Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korean Soup and Recipe Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Soup and Recipe Website

Click image for larger version

Name:	soup.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	67744My current culinary fascination (besides 'Q, that is always number one for me) is Korean cooking and I came across an awesome website with great recipes that I thought I would share: http://www.maangchi.com. She has a whole section on Korean BBQ, so it fits in nicely here.

The picture above is of her Kimchi Soup (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchiguk). I made this last night and while I would have loved to have grilled/lightly smoked the pork, I did not feel like firing up my One Touch in blowing snow (my gas grill died last summer, I will purchase another one this spring but for now, all I have is the kettle) so I browned the pork shoulder on my stove top. I wanted to amp up the nutritional value so I added about 1 1/2 cups of chopped broccoli and 1 1/2 cups of kale when the tofu went in. I then finished it with two egg yolks on top of the hot soup in the bowl.

Outstanding, nice and spicy with excellent flavour. I will be trying more of these recipes (I am lucky to live about a 2 min drive from a great Korean/Japanes grocery store, so getting the ingredients is easy for me) over the next little while and I will post the one's worth making.

Awesome thank you for sharing. I was in Sacramento a month ago for a trade show, and a group of us ran to a Korean restaurant for lunch. I was blown away. Holy tasty! All of the side dishes that came with each course was worthy of high praise on their own. Unfortunately living on the Central Coast of Cali, we have no Korean near us. But this is a cuisine that continues to fascinate me.

Comment

Easton Beef posted an excellent recipe for kimchi here in the pit a while back. I'm on my second batch in about a month and a half!

I love to eat it straight out of the jar, but I have also used it to make a soup similar to the one in this post. I heat a couple tsp of olive oil in a sauce pan and sauté about 1/2 cup of kimchi for a minute. I then add 2 or 3 cups of water and about a TBS of chicken base/bouillon. This is the base for the soup and you can really add your favorites to it. I add about a TBS of soy sauce, half a TBS of rice vinegar, 1/4 tsp of toasted sesame oil, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, a can of stir fry veggies, a few chopped green onions, a chunk of minced ginger from the freezer, and a few sliced up mushrooms. I usually add whatever leftover meat I have in the fridge for an added bit of protein and flavor contrast. Left over smoked meats are my favorite. I've also done the same thing and thrown in some ramen noodles, but I usually try to keep it a bit healthier and leave the pasta out.

Comment

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to try that one this weekend along with another recipe from that site, I'm thinking the braised mackerel with Korean radish stew.

When you do Kimchi, do you keep the lid cracked slightly to allow air flow for fermentation?

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I put the lid on hand tight and then back it off a little bit so the CO2 being generated can escape. If there's no where for the CO2 to go it could burst the jar.

I forgot to mention I served thee soup over a brown and wild rice blend, needs the substance for it to be a full meal, noodles, potatoes, yams or any type of rice would also work well. If it is a starter or a side dish the starch can be left out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis