Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GoodNews/BadNews/GoodNews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoodNews/BadNews/GoodNews

Well, March is very much coming in like a Lion. Saw my Orthopod today. he has declared my kneecap completely healed! HOORAY! I fell, in a clean, dry, empty HOSPITAL hallway on August 2, 2013. Snapped my kneecap in two like a graham cracker! Luckily, I have THE best Orthopod possibly in the country, certainly in Chattanooga. He had me on the table THAT afternoon (cancelled a Friday night date with his wife!). I spent 4 days in hospital and then 2 weeks in a nursing home. THAT was terrifying and not just the horrible food! (They were SO proud of their 'vegetarian' menu. which consisted of a Grilled cheese sandwich & Campbell's tomato soup) He has deemed the knee healed and doesn't even want to remove the hardware! That's a great thing! Don't have to reopen it!! He also said the shoulder doesn't need to be cut again for now. That has had 3 surgeries so far and will have to be redone on a regular basis. but he is willing to let me go another year (this is a year by year decision) So, all good news from Dr Nash!

Bad news, my camera went COMPLETELY TU. it's dead. it's a paper weight. done. oh, well. it was a Canon 10D so it was already a dinosaur.

Good news. There's a new camera in my future. HWMO and I will be off to Best Buys tonight to go buy a new video camera. so I'll not only have photographs but I can finally start making videos. I have been talking about it for a few months. Some folks have asked for demos on several things including the Marshmallows and, of course, the various smokes. so, next adventure! We are planning to pick it up tonight, then you guys will be some of the first to see the results. Shoots 60 frames per second of HD, so the picture should be nice. and, apparently, you can pull frames out for using as stills. so, you get both at once. VERY nice. I'll have my new toy! and you guys can watch the Brioche being made!!

See you back here and on YouTube, soon!!

I've heard that the best place to get sick is at a hospital, but a broke kneecap? Uff da!

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, I was, in the moment, VERY lucky. I mean, aside from the whole trip on your own two feet and snap a bone thing. I have a significant chronic problem and had a bad reaction to a new med. went to the ER two nights running and the second night they admitted to rebalance blood tests. I was set to go home by lunch next day buit doc wanted me to eat. lunch looked disgusting so I went to the cafeteria. on the way back, ground floor, headed for the elevator, empty, dry, clean, uncluttered hallway and, somehow, I managed to catch the toe of one foot. Salad went flying and I came to a very ungracious introduction with the floor. I landed JUST right (you actually have to hit at the PERFECT angle to create this kind of break.

of course, I lay there quietly until the nurses came (OK, so I was screaming louder than I did in labor that came on so fast that my kidlets were one born in a hallway (20 minutes before I knew if it was a boy or girl) and the other almost born in the doc's office. yeah, it HURT! I looked down and there was a dent on my kneecap across the center of the flat. that was the space between the two pieces of bone. far enough apart that I could lay my little finger in the ditch and stil have room on either side. By the time I had rolled over, sat up and saw the break, there were already two ER nurse lifting me onto a gurney. they were fantastic. because the 'salad' was on the floor and not in my tummy, the doc put me on NPO as soon as the x-rays were e-mailed to him, they threw me in an ambulance (he didn't operate at that hospital) and I was screwed & stapled back together by Prime Time.

It isn't fun and I'll feel it the rest of my life. but, thanks to his skill, I can walk. and I am grateful. you don't know what a gift good health and mobility is until you lose it. it has a way of focusing your sight on the important things in life. like really good, quality food, lovingly prepared.

Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to tell you, once I began to feel the initial shock and pain receding (Thank Heavens for morphine!) I thought, "WOW! If I had done this at home, I'd still be laying on the ground waiting for an ambulance. or worse, HWMO would have tried to drive me to the hospital AFTER I was able to call him and he had to suspend ruining people's day in order to come home. when I think about it, I would have been and hour or more with that pain and nothing to alleviate it had I been anywhere else. NOT a fun day. I fell right outside the surgical waiting room. all those families in there were likely terrified to suddenly hear the screaming. I'm just glad it's healed.

Actually, my ex is a nurse. She worked in hospitals the entire (very long) time we were together. The rule of thumb I always heard around her and her medical colleagues is "A hospital is no place for a sick person."

Also, Karon Adams, I though ALL cameras and vid-cams were dinosaurs now. Doesn't every body just use their smart-phone and/or tablet?

DEW

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I only use my iPhone when I don't have access to the Nikon D3200

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      eh, I don't have an iPhone. I don't need one. in all honesty, I don't go out much. I'm too busy at home! I have not had a full time job since the Nuclear plant. I was a Realtor for a few years. that is one of those jobs when you can actually work based at home. however, I have never worked harder for a dollar in my life! Be kind to your realtor. it is a KILLER job. but, it is one where you might work 10 hours one week and 80-90 another. and may or may not actually be paid for that time. Since I retired my license, however, I hung up my cell phone and haven't used one on any kind of regular basis since. I have a cheap prepaid which I use for music and put minutes on it if I travel. never have owned an Iphone. so my camera is a whole other item for me. I went to the Ortho today and I daresay it is the first time I have been in the car in about a month, maybe more. I haven't owned a video camera since the clunky cinder block VHS camera. I think it is still in a closet, somewhere. needless to say (but I will, anyway) I have NO idea how to edit video. this is going to be an adventure!

Gotta love new toys. Whatever each of our idea of a new toy is, it's fun getting one. Good news on your knee Karon Adams

Comment

They still make stand alone cameras?

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        What's a stand alone camera? I have to hold mine unless I use the tripod

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL!!! A camera with no other use but to take pictures. I use my phone camera for all pictures.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis