Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Weber Ranch Kettle a Dumb Product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Weber Ranch Kettle a Dumb Product?

Since this subject isn't about technique I thought it was more appropriate as a general discussion issue than a sub-forum issue.

I used to lust after the Ranch Kettle. But my views on it have changed. It's really big and I guess that sort of makes it really cool. But upon taking a more rational view of it I am not sure it makes sense. It has just over 1100 square inches of cooking surface. A pair of OTG 26.5" kettles combine for just over 1000 square inches of cooking surface side-by-side. The Ranch Kettle costs $1200 and a pair of OTG 26.5 combine for $600 out of pocket (going by current Amazon prices). In addition, removing the ash from the Ranch Kettle is reportedly a pain in the rear whereas I know from personal experience that ash removal in a OTG is a piece of cake.

Am I missing something? Does the Ranch Kettle justify it's price?

Jeff I bought a ranch for one of our office that does a cook out once a moth in the summer. Its used to turn a group of 75-100 in 45 to 60 min. just burgers and dogs kind of stuff. . It's not all that difficult to clean and it was much harder for someone to "borrow" it from the office. Theres also some value in the coolness of it IMHO

Is the price justified? Thats hard to say. If your not cooking for masses/commercially probably not. If you are its a great grill to work.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      How many chimneys are needed for it?

Great point on using two 26"ers. Much more cost effective. I bet it's the manufacturing process to make one that big that is the reason for the high cost. Equally so I find it interesting how the 22" costs $150 and the 26" is double that.

Using your logic, a person could buy 3 22"ers for $450 and have nearly 1200 sq inches. Each a different color. Tell me THAT isn't cool!

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point. I've seen the price of the 26 pooh-poohed because a pair of 22's can be had for the same price.

I stopped in the local hardware store this afternoon. They have an entire aisle and front area that is nothing but Weber products. I picked up a bag of hickory chunks and a bag of apple chunks. They had the 26 so I decided to give it a closer look. That this is BIG and MAN does it have a heavy lid. This suggests to me that the entire unit is forged with thicker steel. If that's the case it probably retains heat better than the 22 and is probably a better cooker on cold days.

Comment

Sometimes the price of these things includes the "cool factor". I bet it is a great backyard conversation piece.
      I'm looking forward to the day when Weber cranks out a WSM 26.5 or maybe even a WSM RANCH

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, those would basically be walk-in smokers.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen some pining for a WSM 26.5 but I never even considered a WSM ranch. That would be enourmous. Heck a 26.5 WSM would be awfully big.

Never heard of it so I looked, pretty cool to be able to do whole hog on a kettle...

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        That definitely increases its value. Can't do a whole hog on 3 different colored 22's.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis