Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me?

Can I ask a question? Is it just me or do you guys find yourselves still working a food element, even though it should be left to sit, simmer, rest or whatever? I know I do this. when I made soap, I made 400 pounds at a time. once it was poured into molds, it had to sit 2-5 days to finished the first stage saponification. I used to go to the molds several times a day and just put my hand on the soap to feel the warmth (exothermic reaction). HWMO used to call it 'communing with my soap'. I find I do the same thing when I'm cooking. I spent an hour in the kitchen, in the heat, roasting & peeling peppers & tomatoes, sautéing onions & garlic, toasting sesame, putting the sauce together and stirring it (even though I KNOW it is well blended, it just came OUT of the blender).

finally stepping away from the sauce when my timer went off for the first rise of bread. then, I went to knead the bread and just having that dough in my hands, the weight and the warmth, the silkiness, I just kept turning and turning it in my hands. I just LOVE the feel of bread dough as it is making. I'm not asking if you guys think I'm crazy because I know I AM and I'm certain you all have figured it out, by now. but I wondered if it was just me or if you guys find yourselves doing similar things?

Karon,

You are not crazy. I'm kinda like that with food - very proud of my 1st homemade pizza yesterday. Sometimes I get pretty zealous and will put my spaghetti sauce, Law ( killer burgs ), and some other things up against anyone.

Now get me around model trains - that's another story. #1 was on the phone, and overheard me shouting orders (to who?) to "lay sand, lay sand" along with some other colorful metaphors. Keep in mind these are model trains. The only person running this show is me.

--Ed

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a pretty awesome spaghetti sauce. It took me years of pleading with this old Italian grandmother lady to give me that recipe. She had been making it for me whenever I visited her and her husband both as spaghetti sauce and as a lasagna.

Finally when I was moving away from her area I went to have my last batch of her spaghetti and say goodbye... and She let me cook the sauce with her. She had no recipe written down. It was a small handful of this and big handful of that and a pinch of this. I took notes!

Hmmm... Obsessive may be a kinder term. I'm like that with my sourdough starter that I call Marshawn. When he is in Beast Mode, fed and in full bloom, I feel good. When Marshawn is hungry and looking wimpy I feel like I have let him down.
    Last edited by Breadhead; February 28, 2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Now THIS is mental!! LOL

I don't usually have much time to fuss with things very much as I usually(well most always!) am multitasking with other aspects of the meal. This is home I'm talking about. At work, one is usually like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.One has to get it right the first time as other things are depending on the timing and condition of what one is cooking. However, there is a good side to this situation: you leave the food to do it's thing without continually fussing over it. The fussing is where mistakes and errors occur. In the restaurant, if you fuss too much, then you're overthinking . Overthinking leads to anxiety, which leads to many disasters. Do your thinking before you cook. If you can think it through, you can cook it through.

Comment

Sometimes I don't play with my food enough, especially when it comes to stirring fried potatoes or flipping a grilled cheese. But sometimes I notice the urge to 'touch' fried eggs with the spatula for no real logical reason. They're not ready to flip, but I have to touch them, maybe scoot them 1/4" or so, as if that is helping anything. Maybe that's what you're referring to.

Comment

You know where this is headed. Playing with our dough can be sticky enough. But playing with our meat takes it to a whole different level! Just sayin.
        Last edited by bep35; March 1, 2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
          Can I ask a question? Is it just me or do you guys find yourselves still working a food element, even though it should be left to sit, simmer, rest or whatever? I know I do this. when I made soap, I made 400 pounds at a time. once it was poured into molds, it had to sit 2-5 days to finished the first stage saponification. I used to go to the molds several times a day and just put my hand on the soap to feel the warmth (exothermic reaction). HWMO used to call it 'communing with my soap'. I find I do the same thing when I'm cooking. I spent an hour in the kitchen, in the heat, roasting & peeling peppers & tomatoes, sautéing onions & garlic, toasting sesame, putting the sauce together and stirring it (even though I KNOW it is well blended, it just came OUT of the blender).

finally stepping away from the sauce when my timer went off for the first rise of bread. then, I went to knead the bread and just having that dough in my hands, the weight and the warmth, the silkiness, I just kept turning and turning it in my hands. I just LOVE the feel of bread dough as it is making. I'm not asking if you guys think I'm crazy because I know I AM and I'm certain you all have figured it out, by now. but I wondered if it was just me or if you guys find yourselves doing similar things?
          Karon, unfortunately you are not crazy in the endeavor that you described. Most artisans have a fetish for constantly checking and touching their work. I do that in my cooking and making preps for the next dish I wanted to cook. In my twilight years in the Navy I had the opportunity to be the breakfast cook on my ship for a week. Wow talk about opportunity and constantly checking on my work and when I did everything correctly the personal satisfaction was WOW!! I also do that when I am out in the shop machining something on the lathe or mill and all my other hobbies.

Comment

I disagree! I think she is clearly crazy! Just in a way that most of us, if not all, understand completely. There you have it... I would not discuss with your normal friends, just saying...

Comment

I don't mind saying you're crazy, cause I'm that kind of crazy too. I'm like that with all sorts of stuff, making fishing rods, smokers, carrot cake, chili, or whatever. I just want the best for my project of the moment, so I don't leave it to chance. So you go ahead and keep your finger on the pulse of your project and be proud.

Comment

I wouldn't say you are crazy. You are doing something you love. It would be crazy if I did it, yes, but you clearly take great joy in it. My opinion is that you would be crazy to not act that way.

To answer the original question, I used to do that when I detailed cars as a hobby. I'm not the kind of person who would make soap from scratch, but I used to go into the garage on a 10* day and polish a perfectly clean car. Because I liked to. I can't do that now for health reasons, but i did do it.
                Last edited by Mosca; March 1, 2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I think you are crazy smart. Your writing is at the top level. I wish I had paid attention in my writing classes so I could be more correct and descriptive. You are unique on this site as far as I know but don't let it bother you we are all trying to learn here. I always read your post but your energy kind of makes me tired sometime. Wish I had that much time and energy. By the way you have gotten me interested in bread now. Thanks.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                    Karon Adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm actually not so strong, physically. but, I am narcissistic enough the write to my audience. That is also one of the main reasons I push my veggies so much that I begin alienating the neighbors, then I do a ding/dong/ditch, veggie bombing the neighbors when we have so very many that we cry that there are so many. we really want to give them fresh veggies they cannot find at the grocery, we have had so many people who enjoy them we have started setting up an honor table in the front yard it lists the prices at the grocery stores.

I can't eat much at a time. so why go out for a $30-$50 per person dinner that I can really make better food for better prices.

Once my window closes (Just found out the bees are coming in the first weekend in April! I can't want to meet my new girls! But, I am just one more stroke away from being nearly unable to

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Karon,

We're glad you've joined the forum. You certainly have enriched it & us.

--Ed

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Karon, I agree with you about going out to eat. You never know what you are getting or who is cooking it. Since I have lived and fished my whole life in Florida (Destin area) I can tell when I am getting Grouper or some trash fish in a restaurant. Yes this is more common than you think. Tourist can't tell the difference. My OneThatDoesNotObey (whom I love regardless) and I have our own garden so we get our veggies from there. We also give them away and they are much appreciated. Now I may be calling on you for bread advise if that is OK. Thanks for joining this forum.

Ding-dong-ditching with fresh veggies?

That is awesome.

When I was a kid we rang and ran. And that was it.

I heard stories (never did this myself - honestly) of people ding-donging and molotov bombing with a bag of feces. That is WAY too mean and gross for my sense of mischievousness.

I've never felt the urge to fondle my food. Having said that, I certainly obsess about what I cook on occasion.

So, if I understand this correctly...You've set up a mini farmer's market in your front yard (please consider moving to Michigan) and when you've really over-produced you "prank/punk" your neighbors by putting together a fresh produce basket and then 'ding-dong-ditch' them with it?

That is stellar as far as I am concerned.

Your other inquiry is that you feel compelled to touch your food...I can't quite empathize with that but I don't find it strange either.

PS - A couple of others commented favorably on your writing style and vocabulary. I concur with them.

Comment

If there is a food bank close by, they might be REALLY happy for fresh veggies.

Comment

What Rich said! I can't feed my folks (family, co-workers, etc.) barbeque. They revolt (not that my BBQ is revolting)! Salvation Army has a kitchen downtown.

Comment

Nope. I find that messing about with my food gives me an opportunity to get a better feel for what's going on at each step and catch potential issues before they become disasters.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis