Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    I've seen some people who use old satellite dishes to focus the solar energy. the parabolic shape concentrates the sunlight really well. if you paint it with a highly reflective paint, you can use the dish to cook. Very cool! Another thing that is way cool on the survivor tech thing is making air wells. I have drawn up plans for an air well that would make water all day long. very little at a time, but enough to survive if need be. and old radiator fins would make water from dew & frost. Some interesting thought experiments.

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    Add a bit of thermal mass and you can cook for hours.

• _John_
    replied
    I've cooked hot dogs and grilled cheese just for fun with some parts a friend had. Check out fresnel lenses, we got a peak temp of about 600 (but it was the size of a quarter) and 450 on an iron skillet for as long as the sun is shining. Focus the light and anything that isn't clear should be black.

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    I've actually seen people do that with their car. they'll gather the ingredients for a meanl and put it on the dash of the car while they work, "Honey, I brought hone dinner on the way home from work" in the summer, taking the internal vehicle temp would be very interesting.

• Strat50
    replied
    Try going to permies.com. They have voluminous info on this type of stuff. In your latitude this should be possible easily in the summer months. Solar ovens are usually pretty inexpensive to build from things you find around you. You can even buy pre-built units as well. They work well for low and slow. Good luck, and let us know how things go. Greetings and good tidings from Houston, Alaska.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Lots of windows and reflective surfaces, like getting into a hot car in summer. I always think I could make jerky in my car. Interesting concept if it could be engineered to last an 8-10 hr cook.

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    started a topic Solar oven

Solar oven

I have long toyed with the idea of a solar oven. I plan to make my old upright freezer into a drying oven, but, one wonders if one could make a solar oven that would enable you to cook BBQ, another experiment for the summer. But, I'm trying to work out the logistics of what would be needed to start a solar oven, make it hot enough to create smoke, and finish out meat.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis