Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone used cherry wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone used cherry wood?

I had a cherry tree in my back yard that was pretty much done... In bad weather this past spring it came down harmlessly in my back yard ( I have a large lot). After some goading by my better half, I rented a chain saw I and dissected it. It so happens that there is a lot of good combustible wood I've recovered... I'm wondering if this stuff would be a good smoke agent... What are opinions on using cherry for smoking? Otherwise it'll be the wood stove come winter.

cherry is my FAVORITE...especially with fish......many pro's use it for the color it gives brisket and what not.

Comment

Yes, I've use cherry too. It does bring more color and good flavor.

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks! I've probably got around 3-500 lbs of usable wood!

Comment

Agree with the others. Cherry is great, very popular. Try to use solid non-spongy chunks.
          Cherry makes a really deep dark color.

Comment

Agree with the other posts about flavor and color from cherry very nice for smoking. And second Aaron's comment about spongy wood, use the driest wood possible till it's had a chance to cure and loose most of it's moisture.

Comment

Thanks for the insights! You always hear about mesquite, apple, and hickory but ive not heard much about cherry. The tree had been dead for a while but the core is fairly sold ( nice loud knock when hitting pieces together). All the punky stuff is on the outside and easy to scrape off with a hatchet or buck knife... The large parts will take some time to season for sure.

The best part almost was using the chainsaw to dismember the tree!! But I think it will really come once this stuff dries out.

Comment

JPP if you have a way of splitting the pieces so much the better. Even smaller ones. They can be useable in a month or two if you split them. Many times hardware stores or rental places have wood splitters, beats the splitting maul method. I cut an apple tree down and was using the pieces in 3 or 4 weeks after splitting them. FWIW.

Comment

all fruit and nut wood is great. I use cherry and oak all the time. Let the skinny branches dry get rid of the leaves, excellent for throwing under the coals for a light smoke when grilling.

Comment

Cherry is especially good for poultry. Tastes great and turns the skin a rich brown. I also mix it with other woods like oak for beef or with hickory for pig meat.

Comment

Excellent for Prime Rib!

Comment

Cherry + beef = nom nom
                        I use cherry exclusively, pecan second

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                          Cherry + beef = nom nom I use cherry exclusively, pecan second
                          a buddy of mine that ran a restaurant here in central MI used to use pecan then switched to cherry out of availability, said it was a good move. You're not alone. Pecan is like hickory, cherry is arguably it's own thing.

Comment

A friend gave me a big bag of corncobs... I know some have used these for a smoking agent as well. This fellow likes to use them for hot smoked salmon, but I've yet to try that... Opinions?

Comment

I really like it on chicken, and small cuts of pork, chops, country ribs, and roasts too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              Rubs Promo
                              Meat-Up in Memphis