Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Prices

I just picked up a nice looking 9.85 lb mostly trimmed pork butt at BJ's hour $1.48/ lb. It was the only one in the case.

How and when are you going to do that baby? GREAT score, DEW!

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I cut it in 2. One is in the freezer, the other dry brining in the bridge for later in the week. I am planning to do one rack of SLC last meal ribs tomorrow.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Good for you! Don't you feel great when you get the only one and it's a great deal?

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Medusa you know it! I couldn't resist.

Check this out! I've been to Kroger for the past 3 days. ( My second home ). I have not seen a single Boston Butt! That section of pork products has been bare. Now what's up with this? My grinder is getting a complex!

--Ed

Comment

Probably a marketing ploy to get the price up. Just saying ............. supply and demand.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know. They haven't had any butts at all there for the last couple of months and now this.

That is a GREAT price. Only Sam's Club seems to ever have Boston Butts and they are always $1.98 lb, 2 per package, total 15-18 lbs typically. Best price in my area.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's been my experience as well fuzzydaddy. That's why I had to buy this one even though I already have a couple of Sam's butts in the freezer. And this one had way less waste to be trimmed than my last ones from Sam's did.

• LSUBBQFan
        LSUBBQFan commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy & @Dewesq55: How is the quality of the Boston Butts (and meet in general) from Sam's? That's a lot better price than what I've seen at the stores in my area operating what I consider "real" butcher counters. At that price I think I'll give it a shot for sure.

LSUBBQFan the first butts I bought there had a pretty thick fat cap which resulted in a few pounds of waste, but others have said that is not always the case. Also, their full spare ribs are pretty good. And the case price on spares is $2.07/lb which is really good around here these days.

DEW

Comment

• LSUBBQFan
        LSUBBQFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Dew -- good info!

• mhalbrook
        mhalbrook commented
        Editing a comment
        Fatcap Waste?? Season that puppy and throw it on the grill Wait, did I say that out loud....

Dew, I usually get Boston butts by the case at Sam's because they are cheaper plus they look better than what's in the cooler. I wonder if they sell BB ribs by the case?

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        They do, DWC. $2.07/lb for spares by the case. But they time I have gone in to buy them they don't have any cases. It's 30 miles away so I only go when I am passing by for other reasons.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
      Dew, I usually get Boston butts by the case at Sam's because they are cheaper plus they look better than what's in the cooler. I wonder if they sell BB ribs by the case?
      If your Sam's sells the triple packs of BBs then they should sell the cases too...and at a discount.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they do sell BB's in triple packs. I will check when I get home.

Sams in our area has a good price on BB by the case. Central Missouri

Comment

Just paid $8.99/# for brisket flats at Costco. OUCH!

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch, indeed. Was that for the whole flat, our just a piece?

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, Dew, I just saw this. At less than 4# each, I'm thinking it wasn't the whole flat. Butt I just couldn't wait to start making corned beef.

I recently bought USDA Choice Bone-in Ribeye's at Albertsons supermarket for $5.88 per pound. I had them cut Tomahawk style 2" thick it was about 50 pounds of meat. I got 20 steaks all about 40oz. I'm set for a long while. The price on that same meat is now $10.99 per pound.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_p...s/15828191260/
        Last edited by Breadhead; March 1, 2015, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I got lucky the other day and one of the supermarket chains had choice chuck roasts for $3.99/lb. I bought 6, all 2+ pounds. Will grind some and do some pulled beef with some.

Comment

Zaycon Foods is offering a 36 lb. case of pork loin "meaty" back ribs for 3.79 lb. 12 racks per case, 12 ribs per rack, frozen.
            Is this a good deal?

Comment

Not really, in my opinion. "Meaty' back ribs generally means that that have a thick layer of loin meat on top. This meat is very lean and dry and not at all like rib meat. If you cook them low and slow to 185-195 IT, the loin meat will be like eating sawdust. In fact, Huskee trims the extra loin meat off the thick parts of baby backs before he cooks them. Also, $3.79/lb is not a very good price for BBRs. Around here, I can get them any day of the week, not case price, for $3.49/lb at BJ's. Sam's might be even cheaper.

DEW

Comment

• ontheranch
                ontheranch commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for all the info Dew! Think I'll pass on these.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                It's funny, but to me rib prices are kind of like gas prices. If I saw gas at $3.79/gal or ribs at $3.79/lb it would seem expensive, like last summer and the one before. Gas at $2something and the same for ribs, seems like a pretty good deal. If this makes sense to anyone but me.

I bought a case of pork back ribs from Krogers for $1.99lb

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you see the Boston Butts are $1.49?

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Medusa I get my Boston butts a Sam's club by the case

• ontheranch
                ontheranch commented
                Editing a comment
                Then these are way overpriced. Thanks, DW

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis