burning wood chunks in his PBC. Let's see if he can jump in with hands-on pointers.

I like to preburn my logs while I'm heating my smoker up, and pull out the wood as it gets black, grey & cracked. About the half-burnt stage. Then I store it in an airtight box (my old upright cabinet smoker) and pull out those logs as needed. Then I can eliminate the moist grey smoke that tends to Come with fresh logs, and the preburnt ones heat up to glowing embers much quicker so they keep a hotter & faster clean smoke fire. Ernest has been experimenting with this also.

I bet it would be a fun and educational test to try it in a PBC, but I simply cannot comment on the practicality of it one way or the other.
    Last edited by Huskee; March 26, 2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Adding wood wasn't a problem. I used long tongs.
      I would like to try something like 8 inch logs, use 2 at a time Preburnt in Weber kettle

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      so, you are making your own charcoal.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Karon Adams No. There is a procedural, chemical, and end product difference between hardwood lump charcoal and preburnt logs. Check out Meathead's article on charcoal, and Dr Blonder's video seminar on wood & smoke. They both touch on the differences.

I have tried using preburnt large wood chunks. I'm not ready to put the results out there but it can be done. Major issue that I ran into is I need to replenish fuel often. Opening the lid gets the PBC hot. It doesn't take much for the PBC temp to jump.

I need to find good size logs.

I did 50/50 lump and preburnt chunks in WSM 14.5 and I loved the results.

Comment

Yeah, I'm just not thinking a PBC is geared toward proper wood burning. Maybe for a short cook like pork loin chops, steak, or chicken pieces, where you only need an hour or two max. But to try a longer cook like ribs or butts, just not gonna be realistic.

The beauty of charcoal is it's a measurable fuel source, and combined with the Minion method of slow release it's what the PBC is made for.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to get to work. I am planning to take a couple of old grills and curve them into arcs so I can load more charcoal onto the sides of my basket at an angle that will drop the fresh coals into the center as they burn down. I may even cut out the center, invert the center to point down so that the entire fire maintains the shape.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Karon Adams, sounds like a fun project. Please document with pics.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest, can you expound on the technique you used, specifically? I got that you pre-burnt the chunks, did you just use them to ignite the lump or did you pre-heat some lump chunks also? How long of a burn did you get? It looks like you cooked a back rib so I am guessing you got at least 4 hours. What temperature did you cook at?

In other words if you want to burn logs open that billfold up in getcha a good EOS

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        Might be worthwhile if the in-laws are in town. the only inlaws I liked are already gone to God. guess god sees the ones he wants, too....

Karon Adams These are good people, but they are a close family and mine is not. They don't find it odd to come here and stay for 4 days, my parents would worry about me if we ever wanted to stay overnight. A day of football and food is the limit for anyone on my side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis