Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Pancakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Pancakes

I saw this in an e-mail over the weekend. I'm sure some folks here have tried it but I thought it was worth mentioning. Bacon Pancakes. cook the bacon strips, lay them on your griddle and pour pancake batter over the slice of (already cooked) bacon. cook as a normal but elongated pancake. serve with a jar or ramekin of syrup as dip stickers.

Reminds me of my favorite heart attack on a plate breakfast at Uncle Bill's Pancake House in Manhattan Beach, CA. Either french toast with bacon and then melted cheddar or better yet the waffles where the bacon and cheddar cheese are placed in the waffle iron with the batter. Damn, I miss that place

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      Just curious if you have eaten at M.B. Post in Manhattan Beach. I belong to an Ohio State forum and one of the "insiders" is an owner of M.B. Post. Have heard it is a good place to eat

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      FLBuckeye - I left the area just over 3 years ago, but don't recall MB Post. Wartface might, as he lives just "next door" in Hermosa Beach.

One of our favorite things is Corned Beef. we haven't done our own corning, yet because it is actually less expensive to buy one already done than to buy the brisket and do it ourselves. of course, bacon from the grocer is actually less expensive than the pork bellies we use to make our own but, at least, the pork bellies we use have a better meat to fat ratio than the best mass produced brands.

Anyway, we cook it in a crock pot with enough water to braise, not boil. after dinner, we always put the left overs in the fridge and slice it cold, across the grain. from that, we make Reubens. As an experiment, I took down the Belgian Waffle Iron and used it. I put my drained Sauerkraut on a paper towel on a plate and put the cut leftover beef on the same plate, pop them in the microwave for about a minute. enough to warm them through and start the steam leaving the kraut.

I build this sandwich either already ON a wide spatula or with a wide one sitting by. don't put it on the waffle iron by hand, too easy to burn yourself.

butter one slice of bread, very liberally with melted butter.
    Spread your meat on the unbuttered side of the bread.
    Spread sauerkraut over the meat
    add sliced swiss cheese. this is going to melt completely and become goo, so think less. it doesn't really take much cheese. too much will run out on your iron, burn and be wasted. don't waste the cheese!
    Liberally butter the second slice of bread and put it, butter side out, on the sandwich.

With a spatula, transfer the sandwich to the waffle Iron and close the lid. the sandwich is WAY too thick to close the lid entirely, at this point. also, the lid will try to push the top layer of bread off the sandwich towards the side of the Iron opposite the hinge. use your spatula to hold that top slice in place until the lid is down enough to do the job for you.

Now, you have to be careful and patient. NOTHING really hurts as much as a pressure steam burn. it is NASTY painful. Your waffle iron will be generating a lot of steam doing this so be careful about where you place your hands. press the lid down until the handles meet. they may not press far enough to latch, but that is OK. and just wait and watch. in a short time, you'll see the juices running off the iron (I put a layer of paper towels or a regular towel under the iron to keep it from running all over the counter.) Just keep pressure on it while it cooks. It should only take 2-4 minutes to completely cook. start opening about 2+ minutes in. when the bread (which, at this point has ceased to look like a slice of bread, anymore) is GBD, you are done.

I go back to my wide spatula, here. Open the waffle iron lid and put a corner of the spatula under the corner of the sandwich to make sure the edges and corners are free and less likely to stick. Next, turn the spatula over so that the top face of the spatula is laying down on top of the sandwich. Very quickly and carefully (easier to do with a helper) close the lid on sandwich & spatula, together and flip them over, together, with the spatula trapped between the sandwich and the lid. Once flipped, carefully lift the bottom face of the waffle iron, (which is now on top). be careful that the sandwich falls onto the spatula and doesn't go to pieces. open slowly and be standing by with a fork handy to loosen bits of cheese or brad that is stuck in the crevasses.

Transfer to a plate, put the mustard of choice on the plate, in a ramekin or just take the whole container to the table with you.

Enjoy!!

Comment

Bacon pancakes sounds like one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' things. I bet my kids would think they had gone to heaven.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        similar to French Toast Sticks. Kidlets LOVE anything they can dunk!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis