Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey to Spiritual Enlightenment: The Story of a Man Who Found Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Journey to Spiritual Enlightenment: The Story of a Man Who Found Smoke

Wow! Where to begin? I've been around BBQ for most of my life and even concocted some pretty good stuff of my own. As a Missouri Boy and a proud St. Louisan I LOVE BBQ, especially Burnt Ends and Pork Steaks! I've never owned an actual smoker though, not until about 2 days ago at least. A Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5", A 2013 model that has low miles and only cost me $150. Call me cheap but for 50% less money I jumped on it. As it turned out the charcoal ring was missing but everything else is in great condition so I brought the beast home and put it in the basement. That evening I scoured the web and found a reasonably priced replacement from a site called ereplacement parts. As the week has gone on I found my self spending more and more time on Amazing Ribs and daydreaming of finally getting to create smokey deliciousness in the comfort of my own back yard, which leads me to today. I stopped by Home Depot for a few things like a Grill Brush and Charcoal. I happened upon a piece of expanded steal mesh perfectly sized the fashion into a temporary charcoal ring so I grabbed it up. 30 minutes later I had cut the mesh into two pieces, formed it into a 15 inch diameter ring and connected it together with some metal braided wire. It fit perfectly into the bottom of my WSM and just like that I was ready to go! This Smoker was used and I had no idea of the history so I decided to season it as if it were new. I loaded my makeshift charcoal ring up with Kingsford Blue Briquettes and fired it up. She is chuggin away on my back patio as we speak. I could not be more excited! Here are some pics if your interested:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150225_174837.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	66221

Name:	IMG_20150225_174831.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	66222

Name:	IMG_20150225_174842.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	66214

Name:	IMG_20150225_174849.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	66223

Name:	IMG_20150225_175626.jpg
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	66224

Name:	IMG_20150225_180021.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	66218

Name:	IMG_20150225_180005.jpg
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	66225

Attached Files

Well, JG, looks like you're on your way! When you get your Mav 733's you'll be sailing'. Enjoy!

Comment

Fantastic, JG. As a new owner of a WSM (14.5") I can empathize with your excitement. Way to be thrifty! I've owned Weber products my entire adult life. If they are properly cared for (covered when not in use if kept outdoors) they last a very long time.
      Last edited by JeffJ; February 25, 2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome to our club of fellow pyromainiac's...

Pyromania is an impulse control disorder[1] in which individuals repeatedly fail to resist impulses to deliberately start fires,[1] in order to relieve tension or for instant gratification. The term pyromania comes from the Greek word πῦρ (pyr, fire). Pyromania and pyromaniacs are distinct from arson, the pursuit of personal, monetary or political gain. It is multiple, deliberate and purposeful fire setting rather than accidental.[2] Pyromaniacs start fires to induce euphoria, and often fixate on institutions of fire control like fire stations and firefighters. Pyromania is a type of impulse control disorder.

I think all of us here at AR are inflicted with some form of this disorder. Especially us that belong to the Pit.

We like to take pictures of our fires too... So you are already showing signs.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Wartface, have you seen this thread? http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...feed-the-flame
          With a post like that you may just be the kinda guy we're looking for to be general manager of the thread.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          The fact that there is a thread showing just big fires and NO food being cooked verifies my pyromaniac observation. GM... You can't afford me. The amount of money to motivate me to work again would be devastating to this fine website. Retirement is better than I had imagined. Between golfing, BBQing, bread baking, traveling and imbibing with my friends and family, especially my grandkids. I would find it very difficult to fit work in anymore.
          Last edited by Breadhead; February 27, 2015, 10:34 PM.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Did you watch the Harry Soo seminar here in the pit? Very good one with plenty of WSM info.

Comment

Congratulations, JG! And welcome. As a WSM owner, I second John's recommendation on Harry Soo's seminar. EXTREMELY helpful! Looking forward to hearing about your smoking escapades!

Comment

Thanks everyone! It's good to see that The Pit is such a welcoming place. The "seasoning" technique that I used came from Harry Soo's Amazon review of the WSM, but I'm going to find and read that seminar because hopefully it will have some new information in it!

Comment

Since it is on how to get the most from your WSM, who better?

One of the few things I do differently (so far) is that I use the water pan. I'm not going to introduce a new variable while I'l still finding my feet.

Comment

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here, Rich. I've used mine twice so far and both times I used water. I saw Soo's seminar after my second cook. I was amazed and impress by how much humidity my "mini" generated.

I am torn. We have friends coming over on Saturday. I want to use my WSM for ribs. The problem is it will only hold 2 racks, cut in half, if they are laid flat on the grate (which is how I will do it because I will sauce them in the smoker during the last hour of the cook. It's probably just enough for 4 adults and 4 children considering we will be having side dishes. But, I have 2 issues. First is if my Mother-in-law finds out I smoked ribs and didn't do one for her she'll punch me in a sensitive area (she is a rib freak). Second, my wife wants me to throw a butt in as well. Her thought was if I did that we could pull and freeze most of it in ziploc bags and then have BBQ dinner down the road that requires little time to prepare, like on a busy weeknight. This means I'll have to use my Bradley electric (My Performer w/ Smokenator is out back and I am not going to mess around with it this weekend). I like my Bradley and produces good food, but the slab of baby backs I did in my little WSM a couple of weeks ago was exceptional and, according to my son, the best I've ever made.

I just don't know what to do. Advice?

Welcome again jguiles. Enjoyed reading your post!

Here's a hint if you didn't already know- Home Depot and Lowe's usually have the main summer US holiday sales on Kingsford charcoal- two 20lb bags bundeled together for $10. That's half price. You can really score big time. The sales are usually on Mem Day, July 4th, & Labor Day. Typically the sale starts a week (or so) before. You can check online at your nearest one to see for sure if it's on or not when the time comes.

Looking forward to pics from you.

Comment

JeffJ how about doing the butt on a different day? As for the MIL, well, Mom didn't have any handsome sons, but she didn't have any stupid ones, either. Wish I could help you on this one brother.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have a larger WSM. I always stand mine up. I got two rack holders, but before that I used bamboo skewers.
                    But I also don't normally sauce mine on the grill (blasphemy, I know)

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's not blasphemy at all, Rich. IMO there is no single best way to do cue because everybody's preferences are different. For example, my father-in-law prefers Texas-style - dry rub and no sauce. I like saucing in the cooker because a glaze develops. But the advantage of doing it your way is your diners can control how much/little sauce they use.

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JeffJ, you nailed it spot on! We all like something slightly different, and they are all wonderful to those who count.....the cooker and the consumer! And I do sauce sometimes, but still trying to get the consistency I want before adding a variable. And I love it that way, too! Want to try Huskee's trick of adding brown sugar on top, too.

jguiles, really enjoyed your post and pictures.

Comment

Welcome in. Grab a seat and a brew and enjoy some 'Cue.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis