Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

How long Have We Been Grilling and BBQ or Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidNorcross
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Virginia
    • SNS Kamado
      Weber Summit S-670
      Camp Chef FTG 600
      Camp Chef Escape

Old Hickory Knives
      More Cast Iron than I care to admit

Same year I got married. So 39 years ago. Was not always as serious about it as I am now though. I will say this is clearly the best hobby, I have had, bar none.....

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to agree with you .
  • Cheef
    Banned Former Member
    • Oct 2015

My start was in 1979 at an oil field Camp in Waha, Libya. Food from the mess hall was so horrible the expats decided to start cooking our own. The supplies were good--the ''cooks/chefs'' were horrible. Plenty of talent and skills to build a hell of a nice smoker/grill. Got good enough at it I started doing it at home.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting story , that must have been quite the experience ?
  • kmwweiskircher
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Middleton, Idaho

Don’t remember a time when I wasn’t around a pit or grill of some sort!! I have a picture of my dad holding me as a toddler in one arm, a Lone Star or Schlitz in the other hand, standing in front of a sad looking pit with smoke curling up! (Yes smart a#%*es, there WERE cameras back then!!) He always let me “help” which created my love for outdoor cooking. (I lost that wonderful man last year and took quite a downward spiral!!) Been taking outdoor cooking more seriously the last 15 or so years. Found this site a few years ago and have tried many things I never thought I would. Now that I’m retired and getting back into “life”, I plan on taking it to yet another level!! Thank you AR and all of you regular posters!!!

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      kmwweiskircher Sorry to hear of your lost , congrats on your retirement . For all of us ,i think we made the right choice joining this site . Love reading your post . Thank you !
  • Oak Smoke
    Club Member
    • Aug 2018
    • Central Texas

I've been grilling for about 50 years. In the late 70's it wasn't unusual to be suck at a drilling rig for days at a time. Some of those rough necks were amazing on grills that they had talked a welder into throwing together for them. I still use some of those recipes today. As far as smoking, it's been 5 years. My first attempts were on a WSM, then a stick burner, and now a Kamado. Thanks to AR and the great people in the pit I've learned to make BBQ I'm proud of.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      That`s awesome !! good post .
  • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    Club Member
    • Jun 2018
    • Eastern NC
    • 2018 MAK 2 Star
      Charbroil Big Easy SRG

Been around the grill for about 35 years, my parents were huge on involving us kids in the cooking. Only been seriously grilling for maybe 20 years. Smoking is something I've always been interested in, but just never got around to it until about 8 years ago. I just love that there's always something new to learn and the same cut of meat can turn out so many different but delicious ways!

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you , my parents had us involved with everything. ya it is amazing what you can do with the same cut of meat .

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis