Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another personal preference questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another personal preference questions...

So, let me ask this as a companion question. again, a point of personal curiosity. Which would you AND your significant other/family prefer? going out to dinner at a restaurant or eating what you put on the table? For myself, from bread to entrée to dessert, I would MUCH rather eat at home. beyond the point of pride in my cooking skills, there IS no restaurant in my area which I can afford that comes close to the quality I can produce myself. between that and a medical issue which forces me to eat very slowly, I just can't afford any restaurant which produces food I would be willing to eat.

Rather eat at home. My wife has a medical issue that only allows her to eat little and slowly. We do eat out sometimes and she ends up taking the remaining food home for the next meal.

Comment

Without question we prefer to eat at home. My wife's birthday, our anniversary and Valentine's Day are all home-cooked affairs that always include a nice bottle of Italian red like a Barolo or Brunello Di Montalcino.

Comment

• CurlingDog
        CurlingDog commented
        Editing a comment
        Banfi's Brunello Di Montalcino ranks high with me.

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        there is NO more terrible experience dining than sitting in an overcrowses lobby or bar on Valentine's or Mother's day. I just despise it. of course, if you're going to do that, eat before you leave home cause you are going to be sitting in that lobby for hours. and it isn't like you'll be able to enjoy passing the time together because you'll be lucky if ANY of your party gets a seat and more likely they'll be split up to sit wherever they can find a corner of a bench. SO sad. I have quality grocers in my area and my ever expanding backside demonstrates that I like to 'taste' to make certain it's all well made. There are a few goof good restaurants in my town but none that can turn out a decent steak for anything near what I'll pay for a much better piece of meat from my butcher. and it won't be cold. Don't get me started on 'custom breakfast' anywhere, restaurant or hotel.

I preach this all the time.....you pay for ambiance and (more times than not) mediocre food at restaurants.
      Unless you go to high end restaurants (which is never quite a comfortable experience) for a steak and a wallet raid.

I'd rather eat at home.

Comment

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too any day.

Home. Or, even better, someone else's home (assuming, of course, they know what they're doing).

Comment

I like eating out when I either get tired of cooking or just need out of the house. School has been cancelled a bit, so there are only so many days I can handle my kids and all their friends without a break. When I do go out it is usually for something I don't regularly make like Indian or Chinese. I love Chinese but haven't cooked a lot of it myself, so eating it out is the only option.

Comment

The only time we go out is when we feel like eating some kind of ethnic food that is too much hassle to cook at home. Sushi comes to mind, as it's a real pain to just make sushi for the two of us. As cooking is something my wife and I share and love to do together, we consequently don't eat out too much. There are a few places we like to eat as their food is unique and good, but this is a "treat" for us. Most restaurants , in a nutshell, suck. This is coming from a longtime chef and line dog. They suck, they charge you top dollar for crap, and are geared for corporate profits over real food and cooking. The exceptions are where we eat. The exception(s) include(s) where I work, or I wouldn't be working there.

Comment

I think they are apples and oranges to some extent. I love to cook and think I make really good food. I also like to eat out. I even like to eat BBQ out even though I almost always leave thinking mine is better. When it comes to Indian or Chinese which I cook often and well, I think the food in authentic restaurants is better than what I make at home. I don't make sushi at home, do I only eat that out. I also love a good Manhattan steakhouse steak. I have not equaled that (yet) though once I start putting the things I have learned here into practice, that might change. Also, to Ernest's point about ambience about atmosphere, they are not irrelevant.

Comment

Honestly it isn't an either or question. Going out to eat isn't a daily thing, so when the opportunity arises we love to go out. I enjoy trying new things and getting new inspirations from where I go. If I ate at home constantly, my craft would stagnate and never grow. I can't tell you how many great ideas I've come across from eating out.

Comment

I eat out because I love to cook. I enjoy trying new recipes and strengthening my cooking chops. However, the minute it becomes drudgery--me in the kitchen alone while the entire family gets to watch a pay-per-view movie while drinking wine and eating popcorn, then I quickly toss my apron aside and join them. That night might be a leftover night or going-out-to-eat night.

Also, I have several hobbies, including cooking. They're all like insistent children clamoring for the "Me first" position in my discretionary time. Some days we go out because I want to design and sew a new outfit, or work with my looms, or (dare I say it?) sit and read. Some days work gets in the way, and slapping something on the table last minute is zero fun.

And finally, my spouse has absolutely no interest in cooking, so it's not an activity that we can share. He loves to eat good food, but making a salad to go with supper is about his limit. It's not that he can't do it (because he did when he was single), he simply does not enjoy it.

So for me, eating out is freeing in that when I choose to cook it's because it's a lot of fun. When I have to cook, not so much.

Kathryn

Comment

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc Your a good Mom Kathryn. When our kids come over and make comments like that Brenda tells them that they don't need to go there. But, each to their own.

As far as Brenda's new machine I would have gotten her the 780 or 800 series if she had wanted it. I had to push her to get this one. In fact I went to the Bernina store and negotiated the whole deal including the bazillion dollar Horn table and Tutto carrying bags. That's why I have to wait on getting my stick burner. And I have no problem with that as it is giving her a lot of pleasure and she doesn't have to worry about it dying in the middle of a project.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, very nice toys, Mark. That Enterprise 10 needle must especially be a lot of fun to play with.
                  K.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmmmm, Barry...a new Bernina/Horn Table/Tutto carrying set vs. a stickburner?

That would put me on the horns of a dilemma!

You're a great husband to wait to get the stickburner--I imagine you scored major points with that bounty of sewing equipment for Brenda. Good call.

My girl always says my cooking has spoiled her from enjoying any restaurant we go to. I explain it like this, I am cooking just for her, and doing everything I can to make her meals the best they can be, at most restaurants the people cooking are just doing a job, they do not know each persons individual taste, so cooking at home is a much more intimate and enjoyable experience.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is kind of how I see it. and I have told people who receive home baked gifts for Christmas and other events. if someone complains that it is cheap because it is home made, I make a note and buy a geegaw from Wal-Mart next time. when I go into my kitchen and cook for you, give my time & talent to create for you, it means one thing. I love you. because cooking IS love.

Dining out for me is all about the people you are with. Sharing a good meal and chatting about what's happening in their life. I do enjoy getting things I've never cooked at home before. I had braised short ribs the other night when my 37 year old son and I went out to dinner. Because of the very flavorful meal I had I'm going to braise short ribs on my BGE this weekend. I've never braised anything so it will be a new experience for me. This dish also requires chicken stock with a high gelatin content, for the reduction sauce, so... I'm going to make a chicken stock for the first time too. I had a great time with my son, a really good meal, over priced though at $24 for a 2" cube of short ribs and some mashed potato's and sautéed veggies, and I have learned new cooking techniques. But I'd much rather eat at home.
                Last edited by Breadhead; March 3, 2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Cooking at home is mostly work. Out with friends, even if the food is not as good as what I can do, is preferred. The wife cooks, but, it is mostly "healthy" stuff. Who wants that on a regular basis? Belgian waffles tonight for dinner, with whipped cream and fresh fruit. How can that be bad? Well, it can't be... Even the king of carnivores needs a break now and again.

Comment

If at any point I start feeling like cooking is becoming a chore, I'll drop that knife and walk away from the kitchen.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto that. Sometimes it doesn't work, though, with hungry faces staring at me, so I soldier on...

Kathryn

I will never get tired of BBQing. Eating ior cooking it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis