Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

Your First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karon Adams
    Charter Member
    • Feb 2015
    • Chattanooga TN
    • Karon Adams
      Consort of the Flame
      Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour
      Big Poppa's Drum conversion
      Maverick wireless meat & grill thermometers
      Thermopen Instant Read Thermometer
      Pit IQ blower

Your First Time

What is the first REAL cooking you have done? The first time you cooked solo, generally, when you were on your own? I did a lot of cook's assistant to my mother & grandmothers and, when I was in my teens, my mom worked 2nd shift at the hospital so I did most of the cooking. back then, my parents bought nearly everything in a can. it wasn't very appetizing but you ate what you were given! My mom wasn't really much of a cook and still isn't.

For myself, I purchased my first house when I was 22. When I say purchase, I mean it was kind of given to me. it belonged to a dear friend and business partner of my dad's. Rick was my dad's friend. his brother had owned and lived in the house. the brother was a severe alcoholic. that eventually led him to a heart attack and death. because of his Grief, Rick could barely stand to talk about the house, much less put much work into it or keep it. When he heard I was looking for an apartment, he and his wife offered me the house.

A non-qualifying assumable loan (try finding one of THOSE, these days) with PITI payments that were about half the rent on studio apartments I had toured.

So, yep, I bought it. In that kitchen, I make the standby, spaghetti sauce from scratch, the way my mom did. from there on, it was a learning curve. I had to teach myself everything and I was willing to try anything! I made 100 pounds of meatballs (rolling each and every one by hand, mind you) for a publicity party for the Science Fiction Convention I staff. From there, I was studying to pass my Nuc classes so cooking was a catch as catch can thing, but still I tried to learn. My next adventure in cooking was a pan of Baklava. THAT was divine!!!! I was hooked. there was a local Greek Restaurant that sold Baklava and I had always loved it. this was my first real, there it is on a plate realization that I could cook nearly anything I decided to try.

After that, I was off to the races. A small health food store on the next block was a target. One year, I decided to make fruitcake. my ex-husband's mother would never touch good fruitcakes. being a good Baptist, she would not consider a fruitcake that had been soaked in rum!! I also had a room mate who was on an all natural, earth girl thing. so, we put our heads together and we MADE fruitcake using fresh or dried fruit, but not the candied fruit normally used, these days. over the next four years, I make up about 50 little 6 inch round gelatin mold pans of fruitcake and sold them to the health food store. I developed rather a following!

Later, of course, came the exile to Atlanta and that was the end of the fruitcake business. but the beginning of learning to make yummy food from inexpensive ingredients. and I have never looked back. I still use less expensive where it will suit, but I do try to find the best product for the job. and I still save money.

So, how did you guys start in the kitchen? (or deck)
  • Huskee
    Administrator
    • May 2014
    • central MI, USA
    • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
      • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
      • PBC
      • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
      • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
      • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
      • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
      • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
      • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
      • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
      • (7) Maverick ET-732s
      • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
      • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
      • Thermapen MkII, orange
      • ThermoPop, yellow
      • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
      • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
      • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
      • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
      • Instant Pot 6qt
      • Anova Bluetooth SV
      • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
      • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
      • BBQ Dragon
      • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
      • Weber grill topper
      • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
      • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
      • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
      • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
      • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
      • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
      • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
      • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
      • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
      • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
      Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

I would do burgers and chicken on my dad's 1980s gas grill, which I helped him assemble when I was small and he still owns and uses to this very day. But my very first meal my first night in my new apartment was spaghetti. I had three food items in my fridge/cupboards my first night as a bachelor- spaghetti, pepsi, and oreos. What more did a 19 yr old need?

I don't remember the first thing I cooked for real that wasn't in a jar. But I did boil the noodles myself, ha ha.

Comment

• johnsteen
      Charter Member
      • Jan 2015

Between 2 and 3 years old. Standing in a kitchen chair next to my Mother at the stove and counter. Cooking full meals by the time I was 6.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        I have memories from the time I was about 4-5 on the Farm in Texas. My grandmother and I would get up and go to the barn, first thing. Momma, our one milk cow (our cattle was beef cattle) would be waiting there. We kept her in milk for our uses. and, while I tell people I milked a cow as a child. technically, I did, but I will admit Granny did most of it. She used to get SUCH a kick out of squirting the cats that always followed. I suppose she enjoyed watching me giggle at it more than enjoying watching the cats. We would get a couple of gallons a day. I assume she milked in the evening, as well. But, we took it back to the house and she would sit me in a chair with the butter churn while she started cooking.

She made this INCREDIBLE buttermilk candy that I have been trying to duplicate most of my adult life. By the time I was old enough to ask for it, she had not made it in years and had forgotten it. I am still fiddling with it from time to time.

She made these Peach Fried Pies from the peach trees on the farm, that were absolutely DIVINE! with the butter done, next job was gathering eggs, then picking the chicken we were going to have for dinner. When I was that young, we didn't have a hatchet or axe for the house. my grandfather had the only one we owned with him working. she taught me how to wring a chickens neck. apparently, it was all in the wrist.

Once we moved to Chattanooga, I wasn't included so much in the cooking. I was in school by then, my mom and grandmother both worked and dinner became more convenience foods. lots of canned chili, boxed macaroni, canned soups and sandwiches. My mother and grandmother were both meat wrappers with my Uncle Don their butcher. His son and widow still operate Don't Meats.
    • CurlingDog
      Charter Member
      • Sep 2014
      • Port Washington, WI
      • Traeger Jr Elite, Modern Home Products TJK gasser,Char-Broil 26" Round Charcoal Grill CBRMH-2600/S, Weber Smokey Joe, small portable POS charcoal grill, 13.25" GrillGrates, Thermopen, Maverick ET-732, Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer
        gorilla gloves, bear paws

i remember it well... i was hungry. mom was busy doing other things and had no time to cook something up for a starving kid, so i made a peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk. (I then move up to PB and Banana... still a go to for me).
      Random other little things along the way, like helping dad with the POS charcoal grill from Monkey Wards doing up a mess of chicken for Memorial day and pouring his beer on the flare ups. Rubbery, partially cooked and heavily torched. Its a wonder i'm still alive. Then came the various and assorted things like No-bake cheesecakes, custom made chocolate milk... i was a regular "Julia" child. it wasn't till after the college years that i picked up an 18" weber (still have it) and started my experimental phase with the std gateway grillage material... burgers, corn on the cob, steak. My, how times have changed!!

Comment

• Mosca
        Charter Member
        • Oct 2014
        • PA
        • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

It's hard to remember. My mom was sickly, and I used to get up and make breakfast for myself and sometimes for my younger sisters. I definitely made omelets before I learned to drive. I can't say they were good, but I made them.

I was a bachelor for many years afterwards, and learned the guy foods: burgers, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc. I got a reputation for knowing what I was doing, before I actually knew what I was doing. I made a lot of stuff by following The Joy of Cooking. If a recipe was too complicated, I turned the page! I started buying cookbooks at yard and garage sales, and learned how to make 1960s style pot luck casseroles.

tl/dr: I dunno, long ago. Back in the 1960s and 1970s.

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          I love it. those old cookbooks are MARVELOUS (when you know which ones to skip or alter for safety purposes) I don't know how many people have Kindles but Amazon has a HUGE collection of old cookbooks which are free downloads. if you don't own a kindle, you can download the kindle app for your desktop or tablet and then download all those great cookbooks. They make fascinating reading, not to mention some great old recipes.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Karon, I had one from the 1920s that had things like killing and butchering a chicken in it! And I had an old Prudence Penny cookbook that had some good information. One of the problems though was that ingredients change over time, and tastes change, and eating needs to be updated for the times. I still use the latest edition of Joy though. That I will always have.
      • Karon Adams
        Charter Member
        • Feb 2015
        • Chattanooga TN
        • Karon Adams
          Consort of the Flame
          Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour
          Big Poppa's Drum conversion
          Maverick wireless meat & grill thermometers
          Thermopen Instant Read Thermometer
          Pit IQ blower

When I was in High School and college I did what a lot of kids that age do. I started hanging out with friends who were a little older than I. they were both probably in their early to mid 20's and I met them at Science Fiction Conventions. They bought a [email protected] old house here in town and there was a regular gaggle of us who would all be at their house after school or work. At that age, Mom & Dad are NOT the people with whom you want to hang. But, someone a little older, yeah, that makes you feel grown up. Bob & Belinda and their baby son, Otto (after Bob's grandfather). Bob had a crummier than crummy little grill. I think we kids made more money at our fast food jobs than he did. but we had FUN (Mostly) We would pool our meager cash and buy a family pack of cheap Chicken thighs and a couple of cases of the least expensive beer available. I don't drink. did then, still don't much.

We would all hang out on their back porch & steps and yard, just sitting, and smoking (yeah, I was a bad, bad girl) and burning chicken for dinner. It was fun, for the most part. unfortunately, I ended up dating the wrong guy and it went VERY bad. after that, I had to go into hiding for a while and dared not go back to that house. but, I remember those days with fondness. Right of passage, learning my way in the world, along with my closest friends. And, yes, Bob would keep his beer handy to knock down flare ups. They ended up moving back to St Louis and we all lost touch (most of them, I still have contact with a few of them)

In that case, it was about saving money while feeding the crowd. there were probably about 6-10 people there on any given evening. the only hard and fast rule was, when you crack the first beer, you turn in your keys. Guess who was always the runner for more beer & cigarettes?

Comment

• JeffJ
          Charter Member
          • Feb 2015
          • Michigan
          • Jeff

I don't recall when I lost my cooking virginity.

Comment

• CurlingDog
            Charter Member
            • Sep 2014
            • Port Washington, WI
            • Traeger Jr Elite, Modern Home Products TJK gasser,Char-Broil 26" Round Charcoal Grill CBRMH-2600/S, Weber Smokey Joe, small portable POS charcoal grill, 13.25" GrillGrates, Thermopen, Maverick ET-732, Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer
              gorilla gloves, bear paws

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
            When I was in High School and college I did what a lot of kids that age do. I started hanging out with friends who were a little older than I. they were both probably in their early to mid 20's and I met them at Science Fiction Conventions. They bought a [email protected] old house here in town and there was a regular gaggle of us who would all be at their house after school or work. At that age, Mom & Dad are NOT the people with whom you want to hang. But, someone a little older, yeah, that makes you feel grown up. Bob & Belinda and their baby son, Otto (after Bob's grandfather). Bob had a crummier than crummy little grill. I think we kids made more money at our fast food jobs than he did. but we had FUN (Mostly) We would pool our meager cash and buy a family pack of cheap Chicken thighs and a couple of cases of the least expensive beer available. I don't drink. did then, still don't much.

We would all hang out on their back porch & steps and yard, just sitting, and smoking (yeah, I was a bad, bad girl) and burning chicken for dinner. It was fun, for the most part. unfortunately, I ended up dating the wrong guy and it went VERY bad. after that, I had to go into hiding for a while and dared not go back to that house. but, I remember those days with fondness. Right of passage, learning my way in the world, along with my closest friends. And, yes, Bob would keep his beer handy to knock down flare ups. They ended up moving back to St Louis and we all lost touch (most of them, I still have contact with a few of them)

In that case, it was about saving money while feeding the crowd. there were probably about 6-10 people there on any given evening. the only hard and fast rule was, when you crack the first beer, you turn in your keys. Guess who was always the runner for more beer & cigarettes?

ah yes... hanging out with freinds in college. I still remember the time a very brilliant friend of mine decided that, since he didn't have any lighter fluid left (ignorant of the chimney concept), he would use white gas. worst. burgers. ever.

Comment

• mgaretz
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • San Ramon, CA
              • Mark Garetz
                Rec Tec pellet grill
                Weber Genesis Gasser
                Maverick ET-732 and Thermapen and others

When I was married to the second wife (the one I had kids with) she did most all of the cooking and I did the dishes and clean-up. When she left me, my son was already over 18 and my ex and I shared custody of our daughter (who was about 16). At that time I was selling appliances, including major kitchen appliances and small ones as well. My daughter didn't want to eat my cooking and I thought really learning how to cook would help with that and my job. (I always had a talent for creating recipes, just couldn't execute them, unless they were beer recipes, even then I enjoyed making the recipe more than the beer.) So I enrolled in cooking classes. Got very good at it.

I'll never forget the first night I was going to cook for my daughter in the new house. She likes Thai food, so I decided to make her a Thai Basil Chicken dish. When she asked where we were going for dinner, and I said I was making Thai Basil Chicken dinner at home, she said "Noooo!" "Why not?" I said. "It will be terrible and we'll starve," she replied. I said, "We're not on safari, so if it's bad, we'll go out." She agreed to try it. She had thirds! Now she prefers my cooking to her mom's!

Now (third and final wife) I do all the cooking and the cleaning too.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Banned Former Member
                • Jul 2014

Hmmm... My first real attempt to learn cook was when I was 35. There was a really, really good Steak House in Portand, Oregon called Opus Too. It wasnt very large, there were maybe 15 tables, a few booths and a long solid mahogany countertop with barstools. The cook line was right behind that countertop. I made it a point to sit at the counter so I could watch them cook. It's the only Steakhouse I've ever been to that didn't have baked potato's on the menu. They offered you Fettuccine Alfredo, with or without pesto instead. I remember my first order there I thought this is so strange. However after that first dinner I thought this guy is brilliant, that was a great combination! I got to know the owner eventually and asked him why? He said look around the cook line, he said there's no oven in my kitchen. All he had for cooking was a large charcoal grill and a gas stove top. They also offered fresh caught fish. Anyway... I also got to know the Chef's that prepared everyone's food and they taught me to cook the entire menu over about a years time, including how to make a Bernaise sauce. It was a free culinary school for me. The Owner of that restaurant was an old Waterbed store guy. When the Waterbed business tanked years ago he needed something to do. He approached me about buying his restaurant from him because he wanted to move to Palm Springs and retire. At that time I owned a Furniture manufacturing business with 1 other partner. I approached him about having our company buy this guy out. He and I were gung ho on doing this deal and then... He said why don't you come up to Seattle and we'll run this by Gail, his wife - the Big Boss. Jeff and I had the deal cut with the restaurant owner where we could buy him out for $500,000. It seemed reasonable to us. The resturant was near where the Portland Trailblazers played their games and almost every NBA team that were in town dined there after their games. Anyway we ran it past the Big Boss and she laughed at us and said you guys are crazy! What the hell do you two know about the restaurant business? I said Gail its fully staffed and has been for 5 years. All we have to do is keep the right people on board and were good to go... More laughter. So... We didn't buy the restaurant.

One year later a famous resturantur from Seattle came down to Portland and started buying up a bunch of restaurant's in Portland. He bought Opus Too for $3,000,000 dollars. The Big Boss didn't laugh much about that lost opportunity.
                Last edited by Breadhead; March 6, 2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                  Founding Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Florida
                  • Brand new 26" Weber kettle. Three Weber 22.5"kettles, An 18" Weber kettle.

Two WSM's, 18.5", one with an extra mid section

Maverick ET 733 and 732. ThermoWorks RT600C Thermometer & Thermoworks MK4. Two PartyQ's

Kingsford blue bag
                    Royal Oak lump for searing

Have competed in two BBQ comps and plan on more this year

Huge fan of The Ohio State University.

My dad cooked on his 22.5" Weber a lot. I learned from him. His specialty was a 3" sirloin that he cooked direct heat for 17 minutes a side. I wish he knew about the reverse sear technique; he would have loved it big time. We were a rare to medium rare eating family. He did cook turkey indirect on the Weber and it was excellent.

Comment

• Ptrbve
                    Founding Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Parrish, Florida
                    • OlllllO

My parents had a breakfast / lunch place when I was a kid. The Summer I turned 13 my father "hired" me for $3.00 / hour. He brought me in with him at 5:00 and I ran the griddle until about 2:00. I was "the shortest short order cook."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                    The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                    The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                    The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                    We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                    GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                    The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                    This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                    A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                    FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                    Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                    Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order