Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you eat this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At $304 for an 8 oz steak, I'd have to see someone else's after cooking before I'd give it a go.

Comment

If someone else were to pick up the tab I'd try it, but I would never fork over my own money for one of those. Also, I agree with Lost In China that they are selling the prestige and the experience more than the food and flavor.

This article reminds me of a truly bizarre episode of Simply Ming that I watched recently. They sous vide and sear the wagyu, then serve tiny hunks of it with a bunch of odd ingredients including a beef broth that had gone through spherification in liquid nitrogen. To top it off, the plates were set on pillows full of pine vapor. I have no idea if any of the beef flavor was noticeable after all of that. If you need a good laugh sometime, check it out online:

Comment

• MattTheGR8
        MattTheGR8 commented
        Editing a comment
        The guest chef had some sort of vaporizer into which he placed some pine needles, then he collected the vapor in a plastic bag. Before eating, he punched some holes in the bag and set the plate on it; thereby adding pine scent to the dining "experience". Personally, I'd rather have my steak smell like meat than pine but apparently someone thinks this is a good idea. It definitely wasn't snake oil, but he could have gotten the same effect by garnishing the dish with Pine-Sol.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        MattTheGR8 Funny stuff man. The things the fancy folk do sometime makes me chuckle. But I suppose I can't knock it if I don't try it. and I promise you I won't try it.

• MattTheGR8
        MattTheGR8 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually thought that episode was hilarious. If you have 20 minutes to waste sometime click on the link and look for episode 1102.

Wow. I would NEVER buy that, but I'd take a bite for sure.

Comment

One of these days I'm going to try some Wagyu. haven't had a chance, yet, though I hear there are quite a few competition cooks who use it. if I am ever able to travel, again, I am hoping to go back to judging and maybe I'll have some there. Of course, at some point, I really have to buy some to make for myself.

Comment

Bristol Farms... A really high end grocery store in my area stocks Wagyu, Prime and Choice grade beef. They will cut it anyway you want it. They even stock course ground chuck steak that they say is 22% fat. That makes me think their head butcher might be a Meathead fan. I look at the Wagyu but... Since it's twice the price of the USDA Prime grade I don't bother with it. A 2" thick bone in, Prime grade ribeye, the Tomahawk cut is good enough for me.

My friend Mary is the national sales manager for one of the largest Upholstery factory's in the country. She and her boss took 2 buyers from a major department store chain out to dinner in NYC. They all ordered Wagyu steaks and they all agreed, especially her boss who picked up that tab that it was fun to say they had tried it but they prefer the taste and texture of a Prime grade of beef. Mary said that tab for 4 people was over $2000 which included wine and tip.

Comment

I'd definitely eat that if somebody else was buying

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis