Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Dem's fightin' words" OR "It's about time!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dem's fightin' words" OR "It's about time!"

Thrillist published a list of chefs' most overrated and underrated meats and cuts. Uhoh.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...derrated-meats

Brisket is overrated. Chuck rules. Found a couple Choice at wolly word, wife wanted to know if they would be good with all that intramuscular fat, I was like, "YAH!!"

Bacon, never overrated. Can't knock something that has to help a stinkin' overrated filet mignon.

Forgot to add, I won't be offended if I never have to cook or eat another pork tenderloin, unless I get to slice it and fry it.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 27, 2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Not bad altogether, though I don't particularly care what somebody else likes or doesn't. I'll keep my bacon if you keep your jellyfish... I agree that the point is a little more flavorful and fatty than the flat, but if his flat isn't good that's his fault!

I had to go to the site since I know he makes New York BBQ and wow the photography is horrible, but even with that I wouldn't touch what they are calling brisket either. He may be famous but my trimmings look better than this mess.

Texas flat in New York
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket-1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	66844
    Texas flat in Texas
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8789-200x200.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	66842
    Attached Files
    Last edited by _John_; February 27, 2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I concur the photos are bad, but I've been to Daisy May a few times and I love the food. The Jumbo Oklahoma Beef Rib is a thing of beauty.

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Adam Perry Lang is an excellent pitmaster, but he is very partial to short ribs from what i've seen. now, that picture is just weird. it looks like graham crackers

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      To complete Jerod Broussard 's comment--Get a rope!

That don't even begin to look like meat, maybe seitan, or a Butter Finger with the chocolate removed, or...just a plain and simple crime.

eugenek Wow!! I've never seen or heard beef tenderloin get slammed so badly! I guess that we're all made a little differently. I love beef; its probably the most satisfying of the proteins, TO ME...to someone else, it may be sushi or octopus. John , John's pics speak volumes! Thanks, Eugene, for posting the link.

Comment

Chuck roast is very under-rated IMO.

Comment

I agree those Daisy May photos aren't appetizing. Needs a better photographer and post-processing. Here are a couple brisket shots that aren't so great but at least they're more natural looking.

Last edited by eugenek; February 27, 2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I would have to agree brisket is overrated especially with the recent surge in price. Filet? ehhh, for the price, maybe. But it is a good-eatin' piece of meat and for that it's not overrated to me.

Chuck roast is the bomb, quite versatile and packed with flavor.

I do agree on bacon though. Just not a big fan. I don't get wrapping everything in bacon either, to me that improve nothing it just makes things taste like bacon. If I wanted bacon I'd make it, why should my expensive filet taste cheapened up like bacon? Lol, just my thoughts. Bring on the hate mail.

Comment

I agree with those famous Chef's. Because there is almost NO fat in a beef tenderloin it is the only cut of steak I serve with a sauce. I like to serve a bernaise sauce when I cue either a chateaubriand or just filets of tenderloin. My favorite steak is a bone-in 2" thick Ribeye called either a Cowboy Steak or a Tomahawk Steak. At 2" they weigh right at about 40oz. They are the perfect size to apply the Reverse Sear process to. No sauce needed! Salt and pepper is more than enough.

Comment

Huskee, you can take off the nomex. Filet? Like soft cardboard to me. Bacon? love it. With eggs. Just can't eat beef wrapped in bacon. Oddly, I've never been a big fan of brisket. I keep trying it thinking I've just not had a good piece. Next up is to make corned beef from it. LOVE coined beef and pastrami. Anxious to try it!

Comment

Agree filet overrated. Properly rated is Ribeye. Best part of the cow!

Comment

• _John_
                  _John_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very few places I can get a good ribeye, they just don't seem to get them right, maybe it is all of the sirloins they are used to cooking.

To me, filet mignon is an expensive sauce-delivery device. Aside from the browned exterior, I can't really distinguish it from my own tongue.
                Ribeye's good. But hanger and flat iron have become my go-to steaks in the last few years. I encourage everyone to try these cuts.

Comment

• _John_
                  _John_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those are 2 of my favorite cuts, but people look at you funny if they find out where they come from, and they can look really odd compared to your typical steaks.

• jmott7
                  jmott7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, I don't tell people anything, John. In my experience, nothing can goof up a cook faster than people, what with their ill-advised opinions and preconceived ideas, blah, blah, blah. In fact, I'm thinking about getting a big sign for the dining room that reads:
                  "Shut Up and Eat."

Once a year the nearby grocery store gets these big honking sides of beef (whichever part of the cow that results in NY Strip). Depending on the year it will sell for 3.99-5.99 per pound. It has a big fat cap which needs to be trimmed and just enough marbling to be tender when cooked over high heat. I'll buy it and trim it myself and will then cut it into inch and 1/2 cuts. Each one will be dry-brined and then placed in individual freezer bags. Those individual bags will then go into a gallon freezer bag. I usually get 12 steaks out of it and usually spend $75. Keep in mind, the steaks are so thick that my wife and I split one. So, we get 12 stead dinners and with my freezing regimen they are usually good for 6 months.

The end result is very good steak. Now, is it as good as what you can get at your premium upscale restaurants and chop houses? No. But it's every bit as good, if not better, than what you would get at, say, Outback restaurant.

Comment

Just wanted to say hi to all the cooks and wannabe cooks out there looking forward to learning a few tricks and secrets from y'all

Comment

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    cheers Budmantexas. lots of stuff to learn! there is an 'introduce yourself section" if you'd like to post there.

Cheeks are highly, highly underrated, especially a fresh salmon cheek hot off the griddle. If you ever see the salmon Kama at a sushi or Japanese joint I'd recommend giving it a try.

Comment

Jordan Mott Thanks a jillion for the Bahn Mi recipe--maybe the best non-BBQ sandwich I ever ate was one similar to your recipe, served in a Vietnamese sandwich shop in Chandler, AZ. Heck, maybe the best sandwich period.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                      bbqoaf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bahn Mi's are one of the world's great sangers for sure, up there with a Rueben!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis