Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qustion for the food science guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karon Adams
    replied
    Has anyone thought about making sauce from purchased lard? or even lard you have rendered yourself? (and by that I mean large amounts of lard, rendered for that purpose, not the drippings for cooking, either on the smoker or the skillet) I can see starting the sauce with butter or vegetable oil as a starting point, but could you use lard in the same way? Would that effect longevity at all? I know I am making things complicated but I am actually trying to simplify a little. I would love to be able to have more sauce than I can make from a regular cook for other purposes. HWMO loves my sauce on meatloaf among other things, and as a part of the recipe for Brunswick stew. typically, I have enough drippings from a cook to make enough sauce for that cook. And then there is the idea of sharing my sauce with neighbors.

I don't mean to be a pain, just trying to work it out for future use.

Crème Brulee French Toast for breakfast, Making more plain rolls as well as White Chocolate Cherry buns today, then putting together a Cherry pie for tonight's dinner. We'll probably still be eating the BBQ from yesterday's cook.

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. rancid oil of any kind is truly AWFUL! and nearly anything can cause it to happen. When we moved back to Chattanooga from Atlanta, I had a real problem with rancidity! When I made soap in Atlanta, I just used tap water. but, when I came here and used tap water, my soap went rancid before it even had time to finish saponifying. Orange spots on the soap and an awful smell! I soon realized it was the water. just the difference in water chem from here to Atlanta. I had to go to distilled water for soap making, after that.

As for the sauce, I think I'll take your advice on all this and simply freeze it. it isn't like I don't have a huge chest freezer in the garage. right now, it is full of bee hives but, in a few weeks, those will be evacuated and I'll have my freezer back! We'll be jarring up sauce next time an popping it into the freezer. Of course, we could can it. We have all the equipment needed for pressure canning but the freezer is so much a simpler process.

Thanks for all the input!

• Meathead
    replied
    I would steer clear of the Prague powder, it is primarily an anti botulism additive and when chilled there's little bot risk. I think freezing is the way to go. The enemy is rancidity, which is mostly an oxidation process, not bacteria, and that happens much more slowly in the freezer. You can preserve it by using sterile canning methods, but canning meat products is a lot different than jams and veggies. The Ball website has best practices.

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    That is probably what I'll end up doing but I'll add some prague 1 as well for safety's sake. We do have a pressure canner, so this is doable. I may just can them in pint jars for use at later dates or even to give as gifts. Thanks for the reminder about pressure canning. I and simply never thought of that, though I have done a little pressure canning but not much.

• Mosca
    replied
    I did a quick lookabout and found this: Preserving meats without refrigeration

Generally, normal canning/preserving doesn't get hot enough to kill meat-born pathogens, you need to use a pressure cooker and get the temp to the 240*-250* range.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    I have no experience with this, but what about using typical canning and preserving techniques? Heat the sauce to boiling, sterilize a Mason jar, fill, cap, and cool. Jams and jellies keep for at least a year that way, I don't see that having animal products would change that.

If you do go with freezing, use a vacuum sealer if you don't already have one. That improves results by an order of magnitude.

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    yes, that is my fall back position. but I was hoping I could bottle it and keep in the fridge. HWMO put some sauce from the last cook on his leftover meat loaf, last night. I did not feel well, so we did leftovers from the night before. We'll probably nibble on pork today. I don't think I'll be doing much cooking, today. unless those White Chocolate Cherry bread evaporates. I'm really not certain what happens. for some reason, every time I make it, I turn around and it has just wafted away!

What are you looking at??? Quit staring at my backside. The expansion in that area has absolutely NOTHING to do with the disappearance of the White Chocolate Cherry bread! Pay no attention to my current jean size! SOME people. I'm not getting fat

But just look at the yumminess!

• mgaretz
    replied
    Why not freeze some?

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    started a topic Qustion for the food science guys

Qustion for the food science guys

Hi guys! I have been trying to find ways to preserve my sauce beyond the one week window. I wondered if including some of the Prague Powder in the sauce pot might work?

A word of info for those who didn't see my treatises on nothing outside the pit! I make my sauce from the drippings and fond from the cook. I get smoke, umami and the same spices, cooked spices, which are in my meat. I don't have to worry about whether a particular brand of sauce will taste right on my hunk-o-beast since the sauces are in the drippings, cooked. I can add more of the rub mixture if needed but I will always take a touch of the drippings and cook off those spices in the drippings to make them all taste cooked.

So, question, given that sauce made in this manner goes rancid within just a few weeks in the fridge. When I have enough sauce to have extra, my sauce is SO good on other things. HWMO put it on his leftover meat loaf last night. Can I add Prague Powder to instroduce the nitrates? would that give me some holding power and under refrigeration, allow the sauce to last longer?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis