Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A weekend you can sink your teeth into...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A weekend you can sink your teeth into...

So... Meat loaf tonight, Roulade tomorrow night, Pork Butt goes on the smoker tomorrow night for Saturday, Bacon goes on the smoker Saturday!! And I'm trying to decide what kind of pie (fruit pie) to bake over the weekend. So, share your weekend plans!

My favorite pie is cherry! I don't put any top crust on, just some shredded coconut, which during baking gets nice and toasted.

Not cooking this weekend though - we're off to Disneyland for our anniversary. We'll be eating well though. There is an amazing four star restaurant in the Grand California Hotel called The Napa Rose and another great one in Downtown Disney called Catal.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      We JUST decided to do a Cherry, which is probably my personal favorite. I know I will be booed and possibly shunned for this next confession. Year ago, McDonald's had a PineApple pie and I LIKED IT! Please don't hold that against me! and the custard pie (though I use the term 'custard' loosely) wasn't bad, either. I may make a pineapple pie at a later date.

Hey, not everything can be home made from scratch. girl's gotta eat on the road!!

And, at some point this weekend, I'm going to make some puff pastry to hold in the freezer and maybe use it for Baklava! I'll even use my own honey for that one!

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Apple Pie would be good. Did your bees come?

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Bees arrive April 23. Looking forward to them. My camera jolly well SHOULD be here, by them. I'll likely record the installation of the packages and put them on YouTube. I'll post the link here, if you wish to see.

Mgaretz,

Epcot has some seriously good restaurants.

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Wrong coast!

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL yeah not Disney World.

Baja Style Grilled mahi mahi Fish Tacos tonight. Smoked beef and pork ribs tomorrow. Smoked chicken Sunday.

Comment

This weekend is... Saturday i'm make my chicken stock, baking some Ciabatta bread and some French Baguette's. Saturday's dinner will be Tomahawk Ribeye's - 2" bone-in 40 ounces monsters, with fettuccine Alfredo and asparagus with a hollendaise sauce.

Sunday is braised short ribs that I got the recipe and all of the techniques from a video at StellaCulinary.com. I'm going to serve that with mashed potato's and sautéed zucchini and onions.

Comment

Dinner out on Saturday but for Sunday supper Ina Garten's recipe Boeuf Bourginon is getting dusted off and teed up. I fill my big Staub Dutch oven with it (double recipe). The girls take leftovers home with them and we still have enough for a dinner or two during the week.

Kathryn

Comment

Shoveling out my PBC today, not sure what I'll make tonight. Tomorrow is corned beef brisket in the PBC. Having my dad over for pre-St. Pat's dinner.

Comment

So much for my do nothing weekend! although, HWMO has actually DONE most of the work. he has gotten really good at setting up the drum for my smoking. we put the butt on last night. the temp ran a little higher than I like but it should be OK. Butt cooked for about 10 1/2 hours. sitting in the cambro now. Then, we put the bacon on this morning, that is 6 more pounds of bacon. and, yeah, it sounds like a lot but, we did 5-6 pounds last time and we opened the last package of it yesterday. I'm eating bacon for breakfast most day rather than sausage. once I get into sausage making, that may change and the two even out. for now, they are what they are.

HWMO is currently taking the cracklins off the smoker (they went in as soon as the bacon was out) and now, we are going to load up the Maze with pellets and use it and the last of the pellets used for smoking yesterday & today, to smoke a few pounds of salt.

Denver has these really tightly woven stainless screens. round. I think they were originally meant to be filter screens for the holding tanks on hydraulic elevators. he brought a package of them home years ago and has used them for his beer making. I'm going to have him ring a few of the screens with foil to create a foil berm around the edges of each screen, put them on the smoker, then spread salt onto the screen. it is woven tightly enough that table salt will not fall through. then, we'll have smoke salt as well as BBQ sauce to give as gifts. WOO HOO.

I wish my camera were here. this bacon looks LOVELY! the sugar and syrup and fat rendered out has created a beautiful golden glaze! It's going to be some darned good bacon.

I am never going to buy bacon again.

I'm coming to a point in my life where I rarely buy anything in a box or a bag. instead of bread, I buy flour. instead of potato chips, I buy potatoes and oil. make my bacon. all I need is a flock of chickens to lay for me (except that the city of East Ridge frowns on that. mostly because Chattanooga allows it. yes, that is stupid and we are trying to reason with the city council.<sigh> eventually!!

Goodness, I need Monday to come back around so I can really get some rest!! 😝😝😝😝😝

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis