Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

I am doing two butts for 50 people on Friday at 3 PM. I am also doing 50 pieces of chicken, mac & cheese (scaling up the AR recipe by a factor of 16), baked beans, eight batches of the AR cast iron skillet cornbread, a vegetable tray, a fruit tray, queso with chips & salsa, cole slaw, and the boursin cheese spread.
    Here is my dilemma: should I cook the pork Thursday so I can focus on the rest of the menu on Friday? I was planning on getting up at 1 AM Friday morning to start. By 3 PM I am guessing I would be totally wiped out.
    If I did cook the butts on Thursday, what would be the best way to reheat it on Friday. Normally, I just pop it in the microwave but 20 lbs. seems a bit excessive. I am doing half of the pork with the East Carolina sauce so I think I can heat that in the oven with little issue. The plain pork, I am not sure.

TIA for any ideas

Man i wish i could help. I'm about to do a "fully cook, chill, reheat" butt trial. Same thing i do with brisket. May be next weekend before i do it. Glad i could "help."
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 24, 2015, 09:49 AM. Reason: smahtphone phun

Comment

I have done pulled pork in advance, I have had great success by cooking it to 203, not pulling it, refrigerating until a couple hours before meal time and then warming up in a 250 degree oven until it hits 160-170 IT and pulling it then. Everyone loved it, however I will caveat with the fact that it was a group in their mid-late 20's on a house boating trip, so everyone's judgement was most definitely clouded by various substances, but still, it worked well.

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        various substances... cooks and food are always better, if not the best ever! Oh! LOL!

I've had good success reheating meat bagging it in food saver bags and then putting them in boiling water for a while, faux sous vide style! You could precook and pull the meat days in advance, bag 2 or 3 lbs in each bag and store it in the fridge until the day of and reheat. That way the meat isn't subject to direct heat and will stay moist.
      Last edited by cdd315; February 24, 2015, 10:38 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

I'm sure others with experience doing this will chime in shorty, but here's some advice from MH.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...s.html​

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._tomorrow.html

Comment

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Great read, thanks for posting. Missed those articles

Might be a little late but you could have done the butts this past weekend, pull, vacuum and freeze. Then Friday morning, reheat while still in the vacuumed bags in low simmering water.
        I have this many times and nobody could tell that it was days in advance.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have the means to vacuum the bags. I do have freezer bags that I can get most of the air out of the bag by lowering into a container of water, forcing the air out of the bag. Would this technique work?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          That will work too

Never had luck reheating, but i hear boiling in the bag works well. I've done some similar sized cooks lately and I would recommend doing all of the sides in advance, they can reheat easily, then do meats. Depending on the equipment you use, you can do the chicken while the butts rest (i like to rest 2 hours anyway) or if you wrap the butts after bark put them in the oven and do the chicken while it finishes. Actually the daunting part for me would be 8 batches of cornbread, that is a lot more standing around and watching.

Comment

Boiling in the bag can be disastrous. Those bag are not meant for that high of a temp, they do open up and release the perfectly cooked meat into the water. I'm talking from first hand experience.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I used the foodsaver bags, very sturdy. I had better reheating results in 140-160 degrees water.

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, Foodsaver says to do it at a simmer, not at a boil.

I recommend the vacuum seal and reheat as well. Second choice for me is microwave. I've never had an issue with either way, both taste great on day 2.

Comment

I've cooked butts in advance of feeding on multiple occasions. Once the meat is out of the cooker and has rested, I've pulled it, sauced it and stored it in the 'fridge in a large plastic bowl. When it came time to reheat I would transfer it to a large, disposable tin, and would heat it in a 275 degree oven or cooker until it warmed through. The nice thing with pulled pork is that it doesn't have to be served hot IMO. Warm is just fine. If you do it this way you should be fine based upon my own experiences, especially if you are cooking it just a day in advance of eating.

BTW - your menu lineup sounds amazing!
            Last edited by JeffJ; February 24, 2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's ideas. Appreciate the feedback. Will make a decision on what to do tomorrow. I am for sure going to do the cook on Thursday and reheat on Friday.

You gotta love the Pitmaster forum to bounce ideas off of and draw on a lot of experience.

Thanks!!!!

Comment

You have your work cut our for you for sure. If I happen to come to FL would there be room for 51? Lol.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                  FLBuckeye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Absolutely! BTW...was 70 here today

Did the butts yesterday. Ended up getting a third butt to ensure not running out of eat. 26 lbs. raw all told. Got 4 large gallon bags worth. Getting ready to fire up the turkey fryer to 150 and immerse the bags to reheat them.
                Did the corn bread yesterday as well.
                Will post some pics of the catering hopefully

Comment

Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Catering went very well. I counted 54 people that attended the post funeral meal. People raved over MH's East Carolina sauce on the pulled pork. Made too much food by a fair bit but always better too much than not enough. I asked the priest if he didn't like BBQ and he replied it is Friday. Some strange religious practice apparently...JK.
                    Having an issue posting pics.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congrats on that cook! Sounds like it all worked out perfectly. I hope you gave the priest some pulled pork leftovers for his Saturday supper.

Kathryn

• richinlbrg
                      richinlbrg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Priest = Catholic

This is lent, so Catholics give up meat on Fridays. Never put the date together or I would have told you. Back in the day, Friday's were always no meat, but now it is only during lent. I forget what year range, but the Italian fishing industry was in trouble, so the Church declared it a sin to eat meat on Fridays, that way the Church helped the fishermen. Tradition stuck.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis