Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too much moisture in a cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much moisture in a cook?

Does any one have any thoughts on how much is too much when it comes to moisture in a cooking chamber?
    I am in the process of "getting to know" a new pit I built and after a couple of test firings, I find that I have condensation dripping from the exhaust ports. Ambient temps have been in the 40's with interior temp held at plus/minus 225. Anywhere there was "a leak", there was significant accumulation of moisture.
    My plan is to cover a portion of the water pan to limit exposure and possibly reduce evaporation rate.
    Weather is gettin' better and it's time to get serious before I am forced to go fishing.
    Thanks

Anytime it drips it's too much, simply because that can ruin your food. What are you burning? If it's wood, perhaps you have some moist wood? You could try eliminating the water pan altogether.

Comment

Burning charcoal (regular Kingsford). Had 3-4 chunks of hickory on, but they were pre-packaged and dry as a bone.
      The water pan is about 10"x15"x3" and it is located directly above the inlet from the firebox below. I suspected that water dripping was not a good sign. Perhaps I will place it on top of a heat-sink (1/2" steel plate) rather than in the direct stream of incoming heat. Temp today is about 60, so if I get the same result, I will know that I got carried away with the water pan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis