Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Beautiful Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Beautiful Day

You know what they say about perspective being everything. Well, today was a perfect example. Grey, 40, rainy, slush and ice left over from the last few days of freezing rain. BUT, I haven't been able to get myself outside to cook in a couple of weeks. I went outside this morning, dug my Performer out of 2-inch thick ice, set up my rain tarp, set up a 3x2 donut around the upturned Vortex and proceeded to cook all day. At the end of the day, I still had 1/4 of the donut unlit.

First, I smoked some bacon that I've had curing for a couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	68328

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	68329

It was damn good.

Then I threw on 2 3-lb chuck roasts with BBBR. While these were on, I also threw a hamburger on for lunch (ground up a chuck roast on my KitchenAid yesterday).

The chuckies turned out great. Good bark:

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	68330

Nice smoke ring

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	68331

Tender and juicy

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	601.9 KB
ID:	68332

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	68333

Finally, when this was done, I threw on a small flat iron steak for dinner, finished with some flake salt

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	68334

Well, TB, the sun was shining in your world!! CONGRSTS on a great cook and making the best of the weather conditions.

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. It was like a spring day - no gloves, no hat, just a fleece pullover. Of course, right now we're in the middle of about an 8 inch snow day.

NICE! WTG Man!

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon Solberg. I was thinking as I was chipping away at the ice around the wheels of my performer with a hatchet that I wasn't going to come visit you and ice fish :-)

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      hahahahaha... we got power tools for that.

Proper!

Comment

Damn that all looks amazing!

Comment

Very nice but how did you get all of that meat on one device? Not to mention hold the temps? Wow.

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Guy, wasn't all at the same time. Bacon first - only takes an hour to get a 2 1/2 lb slab to 150 when cooking in the 225-250 range. It came off and I put on the 2 chuck roasts. They're a little longer than the diameter of the Vortex, but since I was using a fuse/donut the end that wasn't over the Vortex wasn't over any direct heat. Threw the hamburger on while the chucks were cooking over an area of the donut that had already burned than moved it over the coals for a semi-sear and to melt the cheese. As soon as the chucks were done, I put the flat iron directly over the burning coals since it's a thin cut and cooks quickly.

Temps weren't an issue. The donut/fuse with the Vortex works so well, and having my tarp up the rain wasn't an issue. Though when the outside temp started dropping I did put my thermofelt "cover" on the lid. There were some dips and then some spikes when the heat hit a wood chunk, but I'm happy within a 50 degree swing occasionally.

• Guy
          Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          TB that is great information and seems like it would be a lot of fun. I love my Votex.

The Burn Beautiful post, beautiful pics! Nicely done. Those chuckies have some PERFECT looking bark and ring.

Pit Boss isn't online now to do this, so I will fill in.

Wait for it....

Wait for it...........

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	68500

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir. I decided that I suffer from BSAD, Barbecue Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm just not as happy when I can't cook outdoors.

Thing about the bark - didn't oil the beef.
          Last edited by The Burn; March 5, 2015, 03:02 PM.

• Guy
          Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          The Burn, yessss, well deserved. Huskee good choice of reward.

Nicely done. A beautiful cook! Great ring on the chucks, awesome looking bacon. One of those cooks that keep you coming back. That Vortex is great.

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Owe it all to this site and the people on it.

Yes that is true for all of us but you still have to work and practice what we learn. Obviously you have done that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis