Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scot or Irish Meat Pies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scot or Irish Meat Pies

Have any of you ever eaten or made these? When we were doing the Highland games on many and varied occasions (and one of them was the time I took a Viscount and his Vicountess to Waffle House for breakfast). One of my all time favorite parts of the Highland Games is the Meat Pies. traditional Scots fare. You find them, apparently, in just about every bakery in Scotland. they are also a mainstay at the Football games. most times, selling out by mid game. they are called, sometimes, hand pies. Made in a hot pastry crust, most bakers make the crust on one day, and fill & bake the next day. that is supposed to give it a much more crunchy texture while providing a sturdy vessel in which to bake and eat your pie.

I bring it here because it is one of the ways that people in the Scottish Highlands and the Irish Isles use to finish off leftovers or use small mounts of meats form trimmings of larger cuts (which go to the nobility) and it only makes sense that leftover BBQ would be an excellent filling for this little pie.

I would chop up the pork (after it has been pulled), and any other meats you have that could be tossed in. mix it all together without sauce. Stuff the pie shell, put on the lid and open a hole for steam. once the pie has baked, many people use a pork gelatin, usually made with a trotter, pour it into the steam hole while hot and the gelatin will fill in around the meat inside the pie. you could add some of your rub spice to the meat mix and even into the gelatin pot.

if you don't intend to eat them immediately, put unbaked pies in the fridge to let the gelatin set up. then you can freeze them if you aren't going to eat right away. they freeze well. pull them out, bake them off. depending on what spices you used, you can use either the traditional Brown Sauce (which is VERY yummy) or, if you have used your rub spices or put a rub on your pork (some people don't, go figure), then you can use your BBQ sauce with the meat pie.

Again, this is one of the things I intend to do with a video. I'll let you guys know when I do. Still researching how my camera works. I'm going to make the Brioche Bread we have all been discussing as my first video.

Remember, Cooking is a Sacred Endeavor
    Enjoy!

My wife competes in Highland games in the southeast. She isn't very good because she doesn't weigh 350 lbs. like some the girls (mass moves mass) but she has a lot of fun. I will ask her to get some recipes.

Comment

WOW! Does she do the haggis toss? that is one of he few athletics the women compete in down here. HWMO always brought about 20 gallons of homebrew and he would set up at the back of our tent. I brought my spinning wheel and sat in front of our tent doing spinning demonstrations. I can't remember how many people have stopped, asked questions, then taken pictures. W had a ball. it is a great way to raise kidlets.

This is an older and a favorite pic of HWMO and myself. Everything I'm wearing, I made and Denver's Kilt hose I designed, spun and knit. Back in the day, I made a custom pair of kilt hose for each of the men in our House (those who were regulars, anyway) it was, I think, 8 men. each one had a unique design. Denver's Kilt Hose are a smaller version of the Aran design I created for the sweater I designed, spun and knit for him.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        The events that in the usual Highland games are the sheaf toss, light weight for distance, heavy weight for distance, weight over bar, hammer toss, and the popular caber toss. She hasn't heard of the Haggis toss.
        Great pic! I own two kilts myself

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. All of those are strictly Men's events down here. they do Haggis Toss for the women and, at the end of the day, the Kilted Mile runs and ends in the main parade field while the Clans are all out to Parade the Tartan. it is nearly the ceremonial end of the games. all the awards are given, including the Tent Spirit Award which our House of Gordon won three times before we stepped back and v9oluntarily disqualified ourselves.

That award was based on the amount of cultural things our members do. so this was where we kilted Denver's beer, my kilt hose and spinning, Our convener's wife is our genealogist, we had a couple of athletes, some sword guys and my daughter's participation in Highland Dance. IT was really great!

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        The women's weight are lighter than the men's weight. The caber, for example, is 75-90 lbs. where the men's caber is around 150 lbs.

I love any meat pie. Steak and kidney, cornish pasties etc.
      Pulled Pork

PBC chicken pies, vacuum sealed and frozen

sneak in some sausage rolls too

I call these Netflix accoutrements

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love "hand pies"

Comment

OH! WOW! Those are BEAUTIMOUS!!!

Comment

You had me at "Neflix accoutrements", Ernest.

Kathryn

Comment

BTW, an acquaintance just made some meat pies with hot water crust pastry. Said they were great.

Kathryn

Comment

how's about some recipes cuz these look and sound great

Comment

Papa Bob, the link I posted in my earlier comment here takes you to a recipe for the dough and the recipes for 2 pies. Of course using pulled pork or pulled beef in those pies would be awesome IMO.

I'm with you, though. I'd love Ernest's recipes or the link to the site that Karon is investigating.

Kathryn

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn't really hitting a site, though I do see Hot Pastry on several recipe sites. I REALLY like Allrecipes. they have a set up so you can assemble your own 'recipe box'. you can put recipes from their site in the box or your own recipes which you can choose to share publicly or just keep in your box. I have a box to which my family members have the password. it is a GREAT way to pass on family recipes. Many of them from one or the other grandmother. my cousins all know where to find them so they can grab the family recipes when they need them, as do my kidlets. I am also a HUGE fan of fine Cooking. their magazines always challenge and inspire. they have a recipe box feature as well

I sent the editors my Dirty Sugar technique and she really liked it. plans to publish it in the summer as well as my method of drying potatoes in the washing machine for potato chips. those will be published at an EXCELLENT time for me, as I hope to have several recipe videos online by then. a magazine like that with a link can drive a LOT of traffic.

meanwhile, Cook's Illustrated is marvelous for product evaluation. Cookware and such. actually, now that I think about it, I think Mother's day is going to be an All Clad Saucier. that will be DIVINE! I have been dropping a few hints but if any of you want to give HWMO a call and nudge him for me, I'd be grateful! ;-)

I'm planning on making a batch of pie dough so I'll post a recipe with pictures.
                That hot water dough got me thinking about using up leftover brisket. Should be sturdy enough to handle it.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hot water dough has the reputation of being really easy to make and with which to work. Here is a site I found that looks promising indeed. the writer is Irish, so she knows from whence she speaks. and she has some fantastic recipes as well as some wonderful tricks on old favorites. This is the hot pastry I intend to make today.

We cooked off a trotter all day yesterday, so that should give me some lovely pork gelatin to go into my finished pies. Now, I just need to send HWMO to the store to bring me home some Brown sauce. ALWAYS have to have Brown Sauce!

The Meat Pies in the style I like ask that the pastry cups be made and shaped, then set out overnight to dry. that is supposed to help create that crunch from the first bite. So, I hope to make my first test batch of them over the weekend, then make my pies this week. HWMO pulled out a meatloaf that I made last week. We had enough for two good sized loaves so we froze and sealed on. He wants that for dinner so that makes my life easier.

Anyway, here is the website and I'll post the recipe for the crust here as well
                  http://gourmetdough.com/pastry/how-t...r-crust-pastry

on her site, she has several pictures to help as you go through the process. but here is the pastry recipe.

Ingredients

500 g flour
                  200 ml water
                  120 g butter
                  70 g lard
                  1 level teaspoon salt

Method
                  1.Place the flour into a large bowl and set aside.
                  2.Place the water, butter, lard and salt into a saucepan and heat over a medium heat, stirring as the fat melts. Once it comes to the boil, take the pan off the heat and pour it the bowl with the flour.
                  3.Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave to rest and cool for 1 hour.
                  4.After 1 hour, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and flatten into a rectangle.
                  5. Fold the dough into thirds by taking one side of the dough into the centre and pressing down with your fingers.
                  6.Then lift up the other side of the dough and bring it over the top. Press down again with your fingers.
                  7.Flatten the dough out again into a rough rectangle and repeat the same process once more.
                  8.Flatten the dough into a rectangle and place onto a baking tray. Cover it with clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
                  9.The dough is then ready to be rolled out and used in your preferred recipe.

Well, hot water pastry has just become a standard. SUPER easy! I can't believe I have never done this, before. when I started mixing I immediately realized why it works SO beautifully. the hot boiling water and oils hop in with the flour and immediately begin exploding those starches, the way we do when making a gravy (the béchamel that intimidated me so much in the beginning). The only thing, though, you aren't toasting the starch as you do in a béchamel or gravy, but you are exploding their molecule and making that starch gelatin. you also have the oils in there to keep the gelatins form completely seizing up the way starches can once gelatinized.

I didn't video this recipe because I wanted to try it first (and, my kitchen is a wreck which is typical on a weekend!) But, now that it is cooling, I know I'll be making quite a few pies tomorrow. I'll set up the cups today and take a tip from a famed Scots baker and set them out, overnight, to dry so they'll take the meat with more strength.

Then, I'll make a fresh half batch of dough for lids (again, from a Scot's baker) and fill them, bake them off, then, pour in a bit of the gelatin made from the pig's foot that simmered on the stove, all day yesterday.

For those who make bacon and have skin when you buy your bellies, after you do the boil of the skin for the cracklins, that water is the same gelatin that can be used beautifully, for these pies. I may, too, next time, instead of using straight on lard, I'll try using bacon fat for flavor. some sausage fat would be nice, too as to would carry all those lovely spices right into the shell. then, use the same sausage in the filling.

Have any of our chem people or chef people thought about smoking lard? taking it, in a pan, and placing it in the smoker while cooking, to pull smoke into the lard, then, rechilling it for later cooking? with a little salt, you care just a step from bacon grease but, at the very least, you do have smoke in the lard. I may try that next time we cook (which will likely be not next weekend but the weekend after. we'll have bacon cured to be smoked. that is now my BEST excuse to get to smoke on a semi-regular basis.

So, since the dough looks so lovely, I'll try to video the shaping of the cases tonight, then, tomorrow, filling, topping and baking. This is going to make quite a few pies, so that means we'll have a good many in the freezer. I do like freezing off the cooks in vacuum bags and bringing them out when I want to eat. we are eating meatloaf, tonight, that was half a recipe I made a couple of weeks ago. HWMO loves meat loaf. Go figure. When we met, he would not lower himself to eat bologna and considered hot dogs just rolled up bologna. but he LOVED scrapple. tell me how THAT makes sense?

Comment

Okey Doke, dear my friends! Here are the Hot Water Pastry shells set out to dry for tomorrow. I still have about 1/3 of the dough, reserved for lids, tomorrow. I formed them on Tuna cans. Nice diameter wide and shallow and straight sided. the pastry doesn't sit up alone, just now, so they will dry over the cans. some are empty (HWMO has strict orders to NOT throw the cans away!) some still full of tuna. it will be quite yummy. instead of brushing butter on the parchment, I brushed bacon grease on the parchment. just a touch of that lovely flavor. tomorrow I will make the filling with ground pork, ground beef, chopped bacon and anchovies. That along with a few spices, salt and pepper and we are ready to go. Once baked off, I'll pour in just a touch of the trotter gelatin and allow to cool. HWMO is picking up some brown sauce today.

Also, the White Chocolate is in the oven roasting right now to make Panna Cotta tonight for later in the week! it will be a very nice week, indeed, food wise.

And, HWMO did a very nice thing, yesterday. he made me a goodly sized batch of potato chips. Makes him worth all the effort of training him! It really was sweet. tomorrow, I'll be making more Brioche for him. My traditional Brioche pans should be here tomorrow. Click image for larger version

Name:	Shells for Meat Pies.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	71530

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis