Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

How long Have We Been Grilling and BBQ or Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Blue Earth, Minnesota
    • LSG Adjustable Grill/Smoker, MAK Pellet Grill, Large BGE, Weber Gasser, Cast Iron Pans & Griddle, Grill Grates, Mostly Thermoworks Thermometers

Grilling (Burning & Charring) for about 40 years-------------BUT really working at for about 15 years. In those 15 years it has gotten progressively more intense and trying to improve the final product. Of course this site and all of you have helped me a lot. Thanks.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      I find doing this , increase your drive to improve and try different things . I remember
      doing my first brisket , what a disaster .

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      "progressively more intense" I like that! I think many of us are in that same boat!
  • Steve B
    Club Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Rockland county New York
    • Lonestar Grillz 24x36 offset smoker, grill, w/ main chamber charcoal grate and 3 tel-tru thermometers - left, right and center
      Yoke Up custom charcoal basket and a Grill Wraps cover.

22.5 copper kettle w/ SnS, DnG, BBQ vortex, gasket and stainless steel hinge kit.

Napoleon gas grill (soon to go bye bye) rotting out.

1 maverick et-733 digital thermometer - black
      1 maverick et-733 - gray
      1 new standard grilling remote digital thermometer
      1 thermoworks thermopen mk4 - red
      1 thermoworks thermopop - red

Pre Miala flavor injector
      taylor digital scale
      TSM meat grinder
      chefs choice food slicer
      cuisinhart food processor
      food saver vacuum sealer
      TSM harvest food dehydrator

If you count sneaking into the woods starting a little fire shoving hotdogs onto a stick and burning them. Than about 40 years.
    Real grilling for roughly 18 years. Got into smoking 12yrs ago. But got serious into Quing almost 3 years ago when I purchased my LSG offset and found this wonderful place I consider my to be my second family.
    Although this place has made my wallet quite a bit lighter.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      When I got my offset ,it was my pride and joy , for me it was the smell of wood burning
      the tinkering with it , and Joining this site was well worth it .
  • Lock Stock and Barrel
    Club Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Victoria, TEXAS

My Dad ran Caterpillar tractor sales in Houston so worked every Saturday. My mother asked me to grill hamburgers each Saturday from about the time I was 8 or so ,1965. Started Q'ing on a Little Smokey, then a Char Broil. Would use charcoal and hickory smoking chips. Went off to college and used a Hibachi and Little Smokey at school, then kept on Q'ing and smoking right through my wonder years of 20's and 30's and 40's on offsets and Charbroils. Chicken and ribs have always been my favorite. Tried a brisket about 2006 on an overnight smoke and wowweeee! Been hooked on brisket and ribs ever since. This sight and Meatheads book pushed me over the top! I have lots more friends now but not because of my social skills. You get the picture!

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup , I get the picture .

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I’ve had about three different sized Old Smokey’s, those cheap pits are legit
  • jgreen
    Charter Member
    • Oct 2014
    • Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
    • Cookers:
      Broil King XL
      Broil King Smoke
      Weber Kettle 26
      Grilla Pellet smoker
      Capital 40 natural gas
      Napoleon Pro 22 kettle

Thermometer:
      Maverick 733
      Thermapen (ok..4 thermapens)
      Thermo works DOT (or two)
      Fireboard (probably my favourite)
      Thermworks Smoke (or two)

Accessories:
      SnS (original, plus and XL)
      DnG pans, 6 or 7 of these
      Vortex
      Grillgrates
      and, maybe some other toys as well

My dad almost never used a barbecue at home although he would cook on a wood fire when we went camping in the summer. I started with a small charcoal hibachi when we got married 42 years ago, then moved on to a gasser for a long time. Got my first smoker about 5 years ago, found this site, and the equipment collection has been growing ever since.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      I can remember the weekends , we always had company my dad loved entertaining and barbecuing . when we got married we used a portable gas and
      a hibachi for the first year . we slowly worked our way up to what we have now .
  • Troutman
    Club Member
    • Aug 2017

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

I started with a little Habachi on my balcony in college. Used to do steaks and chicken on the thing. Guys in our house made me the “cook”. That was in 1970. Moved to Texas and started smoking in about 1980. Have never stopped. You do the math

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      It`s amazing how we all get the bug .
  • xaugievike
    Club Member
    • Jan 2017
    • Chicagoland
    • Weber Genesis 300 series
      Weber Summit Charcoal With custom grill center
      Primo XL 400
      Blackstone 22" TableTop Griddle
      Ooni Pro Pizza oven

My dad couldn't cook worth a darn (and he'd be the first to admit that he still cant)! But I always liked our "cookouts." In college a house we rented had a really old, and truly awful charcoal grill that me and my roommates learned to churn out tolerable and occasionally tasty burgers on. But it was after college when me and those same buddies started going to NASCAR events and tailgating that the hook got set in roughly 2001...That cheap, square grill turned into a weber kettle...I watched other tailgaters do their thing and that kettle turned into a (couple) of smokers and things ran from there. I don't think I got "good" at it until about 2012 though - and I'll readily admit that it was an electric smoker that turned the tide for me (with the help of an Amaz'n pellet tray). A major evolution though was about 2016 when I found this place by complete accident when I was researching what became my WSCG purchase decision.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember buy my weber kettle , couldn't wait to get it home to try it out .
  • mrteddyprincess
    Club Member
    • Sep 2018

1975 I was five years old. My dad had an orange cast aluminum kettle grill. He was a master at steak from our steers and BBQ chicken. Not so much with hamburgers.

1990s I was in my 20s and grilled regularly.

1996 the magic happened and I tasted true Q at a mom and pop store in Alabama. Came home and began the pursuit of that magic.

May 20th, 2018 I got even more serious and began documenting my cooks in a journal. 52 cooks since that date.

September 2018. Joined the Pit and with what I read on here and put into action, my friends admire the magic! I can't wait to keep learning from you people!

Thanks for sharing your magic.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      mrteddyprincess good post , and thank you for your comments .
  • Texas Larry
    Club Member
    • May 2017
    • Wilson County, TX
    • Kamado Joe Big Joe 2
      Weber 22” Premium/SNS
      Weber Jumbo Joe/SNS
      JoeTisserie
      Thermoworks Smoke
      Thermoworks 2K Thermocouple
      Thermapen
      Thermapop
      Thermoworks Dash
      Too many gadgets, accessories, and tools
      Favorite beer: Alaskan Amber

Started burning things on cheap grills about 1971 or so, about the time i got married. Started learning to smoke meat around 20 years ago on a good offset I wish I still had. Didn’t know what I had. Still a lot of learning to do! Thanks for this post.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      Texas Larry You are welcome !! You can`t beat a offset smoker when it comes to taste , I enjoy using mind . Thank you for your post .
  • IowaGirl
    Club Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Northeast Iowa, USA

My dad grilled burgers and chicken when I was a kid. When my family went camping, I liked to do dutch oven cooking on the campfire and did pretty well if I do say so myself. But serious smoking isn't something most backyard cooks do in rural Iowa -- it's just not part of the culture. While I have always liked to cook, I really don't recall doing much grilling until later in life after I bought an elderly Warm Morning (Broilmaster) grill from a former boss in the mid-1990s. I got pretty decent over the years at grilling burgers, chicken, chops, and country ribs, with an occasional rotisserie pork loin or whole chicken.

My friend Keenan got a smallish trailer-mounted offset smoker, oh, maybe 10-15 years ago. As the years went on and he got more experience cooking for larger groups, he would trailer his smoker down to our house to cook on Labor Day for a big gathering of our mutual friends. He also did a few BBQ competitions and I hung around him and his team at those events. After some years of seeing how much fun Keenan got out of smoking, I gradually got the hankering to get a simple smoker for myself. About 3 years ago I bought an inexpensive propane smoker and have started to gradually learn how to do this smoking thing, with mostly tasty results. I've smoked mostly the simpler, smaller cuts of meat so far, but I'm wanting to expand my repertoire.

I now have a handsome new propane grill to help me improve my grilling game, and I'm increasingly tempted to acquire a PBC to replace the propane smoker. (You guys are baaad influences!) But I still have a lot to learn, especially about smoking.
    Last edited by IowaGirl; February 23, 2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      The PBC is a GREAT companion to a gas grill.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, MBMorgan. Like I said, y'all are baaad influences for the health of my pocketbook! But I'm not complaining.
  • Old Glory
    Club Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Northshore MA
    • Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
      XL BGE
      DCS Gasser
      Humphrey's Cabinet Smoker
      Weber Performer

Slow & Sear
      Vortex
      Ceramic Grill Store Reducer Ring
      Woo Rig;
      Adjustable Rig
      BGE Pizza Stone
      FireBoard
      Pit Bull Fan
      Griddle Store Griddle

Been grilling for 35+ years. Started burning burgers and chicken and slowly improved my skills. Started smoking over the last three years. Joined here and bought some books and watched a ton of you tube and my skills have grown immeasurably.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      Old Glory like your post , you can get a lot of infor from books and you tube.
  • Jims backyard barbecue
    Former Member
    • Feb 2019

I have been grilling for about 40 years, but just started smoking in the last 6 months or so. I'm still learning, but have had some great success so far along with a couple failures.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      i think all of us had failures , you learn from it pretty quick , specially with the price of meat .
  • bardsleyque
    Club Member
    • Oct 2015
    • Snoqualmie Wa.

I had a smokey joe in the late 70's.That wasn't big enough,so I made a grill out of a 30 gallon drum,mounted on a shopping cart chassis.Used that till someone rolled it away on those handy cart wheels!
    That was all grilling lots of yardbird,burger's and steak.I was gifted a 26" weber in 89 I still have that with sns.
    In 92 tried making b.back ribs,just grilled them,my neighbors comment,Bardsley,Bardsley,Bardsley...got me to asking a pig roaster I met how to cook ribs."Well"he said "putt the coals on one side,ribs on the other" Those ribs came out great!That was on the weber and started me on the path to bbq.In 04 I got a cos and started doing shoulders and probably ruined a brisket or two.Got my big smoker in 07 or 08 found A.R. in 10 or 11 and you guys have been helping me up my game since!
    Thank's (hope this didn't put you all to sleep!}

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your post , happy grillin .
  • FishTalesNC
    Club Member
    • Dec 2017
    • Durham, NC

• Cookers
      • Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco
      • Weber Premium Kettle 26” w/ SNS XL
      • Weber Smokey Joe 14”
      • Pit Barrel Cooker

Thermometers
      • Fireboard Extreme BBQ Edition
      • ​​​​​​​Weber iGrill 2 w/ 1 ambient and 3 meat probes
      • Thermapen mk4

Accessories
      • Oklahoma Joe’s Triple Grate
      • Oklahoma Joe’s Super Skewers
      • ​​​​​​​Weber Gourmet BBQ System Pizza Stone
      • Weber Gourmet BBQ System Wok
      • EasySpin Cooking Grate (26”)
      • Custom Cut GrillGrates for SNS XL
      • Frogmat cut to fit 26" w/ SNS
      • Weber Original Rib Rack
      • Pampered Chef BBQ Pizza Pan (2)
      • Weber Chimney Starter (2)
      • Beast Armor Gloves
      • CharGon Grate Cleaner
      • PBC Chimney Starter
      • PBC Ash Pan
      • PBC Hinged Grate
      • PBC Corn Hanger
      • PBC Vertical Skewers (10" & 15")
      • PBC Sausage Hanger
      • PBC Basket Hanger

Growing up in the 70s and 80s, we burned meat on dad’s PK Grill (and loved it). I had a WSM in the mid-90’s that I rarely used, and when I did, as a grill. A decade in San Diego meant... no dogs AND no grills, no one renting allowed either *ppft* So when we moved back east I bought my Performer in 2007. Grilled both poorly and occasionally. In 2017 got tired of being completely incompetent and started reading... first attempt was smoking a brisket on that kettle using the snake method in Aug ‘17. Found AR, thank goodness.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      FishTalesNC There is alot of good books out there , I have about a dozen books
      that i use for referance .
  • Scout789
    Club Member
    • Jun 2018
    • Texas Gulf Coast
    • Smoker: Lyfe Tyme Offset. Firebox 16" Diameter X 16" Long. Cooking chamber 16" Diameter X 32" Long
      Grill: Lyfe Tyme 16" Diameter X 24" Long.
      Thermometer: Maverick ET-732 and XR50
      For smoking, I am a committed stick burner.
      For grilling, it's all about charcoal. Almost always HEB brand mesquite charcoal. If not that, then Kingsford mesquite charcoal.

Started learning from my dad as an early teen, which would have been about 1965-ish. Cooking on my own for real when i was on my on, as an adult, about 20 years old, which means about 47 years.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      Scout789 I like your post , Sure learnt a lot from my dad too .I see you have a stick burner too ,
      Love mind .
  • Lazy Layne
    Club Member
    • Jan 2019
    • Illinois

4 years ago is when I got big time into it

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      It `s a good hobby to get into and share with everybody .

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis