Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cffee & Beer and good news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cffee & Beer and good news

Hey guys! I have what I think is a little good news, I hope you do as well. HWMO has agreed to do a couple of videos for me on coffee roasting and brewing beer!! So, in the Spring and summer, We'll have those going for me. meanwhile, if some of the folks who do videos are willing, I'd love to talk to someone about audio. I am still trying to understand how and what software to make overdubs and put them in my videos. This is all new to me. I cook! But, anyway, I'm hoping to have things going soon.

I'll be making some bread into various styles of rolls today, cause HWMO wants more. we're nearly out. And, if you have never had Brioche last beyond the first day, I have to mention that they are delicious freshly made but, even better the next day after about 5 minutes in a 325 oven. on that day, the crust becomes even more delicate, crispy and flaky, and the butter in the recipe comes shining through. you don't need to butter this bread (though that just makes it more heavenly) because the butter is already there. HWMO has decided he prefers it in rolls (aka mini, personal loaves) which he then reheats. he likes them second day rather than fresh baked, as well.

What software are you using to edit the videos?

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Currently using a trial version of Adobe Premiere. the Geek Squad guy recommended it to me

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that's certainly a high end package! Basically what you do is record your audio using the PC and a microphone (the Windows audio recording app will work fine) and save the file(s). Then create a new audio track in Premiere and drop your audio files in the appropriate place on the new audio track.

Here's a link to how to do it all in Premiere: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Premiere...6EB2FB06a.html

If you don't have a PC microphone, then you can record your overdub with the video camera and create a new video and audio track in Premiere and put the new video on that track in the right place. Then delete new video track but leave the audio.

I do, actually. I have Dragon which I rarely use because it is as easy to type, (albeit badly) than to fuss with the program. but I also use it in what is likely a losing effort to learn Spanish with Rosetta Stone. That link was probably precisely what I need. I'll take a look, thank you. Looking at the video I shot, the light is bad, I sound preoccupied (which I really was) and there is a lot of footage that can easily cut as it is just the tedious business of rolling out dough. So, some cuts to keep from becoming monotonous, some freeze frames to over write text for recipes, and voice overs for the sound, then something for an intro and outro. This is more production work than I have done since I left Radio in college! Thank you, this link will help a LOT.

Comment

What coffee roaster do you use?

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        He has a Beymor 1600. it is a drum roaster I bought him for Christmas. then, for Father's Day, I bought him a Kitchen Aid grinder. FAR superior to the little electric grinders. Those are no good at all for coffee. they are far more suited to use as a spice grinder. The ones sold as coffee grinders make an uneven grind and impart a lot of static electricity to the coffee. the burr grinder gives him precisely the grind he wants and prefers.

I can't stand the stuff, myself and it stinks even more when roasting than it does when brewing. so, he roasts in the garage.

But, in all honesty, learning to roast and buying your beans green is actually less expensive and even buying cheap coffee in the grocery. Not to mention freshness. Denver says the outgassing begins, of course, as soon as the roast is finished. the flavor peaks 3 days after roasting and then starts coasting down. he tends to roast once a week. Then, he fresh grinds a cup at a time and uses an AeroPress to brew.

But, once you have all the equipment, it will all lead to a much less expensive brew. Even with high end equipment. The beans, while green, will keep nearly indefinitely. They don't go off, at ALL until roasted. so, you have consistently fresh coffee. and he enjoys tasting and drinking from all over the world. he says he tends to prefer the African coffees more than the South American.

• carolts
        carolts commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a GeneCafe for my roasting. I generally roast out on the deck or porch but set the roaster on the stove and use the vent hood if the weather's really bad. My taste runs toward South American coffees, particularly Guatemala. I got two pounds of Kona beans for Christmas...best present ever! I generally buy from either Sweet Maria's or Burman's, but have been known to pick up a pound or two of green beans from the local Whole Foods.

I too roast once a week. My husband says it smells like somebody's burning toast... After cooling it goes into stainless canisters with one-way valves so it can outgas in peace.

For mornings we use a burr grinder and drip coffee maker. I use either an aero press or pour-over for single cups. For a large crowd I make Toddy cold-brew concentrate and use that to make both iced and hot as needed.

I'll never go back to store-bought!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis