Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nathan Myhrvold: Smoke+Sous Vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nathan Myhrvold: Smoke+Sous Vide?

I was just reading an article in the Austin American Statesman about Nathan Myhrvold, the renowned chef and author of the $500, 2,000+ page tome Modernist Cuisine.

They linked to an article on "the stall" which reaches the same conclusions as what our own experts here at AmazingRibs found.

What really caught my eye however was this section at the end of the article:
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    Sous vide cooking is, in our opinion, by far the best way to achieve the perfect cooking rate necessary for great barbecue. We barbecued in two distinct steps: smoking to impart the smoke flavor, followed by sous vide cooking to achieve the optimum texture and doneness.
    Smoking before a long sous vide cooking step has the advantage of proteins remaining intact and able to react readily with smoke. Smoked food continues to change while being cooked sous vide: its pellicle darkens, the rind becomes firmer, and the smoky flavor mellows.
    The alternative, of course, is to smoke the food after cooking it sous vide. This also works well, but a longer smoking time is required to develop a robust smoked flavor and appearance. This is because precooking denatures a large fraction of the proteins in a cut of meat or a piece of seafood, which leaves the flesh less reactive to the smoke.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Has anyone here tried this or had barbecue prepare this way? I've seen some talk here about Sous vide, but not in conjunction with a separate smoke.

Given Myhrvold's reputation, I'm curious if he's really on to something here.

Statesman article here

Comment

I posted a sous vide then smoked ribs thread here somewhere. Works really well

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...dness-gracious

Comment

Nathan Myhrvold's, Modernist Cuisine, is an awesome guide to cooking. My Son bought me that set of beautiful books when they first came out for a Christmas present. I'll reference that information tonight when I get home.

Comment

If you're willing to put in the extra work (and time) the combo can be amazing. See the thread Ernest mentioned for one of the prior discussions we had on this topic. Personally, while I've been experimenting with sous-vide + smoke for years, I normally don't do my 'cue that way, as I've decided I like the traditional "bite" that dry-cooked ribs have (for example) more than the softer texture an initial sous-vide cook gives you. I do use Meathead's reverse sear when cooking sous-vide, though (http://sousvide.org)

Comment

Any idea how brisket turns out with this method? Is it even possible? I had no idea it took so long to complete the sous vide phase.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Sous vide is like a loooog low and slow cook... It's a lot of waiting but very little work. Planning is the key.

My best beef short ribs were done sous vide. I bet you brisket should be very possible.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis