Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Keto, Adkins, misc low carb diets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Potkettleblack
    Club Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
    • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
      Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
      For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
      Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
      Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

I am on my third or fourth major run with a ketogenic diet. I did Atkins in 99-2000 or so, again in 02-03, Protein Power/PP Life Plan in 06-08, and now, Protein Power Life Plan/Diet 2.0 (Ted Naiman's Burn Fat, Not Sugar) since January of last year.

If you want to make things sweet for the kids, but keto compliant, you do it with sauce. I find rub is not really the problem (though I don't go quite like Huskee in the rub school). And I prefer a dry rib with a vinegar finish, which is much lower carb. Wife like sauce, so will sauce at the table, or I will make her a second rack, and glaze hers.

For pulled pork, I rub with MMD, which is in the bark, and generally pretty manageable in the amount of bark consumed. For saucing, wife and I have different preferences, so I portion, and sauce... she with sweet sauce and me with vinegar and MMD - whole hog edition (no sugars) or sherry vinegar and hot sauce.

I do smoked pork chops, with a glaze, and that's excessive, but I accept the excess. You do this AFTER you are "fat adapted." Fully fat adapted, so depending on the state of your pancreas and your liver, 6 weeks or 6 months in, or maybe longer.

Steak does not get sugar, brisket has a very nominal amount of sugar. I get brisket for lunch from Smoque now, and per half pound, it's 6g of carbs due to rub. I allow 40g per day, and really strive for between 20-40 a day, spaced regularly, so having 6 or 9 (getting an extra 1/4 lbs) is not a problem. For Diet 2.0, Brisket is kind of perfect.

I don't do a lot of substitution baking. I find a lot of folks stall their weight loss on it, and it prolongs fascination with baked goods. It's an ongoing question in the keto community. Ernest is on a keto board that I spend time on, and if you look through his posts, you will see a lot of really amazing keto compliant cooking that is at a lower carb level than I go.

I will note this, and the other longer term low carbers can probably confirm: Lots of people get into low carb or keto for weight management reasons. Or diabetes management. But, you find a lot of things get better, along with the number on the scale and the tape measure. In lots of ways, I think those are more important. But it's easy for me to say that, having gone from a size 44 pant to a size 36, and XXL shirts to L. But mood, nerve issues, chronic pain relief... all things I've resolved, more or less with low carb.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      44 to a 38 90lbs. Rock steady blood sugar, and cholesterol below 80!
  • Neris
    Club Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Dublin, Ireland (europe)

For me personally trying to do an atkins/paleo/keto diet doesn't work properly with bbq. Rubs & sauces have sugar in them & I like a beer or 5 with my bbq.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      So that blows the “but officer I only had two beers” comment out of the water. And why is always TWO, no creativity.
  • grantgallagher
    Club Member
    • Feb 2018
    • NJ

I do what i like to call “keto lite” because actually getting into and maintaining ketosis is bloody brutal in my experience. I maintain the general macro ratios of fat/protein/carbs but im not cutting out all the veggies that true keto requires you cut out. And i like a blueberry or so once in a while.

I just try to keep the sugar low and dont eat processed carbs and thats worked for me. When it comes to rubs etc, i still use sugar. Ive switched out reg for coconut sugar and got the same bark results. For me, its such a low amount of my eating that im totally ok with some ribs etc once a month. Would love to eat more ribs, but realistically im not cooking them more often than that.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack you are correct of course. I definitely made an over simplification on this. I guess what i meant was that it can be tougher to eat certain veggies that i like while trying to maintain keto. Either way, ive found the benefits (blood work, weight loss, etc) to be pretty similar regardless of whether i was in full keto or just maintaining a low carb/high fat keto "style" diet

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Keto folks, imho, go a bit extreme with the fat, but otherwise, just keeping carbs to what works for an individual at a ketogenic level is generally sufficient.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, i found it pretty hard to maintain over time without either eating too much protein and messing up macros or eating tons of dairy.
  • Larry Grover
    Club Member
    • Mar 2017

If you want to keep the goodies without restrictions you might want to try this.

I used to subscribe to 'Mens Health' magazine, and they'd discuss the latest fad diets...background, pro's & con's but they weren't in the business of recommending diets.

Several years back I was surprised to see they had made an exception. They heard about a unique diet so they researched it, consulted doctors and everything came up a green light.

It's called the 8 hour diet and it's very simple. Eat whatever you want but it must be in a 8 hour window, then you fast for 16 hours. When you reach your target weight you can throw in a cheat day if you want. Of course best results will come if you eat reasonably healthy rather than going hog wild. Letting your body recover & reset through fasting supposedly has long term health benefits, and even Keto guru's recommend it.

I've done keto & 8 hr. and they both work...losing one pound per week on average. Overall I liked 8 better because that first meal after fasting tastes so darn good, and the body absorbs it like a sponge with no gas, reflux or bloating. And you are allowed to have black coffee while fasting so that got me through the 16hrs.
    Last edited by Larry Grover; April 8, 2019, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      You can actually do both. Dr. Fung's Obesity Code describes eating on a 16/8 fast/feast schedule or even a One Meal A Day, while keeping a ketogenic style of eating.

• Larry Grover
      Larry Grover commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack Yep, and if l ever get diagnosed with diabetes Fung is the guy I'd want to see.

• Neris
      Neris commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a fasting dieting out of the UK called the 5:2. Eat as normal 5 days a week but on 2 days a week no more then 600 calories.
  • _Tony
    Club Member
    • Jan 2019
    • Cherry Valley, Illinois

I use Swerve products, they have a real nice Brown sugar that i use to sub in.

Comment

• sthomasaz
      Club Member
      • Jan 2019

I've lost 170 ponds on a high fat/high protein ultra low carb diet called "Carb Nite Solution". When I smoke or BBQ, I just do it without the sauce or when I do ribs I'll just leave some unsauced for me and sprinkle on some Rendevous seasoning my wife gave me.

Pulled pork, brisket, loin, chicken is all just as tastey if cooked right without the sauce.

Comment

• fracmeister
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Sprang, TX
        • Dances with lemmings

(and smokes on a Yoder 640, raises bees and shoots a .408 WIndrunner) "come la notte i furti miei seconda"

FWIW I am down 44 lbs in 3 months. I have had to cut my heart medications in half and stopped taking my statins entirely due to my numbers becoming excellent. A1C dropped out of the "prediabetic" range and now in the normal range. Triglycerides down from about 300 to 108 mg/dl. Mainly eating BBQ but plenty of spinach, broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, cheese, eggs, bacon. Told my doctor about the BBQ centered diet and he said "Well, barbecue may have saved your life"

So there

Comment

• smokin fool
          Club Member
          • Apr 2019
          • Mississauga, Ont

I come from a long line of short fat balding men with heart problems, yeah, I'm a real catch....
          For 40+ years I've battled my gut and weight, tried it all no carbs no alcohol no sugar no pop no no no no.
          in the end it portion control for me and since I work afternoons keep outta the fridge when I get home. Bowl of cereal only.
          Sat or Sun I let my hair down and indulge.
          And exercise, walk the hound 45+ mins a day and the gym, I spin twice a week mainly because the instructors a dish,
          weights and cardio the other days.
          Never be perfection but this helps.
          I have a Medical every three years to maintain my A licence, my Doctor always tells me my heart and lungs are fantastic but laments "its a crying shame about the rest of you"

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            So, we’d spot you anywhere cuz there’ll be a long line of ya eh?
            I do 45- 60 a day with my hound although a hip is givin a little hindrance.
        • texastweeter
          Club Member
          • Jul 2017
          • Republic of Texas

I'm Keto. Most rubs add a negligible about of sugar. Think a teaspoon of brown sugar per 8oz of meat. I don't sauce. Even frying can be done with a 3 2 1 breading.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            Club Member
            • Jul 2016
            • Miami, FL
            • Primo XL
              Cyberq controller
              Sierra Nevada IPA

Doc told me to cut the carbs. Which is a problem because I do enjoy a beer or two on occasion.

Anyway here are my thoughts on he subject. The doc said “low carb” not “no carb”. So I assumed he didn’t mean keto, more like 100-150 grams MAX per day. Note the USDA “food pyramid” thing says 225-325 grams. I aim for 100 max and usually come in lower.

So given my limit, here is what I do:
            1. Go for the low hanging fruit. This means junk foods. Drop chips, pretzels, and sugary junk (soda). Don’t need it.
            2. Drink unsweetened coffee/tea. Just don’t add sugar to stuff!
            3. Avoid candy and chocolate and stuff.

This alone cuts back a lot. More than you think. Even one soda per day is 39 grams of sugar for 12oz.

Next the second tier kicks in, which is harder. The starchy root vegetables. This includes French fries. And all potatoes. Also grains, including bread and rice. There is low to no carb flour substitute made from things that aren’t wheat, I’m going to get some and see what happens.

Then there is beer. Consumption has to be cut. But this isn’t a bad idea even if you aren’t told to,

I don’t bother counting vegetables (except known starchy high carb stuff) and non sweetened dairy.

Then it’s just math. Target is 100. I double beer (to compensate for other effects on weight loss and triglycerides) so my preferred style is counted at 30-40 grams per pint. I can have three on a weekend day IF I behave with everything else. I can have a hamburger bun, but not breaded onion rings or fries. If I make the burger a chopped steak then I can have onion rings. Chicken wings should be naked. Basically mix and match, recognizing that not all carbs are the same and if you sacrifice one thing it means you can still enjoy limited quantities of something else. No beer? A burger and fries isn’t going to blow your limit (unless you eat a pound of fries, keeping it to 1/3 of a pound and it’s about 65% of the 100g target, adding a hamburger bun pretty much completes my 100g target). if I exceed the target, there is the 50g reserve but I don’t want to make a habit of dipping into it.

For the most part I am good all week, and I allow a cheat day on the weekend. I also declared the last 2 weeks in December (through New Year’s Day) is exempt. Thanksgiving (and a day or two for leftovers) is exempt. My birthday is exempt, and vacations are exempt. But that is only 4 weeks max out of 52 because not every day in the second half of December will be party days.

I dont worry about BBQ sauce. It’s not like I am drinking a pint of it. If I brush some on ribs while they are cooking how much is that really. Not much. And I’m not using BBQ sauce daily. A tablespoon or two occasionally isn’t going to be a huge deal.

I go back in december for another blood test. Last one showed great cholesterol results (i am on statins, they are working because I was getting the high score but the doc got upset when I wrote my initials on the wall). But triglycerides were a bit high, as was blood sugar. Been on the low carb kick for a few weeks, I have lost weight. No plaque buildup so I’m clear to increase physical activity.

Anyhow sometime before thanksgiving I will have the second blood test drawn. Give the new lifestyle time to do its thing then see if it is enough or not.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Club Member
              • Apr 2019
              • Merritt Island Florida

I've lost 30 pounds so far this year without really trying. My diet is “Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
              See more
              See less
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}