Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faux Cambro vs. Warming Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faux Cambro vs. Warming Oven

This is important. I've got a 4lb butt coming off the smoker in about 30 minutes and I was wondering if there is a difference between putting it, wrapped, straight into a 170ºF oven rather than a faux cambro. All thoughts appreciated, especially those that arrive before my Mav hits 203ºF!

I prefer a good cambro, faux or not, whereby the meat is in foil, which is wrapped in a towel, and all extra air space is packed with newspaper or similar.

But a 170 degree oven has held me over when the Cambro and the faux were full.

Comment

If you need to hold it less than 4 hours then cambro it.

Comment

OK. Can I ask why?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          The oven will make sure it stays above the minimum safe temp, and/or a good temp for pulling.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Right, but why do you prefer the cambro over the oven?

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I thought that was directed at John. The oven cycles, UP and down. Plus, I like the steady drop in temp and what it does, literally let it stop cooking and tenderize to perfection. I will say, Select briskets need a good warm well wrapped rest. Simply wrapping them in butcher paper, and resting in a Cambro with plenty extra air space, is a recipe for a semi-disaster, if you lucky.

I use a faux cambro whenever possible to avoid using any more energy/fuel. Unless like mentioned above you need to go several hours. Then I will oven it to bring the temp up if need be, them cambro it again. I've done that method a few times. A low oven is just, in a sense, a real cambro.

Comment

As Jerod said, it lets it cool off more, but slowly. In the cambro in a blanket it would go to 170 in 2 hours, in an oven at 170 it would probably take twice that to get even close. Ovens are dry as well, the cambro environment is VERY moist. And lastly my foil always seems to tear in oven and I have to clean up like a quart of juice.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            """And lastly my foil always seems to tear in oven""

Ugghh, I can put FIVE layers, place DIRECTLY down on the rack, and pull DIRECTLY up when removing. STILL get juice on the oven bottom. I'm about to get some liners or line with foil.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Why not just use a baking sheet either directly underneath or on a lower rack?

Thanks, all. I used the faux 'bro.

Comment

John, just ordered some of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Gourmet-...words=oven+mat

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              I got some just like that, cut a couple down to fit PBC since that tears a bit too.

Jerod, I bought one of those oven liners from Kitchen & Co. and when I got home and read the fine print I took it back. Many ovens have heating elements inside the floor and oven liners cannot be used on that type of oven without damaging the oven.

There is also concern about how safe they are with respect to any emissions from the heating mat, depending on the mat's chemical content. I didn't investigate that part of it. I just didn't want to damage my oven's heating elements or have the mat melt to the floor of the oven.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I'll look into it.

I'm gonna faux cambro my 1st brisket when it's done. All info and advice I've read here points to it. Faux did a beautiful job with a Ham that I did back @ Thanksgiving.

What a cool concept and didn't cost anything 'cause we bought the big 'ole cooler years ago!

--Ed

Comment

• Ray
              Ray commented
              Editing a comment
              Let us know how it turns out...I've done a couple of briskets and none have turned out right.

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              Right now I'm fighting with the cooker temp. Keeps jacking above 250. I just dropped it from 266 downto 149 and it's back to 253 already. I'll let it ride a little while as the meat temp dropped to 147 and has been sitting there since I crutched it @ 151. Full Water Pan, all vents @ 1/4 which is lowest I'll go. Might tweek the intake a little later...

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              OK, I fixed that problem. I'll discuss it in the post... http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...eed-advice-pls
              Last edited by Medusa; February 28, 2015, 01:07 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis