Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amount of meat for group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amount of meat for group?

Smoking for a wedding group of app 60. How do you judge how much to cook? As of now i have 15LBs Boston Butt, 13LB Brisket and 5 slabs of ribs. Enough i hope?

Depends on a lot of factors such as time, age, sex, sides and appetizers. Pork shoulder is really cheap, if you have the capacity to cook it I would do another 10-15 just to be sure. I never want to run out and bbq leftovers are great.

Comment

I've read somewhere... I think in one of Meathead's articles that if you figure 6 to 8 ounces of meat per person you'll probably have leftovers. Don't forget kids love hamburgers and hot dogs. Their easy to please. I think you have plenty of meat for sixty people. Most ladies will not eat a half pound of meat. Some men will eat more than a half pound. Mean average... It all works out to 6 or 8 ounces per person.
      Last edited by Breadhead; March 19, 2015, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Dewayne I think the article Wartface is referring to is this one here.

In it he states some simple rules of thumb like plan on 1/2lb raw weight of meat per person (in addition to sides of course), unless the crowd would be all big eaters, like big hefty-appetite men (football practice) or something, then make it 1lb raw weight per person.

Allow for bones (ribs = roughly half bone weight)

It sounds like you have about ~35lbs meat precooked, and pre-trimmed?

1) I average your ribs at 2.5lb/rack, but often they're 3 - 3.5lbs from grocery stores (restaurants get the tiny ones since they sell them to us at a fixed price). Your ribs total roughly 12.5lbs (or more), but if they're half bones then you have roughly ~6 - 6.5lbs ribs meat there.

2) Brisket- 13lb. Is this after trimming, or have you not trimmed it yet? You could lose ~5 or 6lbs in fat cap once it's trimmed. To err on the side of safety let's say you trim it and it's now 8lbs of actual raw meat.

3) Pork butt- 15lbs - you may not need to trim anything from this. I usually do but if it's for a mass gathering I'd be less worried. Any obvious big gobs of fat should probably be removed though, since it won't all melt away and people will end up with a wad of fat on their sandwich and in their mouth. Yuck! So let's say you trim 2lb of surface fat wads of the butt. 13lbs raw pork butt.

You could be looking at as little as 28lbs raw meat, just under the recommended 1/2lb raw weight per person if there's 60. But...what if there ends up being 80?

You might be ok though, since weddings (at least the ones I've been to) are less about stuffing your face full and more about socializing and dancing. Hard to say though, you be the judge of that. Personally, I would be tempted to grab another 8 or 10lb pork butt and maybe another rack of ribs for good measure. Always better to send some off with guests than run short.

Good luck! (Maybe we can get pics of this fun fun time? )

Comment

Thanks for the help. I believe they're doing hamburgers as well but i'll find out. This will be happening next wknd, i'll post pics then. Thanks again!!
          Last edited by Dewayne; March 20, 2015, 04:47 AM. Reason: adding bit about pics.

Comment

Good advice from previous posts. A lot depends on the makeup of the group your serving and the final weights of the meats you are cooking. 15 lbs of pork butt may only be 7 or 8 pounds of finished product if the butts are bone in. You'll also probably lose some weight due to trimming. I agree to cook more than you think you'll need to be on the safe side. You wouldn't necessarily need to make extra for each type of meat, but I'd definitely want extra of one thing (pulled pork for me) in case you run out of any of the others.

Using your figures above and calculating about 50% loss due to cooking and the bones being removed you'll have about 7.5 lbs of pulled pork. That equates to 120 ounces. If you serve 6 oz servings you'll get 20 servings. If you serve 4 oz servings you'll get 30 servings, etc. Really depends on a lot of factors, but this will give you some perspective.

Please post any info you can, as I'm very interested in doing larger groups and would love to hear how it goes for you.

Comment

I am really interested in the outcome, too. I am also interested in providing for a larger group.

Comment

I've done pulled pork for larger groups on a number of occasions. In my experience a 15 pound butt (raw) will produce about 30 sandwiches. A lot of it will depend on the number of accompaniments and the collective appetite of your guests. I don't like baby backs reheated but I've found that brisket reheats well enough and it can go into soup or chili. Pulled pork reheats very well IMO; it may be just as good reheated.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis