Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-treme Cooking Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLBuckeye
    replied
    I use a cooking log too but pretty much just for the meat temp. I use a PartyQ and it keeps temps rock steady at 225 or whatever I have it set to. When my PartyQ was being repaired, and before my new one arrived, my WSM kept within 223 to 235 for 10 hours straight.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, that would be a killer rig :-)

• Medusa
    replied
    Here's the Chuck that I did on 5/24. Ran the exhaust Full the entire cook; jacked the intake a few times to try the break the Stall and finally to "git er done". The chart only shows the time that the probe was inserted; does not include smoking time and time to get the fuse lit. Weather temp was in 60's, so it only took 35 minutes for the cooker to come up to 225.

--Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck_Chart.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	87122

Leave a comment:

• (Stephen)
    replied
    I wonder if there's an app for this purpose, as I have no idea how to modify or use excel. Would be super fantastic if the wireless thermometers could input their data a pretermines times into such an app. Even better if a smoker like many of the modern pellet cookers with digital controls had the ability to input all the variables they control. The technology to do lots of things is there, just need someone to make the app, and integrate the hardware and software. I know that would be worth me spending extra on.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied
    Thanks fzxdoc !

Now I'm really motivated to go back to fix the Chuck Roast chart and also standardize the data entry for the vents to numeric vs. text ( 25 vs. 1/4, 50 vs. 1/2, etc.). Might look into creating a chart template...

"... I do refer to those graphs, though, for future cooks. They're really handy. I can tell at a glance what to expect with the different meats I have cooked."

Exactly. Plus, these can become a reference tool for anyone that is going to do a 1st time cook on 22.5 Weber OTS.

--Ed

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    Stephen, I believe you are correct. I'm still learning how minimize the number of changes in vent settings. I filled a 8 1/2 pie tin with water, centered below the brisket inside a Vortex. Had to refill the pan once. When the temp spiked @ 266, I popped the cover and also realized the temp probe was pretty close to the lit part of the fuse. ( I suspect that using a 2 x 2 fuse around the Vortex is what keeps the temp changes minimal when adjusting vents ).

Outdoor temp was in the 30's when I put the brisket on and reached low 50's by the end of the cook.

The Chuck Roast was a little different, and I need to redo the chart to include the vent settings. I ran the intake @ 1/4 and the exhaust Full for 2 hr 49 min with an avg temp around 230. Used a 3 cup water pan and followed the fuse around the Vortex.

I think that 225-230's can be maintained at the above settings, and a constant 250 would require the intake @ 1/2 and the exhaust Full.

--Ed

Picture is worth a 1000 words - LOL!

--Ed

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I like your Excel graphs, Medusa. I plot mine out by hand as I record them on Meathead's Log form (also modified to suit my needs). I feel like a high school kid back in the day, plotting points on Cartesian coordinate graph paper with colored pencils. I'm too lazy to re-enter the temp data into my desktop PC's Excel at the end of the cook; doing it real time would involve running up/down the steps to/from my home office.

I do refer to those graphs, though, for future cooks. They're really handy. I can tell at a glance what to expect with the different meats I have cooked.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• (Stephen)
    replied
    Unless I'm reading your data wrong, it appears that the air inlet and exhaust settings did not have the large effect I would have expected in temps.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied
    Here's another version that shows Cooker Temp, Intake, Exhaust, & Meat Temp. I find this most informative, and that 39 data points will fill up the laptop screen. I did a similar one for last week's Chuck Roast (3.19 lb), but @ 60+ data points it's way too big to view without scrolling. BTW, the Chuck Roast stalled for 2 hr 40 min. Came out great, though!

--Ed

Name:	Full_Chart_053015.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	86262

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Sweet man!!!

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    started a topic X-treme Cooking Log

X-treme Cooking Log

Hi Everyone!

I've been a strong advocate of MH's Cooking Log since I 1st joined. Downloaded the Excel spreadsheet and modified it as needed. Don't cook without it!

Just for S&G, I was curious if I could create a graph or chart with the data points I recorded. Below is the "graph" of my 9 hour Brisket cook.

Vertical Axis = Cooker Temp ( 0 - 300 )
    Horizontal Axis = Recorded times from beginning to end

Blue Bar = Cooker Temp
    Green Bar = Intake setting : 100 = Full, 50 = 1/2 , 25 = 1/4 ( note that numbers are omitted, visual good enough )
    Red Bar = Exhaust setting : Same as Intake
    Yellow Bar = significant event to where temp dropped, i.e., move probe, check water, fuse burning out!

Quite informative... don't know if I will do this for every cook, but now I know how. Really shows the cook "at a glance"

--Ed

Name:	Brisket_022815_Graph.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	69626

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis