Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you eat this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you eat this?

Everyone around here knows I like prime beef, but I'm not sure there's enough "beef" in this beef:

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-yor...teak-blt-prime

Thats some high priced beef lard right there.

Comment

Agreed. I really wonder how much beef flavor this has vs tasting like melted fat.

Comment

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder how big it would be after it was cooked?

I once had a $90 8 ounce Wagyu steak. It definitely tasted like a great steak. I wish I'd had a picture of it before it was cooked to get a sense of the marbling.

Comment

I like some marbling, but honestly that picture offends me. If I saw that at the store, I wouldn't even think it was steak.

Comment

To me, that piece of meat looks disgusting. I am all for marbling but too much of a good thing can actually be a bad thing.

Comment

Where's the BEEF??

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              CLASSIC! hehehehe

I would try to eat that, but thats me. The intramuscular fat melts when cooked, it doesnt sit there as blobs. I'd eat it any day over lean beef or overcooked beef.

Comment

I think most of us around here have cooked enough steak we know the fat melts... It's what is left of this steak after that happens that makes me raise an eyebrow. I definitely would like a bite, just to know what extreme marbling tastes like, but I'm guessing I wouldn't like it as much as a nice regular prime grade ribeye... regular prime... I just said that... lol

Comment

I'll just gnaw on the end of a couple bacon slices

Comment

It reminds me of some meat my wife improperly froze.

Comment

You don't need those expensive cuts when you got "dry brining" "reverse sear" "beef love" "fresh cracked black peppercorns" and if all that fails, just throw it in a Pit Barrel Cooker!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes I'd eat that. Maybe not a whole 8 ounce but yes I'd eat that.

Comment

I wouldn't take it home from the store. But if someone hosting a party cooked it, cut it up, and stuck toothpicks in it, I'd probably never realize what a spectacle I was making of myself at the hors d'oeuvres table.

Comment

Yeah, that's Japanese "steak" for you. As far as I can tell, it is chosen based on how it looks uncooked, not how it tastes. I used to see it on the shelves when I lived in Japan, expensive, too thinly sliced, and looking like peppermint candy. A nicely cut sirloin? Nowhere to be found.

One thing I've learned after going overseas is how much other cultures like to eat FAT. Me, I'm from Texas, I like the meat part. A bit of fat on the side, but that's all. But no, elsewhere there are dishes where they cut most of the meat off and just serve FAT. I mean, look at it, it's mostly fat with meat marbling. There is a big ol' eye of nothing but fat on one side.

With high-end eateries like this, it's not really about the taste, it's about the wonderful (bleh) pleasure of being special, and taking photos of your super-fine to share on social media. Of course you're going to say it tastes better than anything you've ever tasted before, because otherwise it would be a letdown and you'd have to admit to yourself you got suckered.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis